Location of Speed cameras!

spidermom

The rationale is that they're about reducing offences not catching offenders.
reducing offenses in the areas that the speed cameras are located you mean!!....:)

dent

That is the idea... given that the locations chosen are those with a higher than average number of collisions.
I wonder how long that will last for, before they switch to revenue raising ?

LeDroit

There's a App for the iPhone based on this site. Already downloaded it. ;)

tellis1

Thanks for the link. I just have looked at a road I travel -Limerick to castleisland and see that the Limerick side of abbeyfeale which is one of the best passing areas on this road is marked proliferously with red. I hope these cameras focus on the continous white lines and blind bends rather than the only passing options where people finally get a chance to pass the 1987 horsebox towing pajero in the middle of the road at 40 miles an hour.

HanleyS

I wonder how long that will last for, before they switch to revenue raising ?
The original plan, which may have since changed, was to have them overt for an initial phasing in and then covert once they're embedded.

Glucose

Can you get a Sat Nav and download the map on to it? and will it tell you where speed cameras are?

A view from England

Can you get a Sat Nav and download the map on to it? and will it tell you where speed cameras are?
In the UK my TOMTOM sat nav has an updatable facility that warns who when approaching a speed camera site. Useful if you are unfamiliar with an area. That said, fines for speeding are optional. If you do not speed you will never get a ticket. Easy really.

owedtojoy

Can someone put me straight on this ... these speed camera are mobile (in unmarked cars and vans), not permanent fixtures like the old ones?

Feelinglost

In the UK my TOMTOM sat nav has an updatable facility that warns who when approaching a speed camera site. Useful if you are unfamiliar with an area. That said, fines for speeding are optional. If you do not speed you will never get a ticket. Easy really.
I suggest that you read the Garda yearly report 2008 and 2009 to get a view of the bigger picture. When the Dual carriage ways are tolled via the real time scanning abilities of these cameras, the last of you worries will be speeding fines, but hey if you never travel sure you'll never have to pay for the privilege. Easy really.

DaveM

Can someone put me straight on this ... these speed camera are mobile (in unmarked cars and vans), not permanent fixtures like the old ones?
There will be fixed and mobile cameras. As far as I know the fixed cameras will go live between now and February. The mobile traps will be in marked vans at the published locations. They won't be hidden.

A view from England

I suggest that you read the Garda yearly report 2008 and 2009 to get a view of the bigger picture. When the Dual carriage ways are tolled via the real time scanning abilities of these cameras, the last of you worries will be speeding fines, but hey if you never travel sure you'll never have to pay for the privilege. Easy really.
What have tolls got to do with speeding cameras? Different subject. You can avoid speeding fines by not speeding. You can opt to pay for the use of a tolled road or go the long and slow way around and not pay a toll. Simples. Sat Navs will display speed camera sites (both fixes sites and the area where mobile cameras can be situated) and toll roads too. I suggest if you are concerned about paying for tolls that you buy one or at leats consult a map.:)

Tigris Celtica

Why aren't the guards putting their efforts into catching the real criminals instead of this kind of rubbish ?

Feelinglost

What have tolls got to do with speeding cameras? Different subject. You can avoid speeding fines by not speeding. You can opt to pay for the use of a tolled road or go the long and slow way around and not pay a toll. Simples. Sat Navs will display speed camera sites (both fixes sites and the area where mobile cameras can be situated) and toll roads too. I suggest if you are concerned about paying for tolls that you buy one or at leats consult a map.:)
The technology being used has the ability to scan all registration plates in real time and store them on a database. Our Government have previously suggested tolling Dual carriageways, and all the people laughed, as they thought they could never afford to install all the toll booths. :roll: Sure, it won't happen straight away, but mark my words it is not far away. You can come back to this thread in a year or so, and I will accept your apology. :)

borntorum

You can avoid speeding fines by not speeding.
Indeed. I never understand the spluttering outrage of Jeremy Clarkson wannabees who think that speed cameras are a gross infringement of their human right to threaten their own lives and those of other road users. Excessive speed kills. The authorities are right to (a) try to encourage lawful driving, and (b) try to catch those breaking the law.

Why aren't the guards putting their efforts into catching the real criminals instead of this kind of rubbish ?

Baron von Biffo

There's a App for the iPhone based on this site. Already downloaded it. ;)
Back in the 90s I knew a guard who told me of a system they used in her area for a time. They would set up a speed-trap with a patrol car which would catch a few speeders but would be spotted by many others. Drivers who were disposed to break the law would feel 'safe' having passed the marked car and put the boot down only to be nabbed by the unmarked unit half a mile down the road.

She told me they ordered to stop it and got strong hints that there was political pressure from on high. Who knows though, maybe an enterprising traffic officer might find that a kilometre past a gatso van is fertile ground in the future.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies