Local Government Watch

Brehon

Website
www.irishliberalparty.org
Can we start a thread on wastage within local government. This needs people in the know. What sparked off this idea off is the Frontline programme on 15th where the Dublin Chambers of Commerce rep said that Dublin city council had 49 director of services compared to 4 in Fingal.
If anyone knows of specific wastage policies or practices can they post them here. If government did it, it would cost €10 million and take a year. We can save them money and post them a list of savings to implement.
Even if a quango or general government waste put up here as well
Thanks

#1 : Dublin City council has 49 Directors of Services compared to 4 in Fingal
#2 :

cllr

Not sure where this came from as Dublin City Council has NO Directors of Services.

Socratus O' Pericles

Well Ccclr that's being slightly disingenuous.

The point is that allowing for some differentials there is a grade of Principal Officer which has a number of anolouges (e.g. DoS,Executive Manager, Head of Function).

As I understand it there are 46 people at this level in DCC. Whatdo they all do?

Fingal has 4 DoS but it also has 4 Heads of Function.So 8 people at the analogous level.
This is still a huge disparity.

Local Government nmeeds to be looked at critically. Better Local Government was anexercise in padding.

5 Local Authorites is enough for Ireland.Each with an Executive/Mayor accountable to the public at election time.

Staff could be cut at senior levels and throughout the administration and services areas.

I mean what does a Community & Enterprise section actually do?

cllr

Well Ccclr that's being slightly disingenuous.

The point is that allowing for some differentials there is a grade of Principal Officer which has a number of anolouges (e.g. DoS,Executive Manager, Head of Function).

As I understand it there are 46 people at this level in DCC. Whatdo they all do?

Fingal has 4 DoS but it also has 4 Heads of Function.So 8 people at the analogous level.
This is still a huge disparity.

Local Government nmeeds to be looked at critically. Better Local Government was anexercise in padding.

5 Local Authorites is enough for Ireland.Each with an Executive/Mayor accountable to the public at election time.

Staff could be cut at senior levels and throughout the administration and services areas.

I mean what does a Community & Enterprise section actually do?

i would hate to be rightly accused of being disingenuous. Directors of Services we do not have in DCC. There is a Manager and four ( previously five) assistant Managers.

These Director of Services, along with Strategic Policy Committees, Corporate Policy Groups, City and County Development Boards etc etc were IMPOSED on Local Government - we did not seek them and anyone who cares at all about Local Government or indeed about Ireland would get rid of them. They were designed by the Department of EH&LG to deflect Councillors from meaningful work not assist us or the people we represent.

Socratus O' Pericles

i would hate to be rightly accused of being disingenuous. Directors of services we do not have in dcc. There is a manager and four ( previously five) assistant managers.

These director of services, along with strategic policy committees, corporate policy groups, city and county development boards etc etc were imposed on local government - we did not seek them and anyone who cares at all about local government or indeed about ireland would get rid of them. They were designed by the department of eh&lg to deflect councillors from meaningful work not assist us or the people we represent.
+1

+1:d

Socratus O' Pericles

I fully believe you D. Although I did have a quick peep at the latest Annual reports ;)

Dublin City Council: Annual Reports

So what was yer man bluffing on about then I wonder ? I forget who he was now ... Chambers Ireland or something ...
He wasn't bluffing that much there are in excess of 50 people on PO salary (c.90,000 Euro) or greater in DCC.

EvotingMachine0197

He wasn't bluffing that much there are in excess of 50 people on PO salary (c.90,000 Euro) or greater in DCC.
Well they do have 6,500 employees on the books, so I don't know if 50 POs is a good or bad ratio.

They guy on the telly explicitly stated DCC had 49 Directors though, which clearly is false.

JoeHickey

1. About 50% of cllrs are wasters. Look at some of the expenses they claim.

2. End conference expenses, (save maby 1-2 a year per cllr - liked to what they work at on council) Conferences are used by a lot of cllrs to top up their salary. They only go to sign and claim theri expenses.

http://www.politics.ie/limerick/142111-revealed-limerick-councillors-conferences-expenses-details.html

3. Directors of service, how many does a council need. Get rid of all director of services. Hav a City manager and assistane.

4. Stop payments to Chair of SPCs

Last edited:

Luigi Vampa

In most local authorities, it used to be a county engineer and a county secretary reporting to a county manager. These were replaced with multiple levels of administration managers as per the HSE. How many feckin managers do doctors or engineers really need ? I’d say they’d be free to do a far better and more effective job without all these layers of managers inventing paperwork and bureaucracy and meetings to preserve themselves. Worst of all, all these managers in the local authorities then in turn report to civil servant managers in the dept. of the environment in Dublin regarding funding and policies etc, and the HSA ones report to more managers and policy makers in the Dept. of health in Dublin. It's a layer upon layer of management madness. All these so called managers in the PS should be the first for the hatchet.

Inda Kenny

Scrap all 47 I kid you not 47 town councils How can a town like Templemore justify a town council.

wombat

Recently got a leaflet from a councillor in DLRCoCo. One of those lists of useful phone numbers you get with a councillor's photo on it and their clinic details. In DL council area there is one fire station, 5 Garda stations reasonably located but what really tickled my fancy is there are 5 different phone numbers dealing with dog problems. There are multiple numbers for planning, litter, various welfare, but I really laughed at the dog numbers.
Imagine the conversation:"I want to report a stray dog", "Sorry, wrong number, I only deal with Sh1t"

Brehon

Website
www.irishliberalparty.org
Would it be possible to get an organisational structure chart from the local governments. This info should be upfront. There is no reason it shouldn't be available. This would help to see through the fog of local government. Basically it seems to me there is no-one or group that audits LG on a regular basis. The dept of Env is a joke in this respect.

cllr

Would it be possible to get an organisational structure chart from the local governments. This info should be upfront. There is no reason it shouldn't be available. This would help to see through the fog of local government. Basically it seems to me there is no-one or group that audits LG on a regular basis. The dept of Env is a joke in this respect.
In fact every Local Council has an Audit Committee - comprised of a majority of outsiders, in our case that includes reps of the Chamber of Commerce, Institute of Accountants, UCD and DIT.

DCC is then audited by the Local Government Auditor and in turn is answerble to the Comptroller and Auditor General and ultimtely the Public Accounts Committee.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies