Local Elections in Meath 2009

Aidan1

Bradan,

Read your post with interest. Where exactly do you expect FF and FG to lose seats?.

You PREDICT a SF or LAB in Dunshaughlin......don't think so even though I wouldn't be familar with that end of the county........SF had 2.97% of the vote in 2004 and LAB 4.87%.....a long way short of a seat.....FF, FG or a strong IND would be my prediction.....Conor Tormay FF lost his seat in 2004 and Regina Doherty FG had a great first time performance in 2007 General Election in Meath East.

AGAIN......In Slane SF had 7.34% in 2004....and Joanne Finnegan received only 677 votes in Slane Area in General Election in 2007.....a long way short of a seat......

In the area I'm most familar with Kells, it will take a mighty effort for Michael Gallagher to retain his seat in 2009 as the quota will be much higher (2167 based on 2004 turnout.

fatcat

I reckon on a good day it is within SF's ability to win the following

Kell Town 2 Seats
Kells area 1 Seat

Navan Town 3 Seats
Navan area 2 Seats

Trim Town 1 Seat
Trim County 1 Seat

Slane Area 1 Seat
Ashbourne Area 1 Seat
Think your right in Kells and Navan.
Caroline Lynch will comfortably hold her seat in Trim town, but has no chance in Trim area now that a seat has been lost. I imagine Cantwell will be the loser here.

Slane Area should be a seat, but Seamus Lynch who stood last time is unlikely to go again.
Ashbourne should also be a happy hunting ground but there is a lack of organisation on the ground - if this was put in place immediately a seat would be possible.

Ozzie

It seems Dominic Hannigan is now senator and not around that much. Its a pity he was a very good worker and
did a huge amount for the area. He will be a huge loss. It is good though to see new faces around East meath and Joanne Finnegan of Sinn Fein seems to be have alot of stuff in the papers and on local radio. I think she's a physiotherapist or maybe a nurse, she works for the health board anyway so thats a good thing. She was involved in setting up that school in mornington and with the way things are going in that area with the school places id give her credit for that. It will be interesting to see if she gets a seat. It depends on how the new labour one will get on i think. If he builds on Hannigans work he'll keep the seat anyway. If he is as good a worker as hannigan he will be ok.

fatcat

Ozzie said:
It seems Dominic Hannigan is now senator and not around that much. Its a pity he was a very good worker and
did a huge amount for the area. He will be a huge loss. It is good though to see new faces around East meath and Joanne Finnegan of Sinn Fein seems to be have alot of stuff in the papers and on local radio. I think she's a physiotherapist or maybe a nurse, she works for the health board anyway so thats a good thing. She was involved in setting up that school in mornington and with the way things are going in that area with the school places id give her credit for that. It will be interesting to see if she gets a seat. It depends on how the new labour one will get on i think. If he builds on Hannigans work he'll keep the seat anyway. If he is as good a worker as hannigan he will be ok.
It will be interesting to see if she get the party nomination - not guaranteed as there is at least one other nomination. Sinéad Burke - a very formidable candidate.

Ozzie

What about the woman representing Fianna Gael she should be in with a shout. Whats her background?

Ozzie

Sinead Burke, never heard of her. Id say Joanne Finnegan will definitely get the nomination from the shinners cause she is the girl who stood in the general and she has built up the profile working in the area. Theyd be mad not to nominate her, it doesnt matter how "formidable" the other candidate as its the one that is in the area that does the work that counts for voters. Just heard from a very reliable source that PD Girl Cambell is waiting in the wings. She hasnt been seen around the area since last election but she will still pick up the votes i guess.

fatcat

Ozzie said:
Sinead Burke, never heard of her. Id say Joanne Finnegan will definitely get the nomination from the shinners cause she is the girl who stood in the general and she has built up the profile working in the area. Theyd be mad not to nominate her, it doesnt matter how "formidable" the other candidate as its the one that is in the area that does the work that counts for voters. Just heard from a very reliable source that PD Girl Cambell is waiting in the wings. She hasnt been seen around the area since last election but she will still pick up the votes i guess.
Regarding the Sinn Féin nomination - both are good candidates. Sinéad comes from Slane and would be well known there - which Joanne isn't.

Serena Campbell - is she still with the PDs or has she jumped ship yet. I presume you don't mean she is waiting in the wings for SF!

bradán feasa

I imagine Cllr Michael Gallagher will hold North Meath, he did top the poll last time out and its excepted that he does serious work on the ground.

Both Sinéad and Joanne are good candidates however Sinéad would probably be better known within the Meath organisation due to being chair for the Navan Cumann for 3 years (before she moved to the Slane area).

Cllr Peadar Tóibín has a good chance of taking the second seat in the Navan County Area. He has devloped a name for hard work in the constituency since 2003. All in all I expect SF to increase from 2 County Councillors to 4 and maybe 5 on a very good day.

Serena Campbell has been invisible since the last election and it would be very difficult to see her taking a seat. The PD vote will prob go to FG.

Labour have little organisation on the ground other than a number of individuals so out side a very favourable tail wind its hard to see any advances.

I read in the Meath Chronicle that the Enfeild FG Cumann met to select some so and so for the local elections and also discussed the fall out of their Lisbon Defeat. It struck me that the Cumann must not have met since June 13th. Which to a Shinner seems mad. How often do ye peeps in the other parties actually meet?

Dunny

Website
www.donnachamaguire.com
In the Kells LEA, FF will hold its 3 seats. Three good candidates, spread around the area. Brian Reilly in Kells, Michael Lynch in Oldcastle and new Cathaoirleach of Meath Co Co, Liz McCormack in Athboy.

In Navan, I expect Shane Cassell, Tommy Reilly, Padraig Fitzsimons and possibly Marguerite Fitz to be elected.

I know nothing about the Trim area.

Kells TC: I am a candidate for the FF Nomination.....

As for Sireana vote, majority will go to Ff, some to FG and some to Lab

Aidan1

Dunny,

At long last.......you finally declare...........Best of luck.......you're a sho-in in FF heartland.........

Aidan1

Dunny,

Best of luck with the nomination.........See u have ur boxing gloves off on ur website.................!!!!!!!
You've been very quiet on the letters page of the Chronicle lately.........................

Dunny

Website
www.donnachamaguire.com
Aidan1 said:
Dunny,

Best of luck with the nomination.........See u have ur boxing gloves off on ur website.................!!!!!!!
You've been very quiet on the letters page of the Chronicle lately.........................
Yeah,

Im going to start hitting hard!!

As for the letters...they shall be started again!!!

croppyboy

Best of luck Dunny!!!

So next year we'll have P.ie posts directly from the council chambers!! (Assuming the expenses stretch to blackberries :)

croppyboy

Dunny said:
croppyboy said:
Best of luck Dunny!!!

So next year we'll have P.ie posts directly from the council chambers!! (Assuming the expenses stretch to blackberries :)
Sure Ill have a laptop wont I lol ;)

How goes ur campaign for world domination?
Pretty good thanks. Nominated by my cumann last June :)

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies