• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Local Elections in Meath 2009

bradán feasa

Since other constituencies have started their Local election discussion threads may tis time to start one on the royal?

As I understand it here is the make up of the relevant local authorities. Correct me if I’m wrong.

Meath County Council- 29 seats

FF 12 (down 2 from 1999)
FG 9 (down 2 from 1999)
SF 2 (up 1 from 1999)
Green 1 (up 1 from 1999)
NP 5 (up 2 from 1999)

Trim Town Council – 9 seats

2 FG
2 FF
1 SF
1 Lab
3 None Party

Navan Town Council -9 seats

4 FF
2 SF
2 FG
1 NP

Kells Town Council – 9 seats

4 FF
2 Lab
1 SF
1 FG
1 NP

Some would say that FF through luck and good vote management held on to vulnerable seats at the last election, can they do it again?

FG were weakened through out the county in 2004 especially in the north of the county. Will they see the GE resurgence follow through at the locals?

SF have been very active in a number of major campaigns through out the county, not least the hospital campaign and the pylon campaign, will they see further growth at County Council Level?

Labour are strong in isolated pockets in the county. Lack of an organisation may prevent growth though.

Greens too are haphazard at best in their organisation in the county but will their current riding high in the polls help them get seats?

The PDs...who?

The winners/losers? Any thoughts?

Dunny

Website
www.donnachamaguire.com
bradán feasa said:
Since other constituencies have started their Local election discussion threads may tis time to start one on the royal?

As I understand it here is the make up of the relevant local authorities. Correct me if I’m wrong.

Meath County Council- 29 seats

FF 12 (down 2 from 1999)
FG 9 (down 2 from 1999)
SF 2 (up 1 from 1999)
Green 1 (up 1 from 1999)
NP 5 (up 2 from 1999)

Trim Town Council – 9 seats

2 FG
2 FF
1 SF
1 Lab
3 None Party

Navan Town Council -9 seats

4 FF
2 SF
2 FG
1 NP

Kells Town Council – 9 seats

3 FF
2 Lab
1 SF
1 FG
2 NP

Some would say that FF through luck and good vote management held on to vulnerable seats at the last election, can they do it again?

FG were weakened through out the county in 2004 especially in the north of the county. Will they see the GE resurgence follow through at the locals?

SF have been very active in a number of major campaigns through out the county, not least the hospital campaign and the pylon campaign, will they see further growth at County Council Level?

Labour are strong in isolated pockets in the county. Lack of an organisation may prevent growth though.

Greens too are haphazard at best in their organisation in the county but will their current riding high in the polls help them get seats?

The PDs...who?

The winners/losers? Any thoughts?
Kells Town Council has 4 Fianna Fail councillors

Dunny

Website
www.donnachamaguire.com
stretchneil said:
Dunny said:
stretchneil said:
I think one of the independent county councillors has rceently joined Labour.
This was the guy co-opted to replace Dominic...
Aye - can't remember his name....
His name is Eoin Holmes from the Slane Electoral Area

bradán feasa

When you guys are finished playing footsie can you shed any light on reasonable expectations in LE09

stretchneil

Not my area, so I really don't know. I was just pointing out that there are now 4 Inds on the CoCo, and 1 Labour.

Aidan1

Dunny's the expert here..........thought you were running for Kells Town Council........

Rumour has it that Kells Electoral will loose a seat going from 6 seats to 5 seats (3FF 2FG 1SF). All I can say here is that there are 2 certain FF seats and 1 certain FG seat.....after that all bets are off...Quota will be significantly higher next around..........

Dunny

Website
www.donnachamaguire.com
Aidan1 said:
Dunny's the expert here..........thought you were running for Kells Town Council........

Rumour has it that Kells Electoral will loose a seat going from 6 seats to 5 seats (3FF 2FG 1SF). All I can say here is that there are 2 certain FF seats and 1 certain FG seat.....after that all bets are off...Quota will be significantly higher next around..........
I wouldnt like to declare too early now¬¬

The rumour is only a rumour so far. If it does lose a seat, it is expected that FF will aim for the 3 out going councillors to be returned i.e. Liz McCormack (Athboy), Brian Reilly (Kells) and Michael Lynch (Oldcastle). If it remains as a 6 seater, the party will undoubtedly look for the 4th seat back and target the Sinn Fein seat held currently by Michael Gallagher. Dominic Moran would I expect be the candidate.

We expect to make gains on all the TC's and electoral areas in Meath West. Im not sure about Meath East but with the abysmal showing in 2004, gains are there for the taking

bradán feasa

Considering that Michael Gallagher topped the poll at the last outing and that he is recognised a extremely hard working and likeable councillor would you not be better advised to employ some strategic thinking in with your targeting decisions?

bradán feasa

I reckon on a good day it is within SF's ability to win the following

Kell Town 2 Seats
Kells area 1 Seat

Navan Town 3 Seats
Navan area 2 Seats

Trim Town 1 Seat
Trim County 1 Seat

Slane Area 1 Seat
Ashbourne Area 1 Seat

mmclo

Big changes in Boundary review, Trim and Kells loose seat, Slane and Dunshaughlin gain them

bradán feasa

Interesting changes indeed. It looks like FF and FG will be a seat down each in Meath at the very least. The Slane area could well be SF gain and I reckon the Dunshaughlin area could be a Labour or SF gain. What say the old establishment parties??