London cycling commissioner to tackle "divsersity problem" in London's cyclists.

Clanrickard

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/cycling-london-uk-sadiq-khan-bikes-race-class-gender-a8367916.html

Too few women and people from ethnic minority groups cycle in London and more must be done to promote diversity among a largely white, male and middle class biking community, the city’s walking and cycling commissioner has said.
There you have it folks. Just when you thought we had reached peak PC out comes this garbage. The walking and cycling commissioner is to set diversity targets for cyclists. Exactly how is this to work? Well it means more schemes to target groups that don't cycle and more money doled out. The fact though that the Independent reports this in a straight laced manner instead of treating it with the contempt it deserves shows how far down the rabbit hole London has got. Let people who cycle, cycle and those that don't won't. If people really want to make cycling more common, make bicycles cheaper.

mr. jings

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/cycling-london-uk-sadiq-khan-bikes-race-class-gender-a8367916.html

There you have it folks. Just when you thought we had reached peak PC out comes this garbage. The walking and cycling commissioner is to set diversity targets for cyclists. Exactly how is this to work? Well it means more schemes to target groups that don't cycle and more money doled out. The fact though that the Independent reports this in a straight laced manner instead of treating it with the contempt it deserves shows how far down the rabbit hole London has got. Let people who cycle, cycle and those that don't won't. If people really want to make cycling more common, make bicycles cheaper.
I think you're being alarmist. There's a simpler plan to just chop the mickeys off white male cyclists.

Dearghoul

In any society calling itself equal, ladies bicycle manufacturers would be heavily subsidised.

Sync

He said he was considering setting diversity targets for London’s cycling population to ensure progress was achieved.
That’s either very poorly reported or Norman shouldn’t be working...anywhere.

silverharp

a ladies and colored only cycling lanes?

If people really want to make cycling more common, make bicycles cheaper.
bikes are cheap relative to the cost of commuter tickets, crack down on bicycle theft would be a good start though.

mr. jings

bikes are cheap relative to the cost of commuter tickets, crack down on bicycle theft would be a good start though.
My last stolen bike still hurts me. I only had it a couple of months, and it was my favourite ever bike. And even though reported it, I was still frozen out of availing of the cycle to work scheme I got it on for five years. :(

A Voice

We will all be the same.
We will all be the same.
We will all be the same.
We will all be the same.
We will all be the same.
We will all be the same.
We will all be the same.
We will all be the same.
We will all be the same.
We will all be the same.
We will all be the same.
We will all be the same.
We will all be the same.
We will all be the same.
We will all be the same.
We will all be the same.
We will all be the same.
We will all be the same.
We will all be the same.
We will all be the same.
We will all be the same.
We will all be the same.

enuffisenuff

Don't they already steal them when they want them?

CatullusV

Bikes are incredibly expensive in London. When their cost was allowed to be offset against tax, the retailers just ramped the price up.

Analyzer

I suppose somebody is now going to get a well paid job at public expense. Quite possibly somebody who is well received by the mayor's office.

Cycling is an individual activity. As an option it is not suited to the group-think that is being driven (pun fully intended).

Concerning the promotion of cycling....how did the initiative in Paris to encourage cycling work out ?

Well, the Chinese firm providing the service to the city, withdrew entirely due to the level of theft and vandalism of their bicycles. And the police failed abysmally to protect the infrastructure.

And therein lies the problem. Not everybody is happy to allow cyclists to do their thing.

Maybe their mayor might explain that "it is all part of living in a big city" ?

Watcher2

Bikes are incredibly expensive in London. When their cost was allowed to be offset against tax, the retailers just ramped the price up.
That happened here too when the bike to work scheme came in. Government subsidies rarely go to the taxpayer. They go to the providers of whatever receives the tax break.

silverharp

My last stolen bike still hurts me. I only had it a couple of months, and it was my favourite ever bike. And even though reported it, I was still frozen out of availing of the cycle to work scheme I got it on for five years. :(
ive had a couple nicked over the years but they were never my pride and joy, they basically recommend 3 high quality D locks so the buggers pick something easier. The police need to do more stings and an idea for an aspiring YouTube creator rig up bikes with tazers, cut he forks and film the hilarity.

Gin Soaked

Yep. Bikes are cheaper than shoes in terms of cost per mile. Theft and danger are big factors. But the main one is that you need to really care about fitness and speed of commute to cycle. Above all else. And not have to do a school / creche run.

silverharp

I reckon its just customer buying top of the range models , find a crummy out of town shop or buy off the internet and don't have top of the range features and you can get a cheap bike. The thing everyone wants their disc brakes, bullet proof tires and be the weight of 2 duck feathers.

Trampas

….and too many Londoners from minority ethnic groups are getting knifed to death. Clearly this isn't an issue for the Mayor. Diversion to diversity always seems to work.

Catalpast

They should do what they did in Dublin

- and give them Free Bikes!

stopdoingstuff

They could boost female cycling numbers if they installed vibrating saddles and more speed bumps.

Orbit v2

That happened here too when the bike to work scheme came in. Government subsidies rarely go to the taxpayer. They go to the providers of whatever receives the tax break.
That's not entirely true. BTW accounts for a proportion of bike sales but not all. So, it is still a competitive business. It's probably true that retailers take a chunk, but it is still incredibly good value for the consumer. Best thing (maybe only good thing) the Greens ever did.

I've also heard of people availing of the scheme more than once in a five year period, after switching job. I'm not sure of the legality of that, but the way the scheme is setup, it's most unlikely that anyone would stop you.

On the OP topic, the only way to improve cyclist diversity is to improve the infrastructure.

firefly123

I think you're being alarmist. There's a simpler plan to just chop the mickeys off white male cyclists.
Way to messy.
Just give these men roller blades and you achieve a similar result

New Threads

Most Replies