London Banks moving to Dublin ? : does Nigel know we will force his kids to learn Irish at school ?

McTell

Twitter
No
"Nigel's" kids will be exempt from irish, unless they want to learn it.

redneck

WTF? The forced teaching of the Irish language is why we have well trained people in Ireland? I've read some batsh1t crazy stuff on p.ie and this is definitely up there with the "great" posts. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Tá tú ag cáint ráiméis. An understanding of language and culture is important. In the UK for example, the Welsh language is undergoing a revival. Also with Scots Gaelic. Finally the people of Cornwall (Kernow) in England, are asking for more Cornish.

Last edited:

McTell

Twitter
No
Tá tú ag cáint ráiméis. An understanding of language and culture is important. In the UK for example, //

That's fine, no problem.

It's making it compulsory is the problem, plus a sense that you are "more irish" if you are fluent and can climb croagh patrick in july barefoot in an aran sweater.

Culture is doing what you like to do. If irish speakers don't often speak it, that is the basic problem. They are the ones letting it die.

redneck

That's fine, no problem.

It's making it compulsory is the problem, plus a sense that you are "more irish" if you are fluent and can climb croagh patrick in july barefoot in an aran sweater.

Culture is doing what you like to do. If irish speakers don't often speak it, that is the basic problem. They are the ones letting it die.
Maybe, but I think Ireland is Anglisized enough. Ireland is probably just little England at the moment. Or maybe Boston, Ireland. Part of the reason we have the growth of Right wing movements eg Brexit, is the feeling that certain cultures are being "swamped". Slán agus beannacht.

Watcher2

Tá tú ag cáint ráiméis. An understanding of language and culture is important. In the UK for example, the Welsh language is undergoing a revival. Also with Scots Gaelic. Finally the people of Cornwall (Kernow) in England, are asking for more Cornish.

i didn't say it was not important.

McTell

Twitter
No
Maybe, but I think Ireland is Anglisized enough. Ireland is probably just little England at the moment. Or maybe Boston, Ireland. Part of the reason we have the growth of Right wing movements eg Brexit, is the feeling that certain cultures are being "swamped". Slán agus beannacht.

Yes, but some of us will choose the american way.

My granny used to put out a saucer of milk for the fairies. That was "Irish culture" for ages. I choose not to put out that saucer of milk, and that is also Irish culture because it is what I am doing in ireland.

The more antsy we get about what is, or is not, irish, the less chance of unity down the road (if that matters).

Fun with Irish

London Banks moving to Dublin ? : does Nigel know we will force his kids to learn Irish at school ?

- What about other foreign born nationals living ( and giving birth to kids) in ireland ? Think about the kids of the Polish, Hungarians etc who are also expected to learn and thrive in the native language that existed on these shores three or four hundred years ago ? MUST THE KIDS OF POLES, SYRIANS, AND ROMANIANS ALL BE FORCED TO LEARN IRISH ?
Nobody is forced to learn Irish. They are simply forced, when young, to sit in Irish class rooms.

About university entry: almost nobody emerges from these school periods of Irish-language confinement knowing Irish but almost everybody emerges with the few scraps of Irish needed for entering the National University of Ireland, where they can make their contribution to its world renowned reputation - in English.

Dame_Enda

If they were moving here, Dublin house prices wouldn't be dropping, which reportedly they have done this year by around 0.2%.

Fun with Irish

Some of the jobs will be sourced here which is great, one subject won't define an external applicants view of moving. If they don't like Irish they'll just do what many other parents do. "I don't care how you do in this subject, focus on others".
That's the point.

People's friends will quickly explain to them that 'Learning-Irish' is educationally just tokenism maintained for its political symbolism. Political tokenism.

Admittedly, there is a cost to schoolchildren in wasted time but this can be kept quite small.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies