• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Local Elections 2019 - England

rainmaker

Administrator
Nearly 250 council elections ( 8,400 seats) and 11 mayoral elections are taking place across England today. I know there are also 11 councils in NI also holding an election day, but that is a matter for the NI forum.

Although the issues will predominately be local it is difficult not to see Brexit being a factor in these elections. Perhaps less so if at all in the Mayoral votes as Mayoral elections tend to polarize around individuals.

With this being the first real barometer of public opinion since the last general election it will be interesting to see if there are any clear messages from the electorate on national issues and what those messages might be.

Results are expected to come in throughout the night from midnight onward, with a clear picture emerging by early tomorrow morning.

rainmaker

Administrator
Still early, but only the Libdems and the Greens have increased their vote. In the case of the Libdems, astonishingly so, up almost 50%, gaining votes from both Conservative and Labour.

Quite damning for UKIP that these votes went to the Libdems & Greens rather than them. Still early hours yet though,

rainmaker

Administrator
To be fair it wasn't that long ago (2010) when the Lib Dems had over 1,700 seats.

2010 United Kingdom local elections - Wikipedia
Indeed, but coalition with the Tories did massive damage to their core support & we may be seeing that recovering now.

Interestingly, pundits on the BBC are saying that it seems the Tory vote has stayed at home in protest, rather than give their vote to UKIP in protest this time- which is a damning verdict on UKIPs swing to the far right under their current leader.

Farages new party could harm both the Tories and UKIP in the Euros.

rainmaker

Administrator
A lot of Labour voters seem to have stayed at home also. I'm following the results live on Twitter.
Possibly contributing to the Libems doing so well. It makes UKIPS failure to capitalize even more damning for them.

DJP

I'd imagine that (to correct my last post a bit) a substantial number of last time's Labour voters voted for the Lib Dems this time as well.

I'm not by the way staying up late just to follow the count but am awake anyway so am following it and going to fall asleep soon. I'm more interested in the LE results in the North of Ireland tomorrow.

rainmaker

Administrator
I'd imagine that (to correct my last post a bit) a substantial number of last time's Labour voters voted for the Lib Dems this time as well.

I'm not by the way staying up late just to follow the count but am awake anyway so am following it and going to fall asleep soon. I'm more interested in the LE results in the North of Ireland tomorrow.
I have a feeling they may be interesting as well.

Reactions: DJP

rainmaker

Administrator
Someone wondering on BBC Radio 5 where the UKIP voters have gone.

My guess is back to the parties they originally came from thanks to UKIPs swing to the far right. They were never really 'UKIP voters' in the way you think of other parties as having voters anyway.

What is damning for them is that this time round they have been largely ignored as a protest option for frustrated Brexiteers. Farage will sweep away most of their remaining voters at the Euros.

Con -86% Lab -49% Libdems +56%

Dearghoul

It's a damning verdict on Labours hedging, and must dent their confidence in insisting on a GE above any consideration of a further referendum.

DJP

Labour are doing poorly- but the Tories are doing worse so Labour might win the LE's which will strengthen their confidence for a general election sooner rather than later. The overall difference between them and the Tories, and whatever the strength of the Lib Dems turns out to be at the end, will be crucial though so we'll have to wait until all of the results are in tomorrow to know who is happier. :)

Dearghoul

To be in any way confident in their 'General Election or nothing' strategy they should have picked up a minimum of 500 council seats, from their extremely low base.

That doesn't appear to be the case.

cozzy121

Question. If Brexit wasn't happening would the local elections in the UK have occurred on the same day as the European elections? Would both elections have been held on the same day if the Brexit result have been NO in 2016.

rainmaker

Administrator
Question. If Brexit wasn't happening would the local elections in the UK have occurred on the same day as the European elections? Would both elections have been held on the same day if the Brexit result have been NO in 2016.
No, I think council elections are traditionally held in early May, and that usually applies to general elections as well - the European votes have almost always been in June, as long as I can remember anyway.

There can be exceptions to when general elections are concerned though.

rainmaker

Administrator
So big losses for the two major parties with the Tories taking the worst of them, UKIP have lost almost 60 of their councillors so far leaving them with only 17 councillors in England, the Libdems on the other hand have surged back with 300.

A huge blow to UKIP that, given the mess of Brexit, they were ignored by leave voters as a protest option. Moving far right & marching with Tommy Robinson, campaigning with Katie Hopkins & making Carl Benjamin their poster boy has cost them dearly.

The number of councils so far:

Con 36, Lab 37, Hung 25, Liberal Democrats 11

brughahaha

Of far more interest is where will the Unionist vote in NI go.......has the DUP's voter base stayed or deserted after their economic Brexit madness

rainmaker

Administrator
Generally I'm a Corbyn fan bit I think this comment from Anna Turley MP is quite on the mark.

View attachment 17908
Anna Turley MP
✔@annaturley

Stand in the middle of the road and you get run over in both directions.

:)
She makes an excellent point. There has been a lack of opposition from Labour, and what opposition there has been has sorely lacked conviction - it's difficult to see where they stand on the issue.

And those Remainers looking for a party have gone to the Libdems it seems.

rainmaker

Administrator
Or, the British public are unwilling to get behind a career Marxist and anti-Semite.
Well he very nearly won the last election 18 months ago

What is interesting is that after UKIPs move to the far right & sharing a platform with Tommy Robinson, admitting the likes of Sargon (Carl Benjamin) & katie Hopkins, they could lost the massive disgruntled Leave protest vote & they have collapsed.

The Libdems on the other hand have surged...

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies