• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Local Elections In England And Wales Tomorrow 2nd May

sport02

Tomorrow the English and Welsh head to the polls for local elections. Alot of chatter on how bad the Conservatives might do and will UKIP make considerable ground.

Most of these seats were last fought in 2009 when the Conservatives won seven in every 10 seats and took control of all but one of the English shire counties.

The Telegraph reports tonight that David Cameron is planning legislation that will introduce a safe guard before the current parliament term ends to ensure an EU referendum occurs in the next parliament.

Veteran Tory Ken Clarke has waded into his party's war of words with UKIP by branding them "a collection of clowns".

The pro-European cabinet minister said UKIP had no positive policies and was just "against" foreigners.
https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CDAQFjAA&url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22328898&ei=rIiBUczuDcS47AaGzIGYDw&usg=AFQjCNEY8WaKldyPz_yTmwE7qfhLpvqFSg&sig2=PYVAkH5KKjKNPNKZiw7bMA

Ed on the campaign trail earlier in the week.
The 200-strong gathering of pensioners, students and shoppers responded enthusiastically and bombarded Miliband with questions – some hostile – on issues covering immigration, crime and welfare. "There are far too many," one woman shouted out when Miliband touched on immigration. A pensioner then joined in. "No one is listening on immigrants," she said,
https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&ved=0CEcQFjAD&url=http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2013/apr/29/ed-miliband-raw-campaign&ei=94iBUfDaNeew7Ab924D4BA&usg=AFQjCNGpaC7dJQC1iGUlErRwvLJcLsLCuw&sig2=wH-3cJX3KpEvORbQQkNjUQ

The Liberal Democrats could be beaten in the local elections by the UK Independence Party, Nick Clegg has suggested.
https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&ved=0CD0QqQIwAg&url=http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/ukip/10031751/Nick-Clegg-suggests-Lib-Dems-could-be-beaten-by-Ukip.html&ei=14iBUdybL4fG7AbY24GwAQ&usg=AFQjCNFLRSpZF29GUBXj_3jO4k58TOkT8w&sig2=7l1pKVJzcU3KKcpMjXxBUw

Last edited:

karlfernswich

if I was a member of the liberal democrats party I'd be worried they could be wiped out like our greens.

Last edited:

Cai

Point of information.

Only Anglesey in Wales has an election. Their election was supposed to happen last year but was suspended by the Welsh Government when they got hacked off after years of corruption & gombeenism. They've changed the electoral system in an attempt to slay the gombeens.

Cai

if I was a member of the liberal party I'd be worried they could be wiped out like our greens.
Not that simple.

It's Labour that's hammering the Lib Dems, but most of the seats going are Tory ones. A slice of the Tory vote will be lopped off by UKIP, so the Lib Dems might not suffer the damage generally expected.

rainmaker

Administrator
With a coalition government rather than the usual majority administration in power, I expect the results to be a little more significant than usual for the national picture.

Cai

With a coalition government rather than the usual majority administration in power, I expect the results to be a little more significant than usual for the national picture.
You're correct.

A good day for UKIP, followed by another (inevitable) one in the Euros next year will set them up for the Generals in 2015. A good vote for UKIP then will damage the Tories & help Labour. 1983 in reverse if you like.

Ren84

Wonder how well Labour under posh boy Ed Miliband will do. Not really much of a choice for the English, just three rubbish parties. I expect turnout to be below 50%.

BTW, what is wrong with local elections in GB? They seem to have local elections every year, with some councils, primarily in England having elections, while neighbouring counties and districts not having any vote at all. Surely our system of all local authorities having elections on the same day, and coinciding with European elections is far better, and more simpler to boot?

Cai

Wonder how well Labour under posh boy Ed Miliband will do. Not really much of a choice for the English, just three rubbish parties. I expect turnout to be below 50%.

BTW, what is wrong with local elections in GB? They seem to have local elections every year, with some councils, primarily in England having elections, while neighbouring counties and districts not having any vote at all. Surely our system of all local authorities having elections on the same day, and coinciding with European elections is far better, and more simpler to boot?
You've got tens of thousands of councillors in the UK as well as different sorts of councils. The system is far more complex.

sport02

Most recent national poll across the water from two days ago. Record high for UKIP with YouGov.
YouGov poll, which has topline figures of CON 30%, LAB 39%, LD 11%, UKIP 14%. The UKIP score is the highest that YouGov have yet shown for the party

electoralshock

I say the Greens would be hoping to capitialise on the collapse of a Lib Dem vote. They will be hoping to build on the vote in the General election and add to Caroline Lucas seat. Lucas stood down as leader to allow others to raise their profiles.

Ren84

You've got tens of thousands of councillors in the UK as well as different sorts of councils. The system is far more complex.
I know that. The problem is the myriad of different types of councils, with no uniform standard of local government in place for England, like in NI, Scotland and Wales. You have 27 two-tier shire counties, with districts below them; 32 London borough districts; 36 metropolitan unitary districts and 55 regular unitary authorities. Surely it would be simpler to have a uniform two-tier system for the entire country of England, instead of the current mess the English tolerate?

Cai

I say the Greens would be hoping to capitialise on the collapse of a Lib Dem vote. They will be hoping to build on the vote in the General election and add to Caroline Lucas seat. Lucas stood down as leader to allow others to raise their profiles.
The Greens aren't really in the running. Political space has been created for UKIP by the collapse of the BNP & the formation of the Coalition. Thst event has dragged the Tories leftwards & made the Lib Dem an unsuitable destination for the protest vote. UKIP are picking up most of that.

jackryan

Lucas should have stayed as leader it would have raised their profile!

rainmaker

Administrator
A good day for UKIP, followed by another (inevitable) one in the Euros next year will set them up for the Generals in 2015. A good vote for UKIP then will damage the Tories & help Labour. 1983 in reverse if you like.
I think it's going to be an interesting barometer, that's for sure.

Cai

I know that. The problem is the myriad of different types of councils, with no uniform standard of local government in place for England, like in NI, Scotland and Wales. You have 27 two-tier shire counties, with districts below them; 32 London borough districts; 36 metropolitan unitary districts and 55 regular unitary authorities. Surely it would be simpler to have a uniform two-tier system for the entire country of England, instead of the current mess the English tolerate?
Also loads of town & parish councils.

It would be simpler, but it won't happen - there's no will for it to happen.

There's also a practical problem. If you hold the locals near the time of the GE, the councils will always reflect the Westminster government. If you do it half term they'll always be opposed to the government. Straddle them out & they reflect politics over the whole of the electoral cycle. That's healthier.

Cai

I think it's going to be an interesting barometer, that's for sure.
Yes.

A recent poll taken specifically for the 2013 locals put UKIP on 22%. Unless their vote is very evenly distributed they'll get well over 100 councillors on that - & greatly damage the Tories to Labour's advantage.

rainmaker

Administrator
Surely it would be simpler to have a uniform two-tier system for the entire country of England, instead of the current mess the English tolerate?
The system isn't really that complex, and I don't know of anyone particularly struggling. All you really need to understand is what type of authority you are voting for, rather than the types of authority in other areas.

Having one, uniform system of local authority that works just as effectively for inner city boroughs as it does for rural areas or medium sized conurbations is totally unviable.

Ren84

Also loads of town & parish councils.

It would be simpler, but it won't happen - there's no will for it to happen.

There's also a practical problem. If you hold the locals near the time of the GE, the councils will always reflect the Westminster government. If you do it half term they'll always be opposed to the government. Straddle them out & they reflect politics over the whole of the electoral cycle. That's healthier.
I never said to hold local elections around the time of the GE. They should hold the elections instead at the same time as the Euro elections, a nice midpoint between general elections.

Cai

I never said to hold local elections around the time of the GE. They should hold the elections instead at the same time as the Euro elections, a nice midpoint between general elections.
That would put opposition parties in virtual perpetual control of local government.

Ren84

The system isn't really that complex, and I don't know of anyone particularly struggling. All you really need to understand is what type of authority you are voting for, rather than the types of authority in other areas.

Having one, uniform system of local government that works just effectively for inner city boroughs as it does for rural areas or medium sized conurbations is totally unviable.
Not really. Japan, a country with twice as many people as the whole UK. And not to mention wildly different localities ranging from extremely dense urban jungles to sparsely populated townlands, successfully manages uniform multi tier local government.

A bit closer to home in Germany, with its 80 million people, has a uniform system of states and local government. The English model is mental, and completely illogical.

See for yourself.................

Apologies to those with rubbish bandwidths.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies