Lockerbie 'bomber' released .

stewiegriffin

Any views ? Im somewhat indifferent myself . I feel that we still dont know what really happened and its all very murky . On a human level , I am glad that he was released . I feel sorry for the victims families as they may never get real justice . In my opinion, allowing a 'scapegoat' to rot in jail while the masterminds were still around , would be an injustice too.

spidermom

In two minds also...but having read this.....

...The Libyan man jailed for the 1988 Lockerbie bombing has arrived home from Scotland to a joyous reception after being freed on compassionate grounds.

Hundreds of young people waving Libyan and Scottish flags greeted the aircraft carrying Abdelbaset Ali Mohmet al-Megrahi as it landed in Tripoli amid heavy security.

He emerged from the plane wearing a dark suit, his hand held by Libyan leader Moamer Kadhafi's son Seif al-Islam, who was in the delegation that flew to Scotland to bring him home.

Loudspeakers pumped out patriotic songs ahead of a celebration in the heart of the Libyan capital that Megrahi was expected to attend.....

RTÉ News: Lockerbie bomber arrives back in Libya

I now feel uncomfortable....very!!!!

stewiegriffin

Trailerpark America is apopleptic!
Is that Hilarys new nickname ? Did you see 'Trailerpark America' in Africa there awhile back ?Shes 'outpalin Palin' !

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdG6KFGHRfg"]YouTube - Hillary Clinton Loses it in The Democratic Republic of Congo[/ame]

dunno

Article on the topic

This mentions doubts about the Libyan's conviction. David Horovitz, one correspondent or columnist for the Irish Times, and latterly editor of Jerusalem Post wrote of a Scottish judicial review that it contained “no witnesses or forensic evidence tying Megrahi to the bomb itself.” The possibility is the release was a way of avoiding a quashing of the Libyan's conviction while at the same time securing British oil interests. It is a bit sordid.

H.R. Haldeman

I have been thoroughly sickened - but unsurprised - by US reaction to this. They really do think they are the centre of the universe and that other nations and peoples are just an annoyance or there to faciltate US interests. This is even more sickening when you consider we are dealing with a civilised democracy in the UK who are well capable of making just decisions on their own. The Americans seem to be looking down their nose at the Scottish justice system as though it were Somalia or something.

Although, I did think it was noticeable last night that when Hilary Clinton condemned the decision, she blinked her eyes, stuttered and bowed her head - clear evidence in her body language that she didn't believe what she was saying, just taking a position. I don't hold this against her because in politics you have to swallow the sh1t sometimes, but it told me that this rumpus will die down soon as the Administration has no stomach to take it much further.

Another interesting aspect is religion. A Sky report last week said that Scottish Presbyterian notions of compassion in justice played a part in the decision. Rather ironic given many of the US families invoke religion too to justify not releasing the Lybian. Says a lot about religion and the societies they develop in. Needless to say it speaks well of Scotland and badly of the US.

Fwiw, I find the Scottish argument on compassion - that the just are just irrespective of how unjust the criminal - to be noble and convincing.

lapsedmethodist

Article on the topic

This mentions doubts about the Libyan's conviction. David Horovitz, one correspondent or columnist for the Irish Times, and latterly editor of Jerusalem Post wrote of a Scottish judicial review that it contained “no witnesses or forensic evidence tying Megrahi to the bomb itself.” The possibility is the release was a way of avoiding a quashing of the Libyan's conviction while at the same time securing British oil interests. It is a bit sordid.
On the other hand in last weeks Observer, Nic Cohen said that he's seen evidence, which when released, will leave no-one in any doubt that Megrahi was at least one of the guilty parties.

On the other hand in last weeks Observer, Nic Cohen said that he's seen evidence, which when released, will leave no-one in any doubt that Megrahi was at least one of the guilty parties.
Cohen has gone over the side. He was duped by powers that be on Iraq and I suspect he's being duped here. The evidence at trial was appallingly poor (an eyewitness identification by a man who admitted he had looked at a picture of the defendant in a magazine a few days before), and what was witheld was startling (that the type of device was identical to that used in Germany by Palestinian extremists sponsored through Syria and Iran that same year). The man is probably innocent, but absolutely should not have been convicted or even gone to trial.

liamfoley

And how the Gipper would have scrambled the F-16's!

Lordy lord. Please vote YES to help distance us from these ghastly people !
Ghastly? People who are angry that the person guilty for the murder of their family go free? People that find that wrong need to deal with their own anger issues rather than call people who are still grieving schoolyard names.

lapsedmethodist

Ghastly? People who are angry that the person guilty for the murder of their family go free? People that find that wrong need to deal with their own anger issues rather than call people who are still grieving schoolyard names.
None of the people on that site have relatives involved. If they had, I wouldn't have posted what I did.

netron

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies