London Banks moving to Dublin ? : does Nigel know we will force his kids to learn Irish at school ?

Mad as Fish

jas376

Ireland is a World leader in Multi national investment. We have about a quarter of the world wide market in this. Why? I mean if the eductational system is so "bad" and so on. Why have for example:
Pfizer, Google, Apple, Microsoft, Intel, Facebook, Amazon, Ebay all got huge offices and hub's here?

Dublin is Europe
Because English is the spoken language here. As far as language is concerned it is far easier for American companies to transfer here than it is to transfer to mainland Europe.

Last edited:

Nitrogen

Oh its not a rumour -

Jason, who is in fifth year at school, was taken to Tallaght Garda Station to be quizzed over the demonstration which locked Joan Burton in her car for hours. He was released just after 12.30pm this afternoon, and a file has been sent to the DPP.

"For the police to bang down the door at 7.10am this morning is outrageous.

Jobstown protest: 16-year-old released without charge as three others questioned - Irish Mirror Online

Apple were squirreling away their profits in Ireland long before that, and the others have been here quite a while as well.
What?

You think the children of this imagined posh Nigel chap are going to be so incensed at having to learn Irish that they will attract Garda attention owing to the demonstrations they will be taking part in when the minister for education, or maybe the Gaeltacht, are in the area? :confused:

Mad as Fish

What?

You think the children of this imagined posh Nigel chap are going to be so incensed at having to learn Irish that they will attract Garda attention owing to the demonstrations they will be taking part in when the minister for education, or maybe the Gaeltacht, are in the area? :confused:
I'll raise you one of those.

:confused::confused:

redneck

Becuse English is the spoken language here. As far as language is concerned it is far easier for American companies to transfer here than it is to transfer to mainland Europe.
Yes but it is also due to our education system- we have good well trained people here, well up to now anyway. Irish is part of this system. We do a lot better than N.I for example, and there is no compulsory Irish there. Why is that, do you want us to be like Northern Ireland!

redneck

Inward Investment. UK banks looking at Frankfurt, Paris, Brussels, or even to Dublin and the Financial services centre. This could represent a massive boon to the economy of whichever cities will be the winners.

When looking at a new city to relocate, we can be confident that Bankers look at a number of factors. These could include :

- Local language
- Skills levels of local population
- quality childcare and schooling provision
- Tax regime
- Airport and other transport infrastructure
- and no doubt dozens of other factors.

Moving country is a big deal. Not to be undertaken lightly. And a massive consideration will be that your kids will get a culture-stamp' from the local environs. Move to Paris and they will have English and French - two great world languages. Similar for Frankfurt, Madrid, or Rome. But what if UK bankers come to these shores ? Nigel and Sharon have kids here, and these kids are not only forced to learn Irish, but they are expected to reach a good level of Irish or they will be barred from a huge proportion of University places in the locale. This gives rise to a number of questions :

- How do British parents help their kids with their irish homework ?

- Are UK born parents allowed to get their irish-born kids off learning irish ?

- What about other foreign born nationals living ( and giving birth to kids) in ireland ? Think about the kids of the Polish, Hungarians etc who are also expected to learn and thrive in the native language that existed on these shores three or four hundred years ago ? Must the kids of Poles, Syrians, and Romanians all be forced to learn irish ?

- Surely the defence ''irish is our culture and we need to protect it'' doesnt wash with people from different cultures ?

- If the policymakers at these international banks was aware of this, would they choose Frankfurt instead ?

Morgan McKinley's City Brexit jobs survey for July - Business Insider

RBS posts rare half-year profit as it eyes Amsterdam move for some staff

Dublin bids for banking and medicines agencies | Irish Examiner
On another thread there is a real problem here with high household rents and lack of business space. They are the problems with Ireland and Dublin. Not the educational system.

Analyzer

I reckon that having the kids learn Irish is a minor inconvenience to living with extortionate tax levels that the Irish state extorts from it's workers.

If the bankers come here, they might end up choosing the dole.

ruman

Yes but it is also due to our education system- we have good well trained people here, well up to now anyway. Irish is part of this system. We do a lot better than N.I for example, and there is no compulsory Irish there. Why is that, do you want us to be like Northern Ireland!
There are of course OECD rankings for education systems despite this people apparently want us to ape the US/UK education systems.

You'd be better off telling "Nigel" his education system is producing results well below that of the Scandinavian and top Asian countries therefore we have little interest in aping his education system.

ger12

Inward Investment. UK banks looking at Frankfurt, Paris, Brussels, or even to Dublin and the Financial services centre. This could represent a massive boon to the economy of whichever cities will be the winners.

When looking at a new city to relocate, we can be confident that Bankers look at a number of factors. These could include :

- Local language
- Skills levels of local population
- quality childcare and schooling provision
- Tax regime
- Airport and other transport infrastructure
- and no doubt dozens of other factors.

Moving country is a big deal. Not to be undertaken lightly. And a massive consideration will be that your kids will get a culture-stamp' from the local environs. Move to Paris and they will have English and French - two great world languages. Similar for Frankfurt, Madrid, or Rome. But what if UK bankers come to these shores ? Nigel and Sharon have kids here, and these kids are not only forced to learn Irish, but they are expected to reach a good level of Irish or they will be barred from a huge proportion of University places in the locale. This gives rise to a number of questions :

- Are UK born parents allowed to get their irish-born kids off learning irish ?

- What about other foreign born nationals living ( and giving birth to kids) in ireland ? Think about the kids of the Polish, Hungarians etc who are also expected to learn and thrive in the native language that existed on these shores three or four hundred years ago ? Must the kids of Poles, Syrians, and Romanians all be forced to learn irish ?

- Surely the defence ''irish is our culture and we need to protect it'' doesnt wash with people from different cultures ?

- If the policymakers at these international banks was aware of this, would they choose Frankfurt instead ?

Morgan McKinley's City Brexit jobs survey for July - Business Insider

RBS posts rare half-year profit as it eyes Amsterdam move for some staff

Dublin bids for banking and medicines agencies | Irish Examiner
Might I suggest you'd be better served moving to the monolingual UK education system.

It would appear to appeal to your mindset.

wexfordman

Why is your failure something which should influence policy? What is it about you that caused you to fail e.g. did you fail to get grinds, did you not do any extracurricular activities, did you not watch tg4/listen RnG?
These are fairly basic steps a 16/17 year old student could take to prevent failure.
You need to educate yourself not to jump to conclusions.

1) my family circumstances could not afford grinds.
2)i did my leaving cert in 1989,/there was no tg4, just plane old rte 1, with rte 2 just a bare infant
3) perhaps consider the notion that I worked exceptionally hard and did my utmost to get the beat results I could, and time and energy constraints meant that it was far more important to pit effort into my other subjects rather than a language I would never use.

Last edited:

wexfordman

Why is your failure something which should influence policy? What is it about you that caused you to fail e.g. did you fail to get grinds, did you not do any extracurricular activities, did you not watch tg4/listen RnG?
These are fairly basic steps a 16/17 year old student could take to prevent failure.
My failure is perhaps just a partial reason why policy could adapt, I doubt very much my scenario is unique.

Pwrsobly I think it would serve education and the Irish language bteer if it was not compulsory.

Nitrogen

This is probably the least of "Nigel's" worries at the moment

ruman

Weatherspoons have opened in Blackrock so Nigel should be ar fheabhas ar fad

ruman

Don't forget that fox hunting is still legal here, a big plus for a shiresman and aspiring Lord....
I'm happy for Nigel Junior to learn Irish on condition his old man doesn't try and take us out of the EU

McTell

Twitter
No
//

- Are UK born parents allowed to get their irish-born kids off learning irish ?//

Yes I think so, plenty of exemptions. It'd only be a problem if they wanted their kids to go to the NUI, and I'm guessing their aim is much higher.

McTell

Twitter
No
...used to be the case that you had to pass Irish if you were training as a barrister, and the King's inns got around this by setting the same text for translation every year.

Spirit Of Newgrange

Bankers will commute - spouses and children are not going to give up everything London has to offer for the dubious delights of a provincial city, Irish language or no Irish language.
And the latest debate. ''has London turned into a sh....thole''. The exodus of Bankers out of the English Capital could accelerate a 'Detroit Effect'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eeEa5arSSw

here they come. This bloke is an utter utter Banker !!

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/bank-america-move-125-uk-12474645

Last edited:

PBP voter

So all the jobs went to Holland.

A much better tax haven than Ireland.

Watcher2

WTF? The forced teaching of the Irish language is why we have well trained people in Ireland? I've read some batsh1t crazy stuff on p.ie and this is definitely up there with the "great" posts. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies