London Banks moving to Dublin ? : does Nigel know we will force his kids to learn Irish at school ?

Spirit Of Newgrange

London Banks moving to Dublin ? : does Nigel know we will force his kids to learn Irish at school ?

Inward Investment. UK banks looking at Frankfurt, Paris, Brussels, or even to Dublin and the Financial services centre. This could represent a massive boon to the economy of whichever cities will be the winners.

When looking at a new city to relocate, we can be confident that Bankers look at a number of factors. These could include :

- Local language
- Skills levels of local population
- quality childcare and schooling provision
- Tax regime
- Airport and other transport infrastructure
- and no doubt dozens of other factors.

Moving country is a big deal. Not to be undertaken lightly. And a massive consideration will be that your kids will get a culture-stamp' from the local environs. Move to Paris and they will have English and French - two great world languages. Similar for Frankfurt, Madrid, or Rome. But what if UK bankers come to these shores ? Nigel and Sharon have kids here, and these kids are not only forced to learn Irish, but they are expected to reach a good level of Irish or they will be barred from a huge proportion of University places in the locale. This gives rise to a number of questions :

- How do British parents help their kids with their irish homework ?

- Are UK born parents allowed to get their irish-born kids off learning irish ?

- What about other foreign born nationals living ( and giving birth to kids) in ireland ? Think about the kids of the Polish, Hungarians etc who are also expected to learn and thrive in the native language that existed on these shores three or four hundred years ago ? MUST THE KIDS OF POLES, SYRIANS, AND ROMANIANS ALL BE FORCED TO LEARN IRISH ?

- Surely the defence ''irish is our culture and we need to protect it'' doesnt wash with people from different cultures ?

- If the policymakers at these international banks was aware of this, would they choose Frankfurt instead ?

Morgan McKinley's City Brexit jobs survey for July - Business Insider

RBS posts rare half-year profit as it eyes Amsterdam move for some staff

Dublin bids for banking and medicines agencies | Irish Examiner

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/brexit-house-price-surge-sp-dublin-frankfurt-city-bankers-finance-passporting-a7873636.html

Last edited:

Mad as Fish

Inward Investment. UK banks looking at Frankfurt, Paris, Brussels, or even to Dublin and the Financial services centre. This could represent a massive boon to the economy of whichever cities will be the winners.

When looking at a new city to relocate, we can be confident that Bankers look at a number of factors. These could include :

- Local language
- Tax regime

Moving country is a big deal. Not to be undertaken lightly. And a massive consideration will be that your kids will get a culture-stamp' from the local environs. Move to Paris and they will have English and French - two great world languages. Similar for Frankfurt, Madrid, or Rome. But what if UK bankers come to these shores ? Nigel and Sharon have kids here, and these kids are not only forced to learn Irish, but they are expected to reach a good level of Irish or they will be barred from a huge proportion of University places in the locale. This gives rise to a number of questions :

- What about other foreign born nationals living ( and giving birth to kids) in ireland ? Think about the kids of the Polish, Hungarians etc who are also expected to learn and thrive in the native language that existed on these shores three or four hundred years ago ?

- Surely the defence ''irish is our culture and we need to protect it'' doesnt wash with people from different cultures ?

- If the policymakers at these international banks was aware of this, would they choose Frankfurt instead ?

Does Nigel know we will force his kids to learn Irish at school ?

Or come raiding their bedrooms at seven in the morning.

D

Deleted member 17573

Bankers will commute - spouses and children are not going to give up everything London has to offer for the dubious delights of a provincial city, Irish language or no Irish language.

wexfordman

Bankers will commute - spouses and children are not going to give up everything London has to offer for the dubious delights of a provincial city, Irish language or no Irish language.
I doubt commuting would be the norm. Exemptions on learning Irish are common enough i think, but the op point is valid, and the education system needs yo move away from.Irish as a requirement for entry to higher level institutions, its ridiculous. I say this as someone who failed Irish after thirteen years in school (the only exam I ever failed in my life)

Cdebru

- Local language
- Tax regime

- What about other foreign born nationals living ( and giving birth to kids) in ireland ? Think about the kids of the Polish, Hungarians etc who are also expected to learn and thrive in the native language that existed on these shores three or four hundred years ago ? Must the kids of Poles, Syrians, and Romanians all be forced to learn irish ?

How do Irish parents help their children with French, German or Spanish homework ?

No one is forcing anyone to come and live here, if you choose to live here then don't expect the system to be changed to your wants, if you don't want your kids learning Irish there are another 26 EU countries you can go and live in.

D

Deleted member 17573

I doubt commuting would be the norm. Exemptions on learning Irish are common enough i think, but the op point is valid, and the education system needs yo move away from.Irish as a requirement for entry to higher level institutions, its ridiculous. I say this as someone who failed Irish after thirteen years in school (the only exam I ever failed in my life)
That's quite an achievement - I never learned a word of Irish, got tossed out of the class in 5th year and still scraped a pass in the LC.:D
But as you say there are already exemptions in place - I think if you only move to Ireland around 3(?) years prior to the LC you get an exemption.

Congalltee

Why is your failure something which should influence policy? What is it about you that caused you to fail e.g. did you fail to get grinds, did you not do any extracurricular activities, did you not watch tg4/listen RnG?
These are fairly basic steps a 16/17 year old student could take to prevent failure.

LookWhoItIs

- Local language
- Tax regime

- What about other foreign born nationals living ( and giving birth to kids) in ireland ? Think about the kids of the Polish, Hungarians etc who are also expected to learn and thrive in the native language that existed on these shores three or four hundred years ago ? Must the kids of Poles, Syrians, and Romanians all be forced to learn irish ?

:roll::roll:

Unless its changed if newly arrived kids were past primary school age they were exempt. Do you really think this will be a factor in relocation -not to mention do you think a young primary school child of non-irish parents would want to be doing something different than the rest of his/her classmates - FFS

blinding

London or Dublin......London all day everyday . People that complain about the climate in London are not going to be happy with Dublin .

Stuff to do for people with Money......London all night and many nights......

Dublin can not compete with London on so many levels........They might be tempted by Paris / Milan or such like ......but Dublin bar weekends not so much......

LookWhoItIs

London or Dublin......London all day everyday . People that complain about the climate in London are not going to be happy with Dublin .

Stuff to do for people with Money......London all night and many nights......

Dublin can not compete with London on so many levels........They might be tempted by Paris / Milan or such like ......but Dublin bar weekends not so much......
I suspect the idea of the OP is that London would not longer be an option due to Brexit - hence the swarm of relocating bankers fretting about their yet to be born kids having to learn Irish at some point years down the road

CEO - " Hey Nige - I want you to head up the Dublin office - 300k/year + bonus and a paid for rental in D4"
Nige - "No can do , I might have kids who will be forced to learn Irish"

Sync

Some of the jobs will be sourced here which is great, one subject won't define an external applicants view of moving. If they don't like Irish they'll just do what many other parents do. "I don't care how you do in this subject, focus on others".

Hillmanhunter1

Places in schools that offer the International Baccalaureate will be at a premium.

Senior executives relocating to Dublin will not care if younger children learn a cupla focal, but they will have little interest in the Leaving Certificate.

brughahaha

Places in schools that offer the International Baccalaureate will be at a premium.

Senior executives relocating to Dublin will not care if younger children learn a cupla focal, but they will have little interest in the Leaving Certificate.
There wont be any Senior Executives moving to Dublin ...its purely back office stuff..and even then were not getting much so far
And has been covered in countless threads already ...
Including one that links to the Central bank confirms no approaches for new Banking Licences

On any other subject this thread would be zoo'ed .....but the Mod seem to allow any sort of shrill hysterical nonsense on the subject of Brexit

Now back to the P.ie Brexit hysterics :roll:

Marcos the black

Such as?

Cai

Nigel will be sending his kids to a private boarding school in England I'm afraid.

Trainwreck

There wont be any Senior Executives moving to Dublin ...its purely back office stuff..and even then were not getting much so far
And has been covered in countless threads already ...
Including one that links to the Central bank confirms no approaches for new Banking Licences

On any other subject this thread would be zoo'ed .....but the Mod seem to allow any sort of shrill hysterical nonsense on the subject of Brexit

Now back to the P.ie Brexit hysterics :roll:
I have images of all these mammies posting this inane drivel over their cup of teat and digestives.

Cai

More seriously Nigel's kids are taught through the medium of Welsh if he comes to live in The part of Wales I live in. He doesn't seem to be too upset.

Trainwreck

More seriously Nigel's kids are taught through the medium of Welsh if he comes to live in The part of Wales I live in. He doesn't seem to be too upset.
Why would Farage be moving to Ireland, or even Wales? The inanity of this thread is beyond belief.

murf13

I find it hard to believe that Irish was the only subject you failed given the amount of grammatical errors in this post.

New Threads

Most Replies