London tried to block to Irish unity declaration from EU summit minutes

Wascurito

According to an article on the RTÉ website, the London government (and the Northern Ireland Office) tried to prevent Enda Kenny's declaration on Irish unity from being inserted into the minutes of the Extraordinary EU Summit of April 29th.

The declaration stated that in the event of Northern Ireland voters choosing in the future to unite with the Republic, that the Six Counties would automatically rejoin the EU. In pushing for this clause, Mr Kenny cited the precedent of East Germany in 1990 which joined the EU following it's unification with West Germany.

The British were concerned that - following Spain's success in being granted an effective veto over future EU relations with Gibraltar - another such diplomatic coup would damage Theresa May in the run up to the UK's general election.

In the event, the British concerns were dismissed with London being "reminded that because of the Brexit result, Mr Kenny was still, 'around the table', whereas Mrs May was not."

ruserious

As has been said before, he's a fool but no eejit.

I just hope Varadkar has the nerve to challenge the Brits when it is in our national interest.

It was reported yesterday that at a dinner held in Farmleigh House just recently to say goodbye to Kenny and Noonan, Kenny gave a speech stating Ireland is "a wonderful country" and paused tearfully, pointing at Leo..."Look after it".

The British government is like a wounded dog. We need to be careful and opportunistic at the same time. That will include standing up for the GFA and doing what it can to prevent a Tory DUP deal as it goes against the GFA.

LDF

This story is pure spin - Kenny battled against the might of the UK to get his text included is the tone.

It was a statement of the obvious and no great achievement. Where was NI expected to go in the event of reunification - to the African Union?

And defeating the UK in the EU is nothing to shout about. The UK are gone. Of course the EU don't care what they think.

Keeping the border open and the tariffs to a minimum are the real tests for Irish influence in the EU. Let's wait and see.

PBP voter

Fair play to Kenny. Now would Varadkar have done the same? Hmmm.
Of course he would.

The EU told the Irish government we are going to throw you a crumb from the table that you wouldn't need for a while if ever.

That's all a small country can ever get from the EU and our useless politicians will always make the crumbs out to be something big.

gleeful

This story is pure spin - Kenny battled against the might of the UK to get his text included is the tone.

It was a statement of the obvious and no great achievement. Where was NI expected to go in the event of reunification - to the African Union?

And defeating the UK in the EU is nothing to shout about. The UK are gone. Of course the EU don't care what they think.

Keeping the border open and the tariffs to a minimum are the real tests for Irish influence in the EU. Let's wait and see.
It was certainly an achievement and the meaning of it will grow as the brexit circus rumbles on.

Hunter-Gatherer

why would anybody up North want to join the zoo that is the banana Republic ?

hollandia

It's not spin, and he didn't battle. He told them to feck off, pure and simple. I'm not an Enda fan by any stretch, but fair play.

between the bridges

Does anywan expect the EU to still be around in 3016...

Cdebru

The Brits would have used any uncertainty about the position of the North as an argument against reunification just as they did in the Scottish Independence referendum, it is a good move to have the position in black and white, so it can't be used in the future to undermine a border poll.

Spanner Island

FFS it was a common sense inclusion that simply clarifies what could have been a total mess if NI ever votes for a UI.

London have enough to be dealing with (all of it self inflicted) without the rest of us having to listen to their bullsh!t.

There are many in Britain who have such overwhelming obsessions with Europe that they seem quite prepared to sacrifice anything and everything and including the Peace Process in order to achieve their kind of 'Brexit'... .

Those tedious obsessives are more dangerous to the UK than anything EU... which seems to be something UK voters might finally be waking up to.

between the bridges

The Brits would have used any uncertainty about the position of the North as an argument against reunification just as they did in the Scottish Independence referendum, it is a good move to have the position in black and white, so it can't be used in the future to undermine a border poll.
Seeing as no wan has the slightest notion what format the mythological utopian UI might take if it ever happened, tis a bit rich for somewan to assume they know what policy it would follow...

Dame_Enda

I think this comes back to what happened in the Scottish independence referendum where a big Achilles heel of the Yes campaign was the uncertainty of whether Scotland could just continue being in the EU - albeit as a new member - from Day 1. May may have hoped to have a similar Achilles heel in NI.

mr_anderson

Fair play to Kenny. Now would Varadkar have done the same? Hmmm.

I sincerely hope Varadkar would table a motion confirming NI was part of the UK.

All the posters on here laughing at how the DUP's madness was now being probed by the UK media and how appalled they were with what they were seeing, only brought home to me how I want to keep Ireland DUP-free (and loyalist-free too).

The North is a basket case - politically, socially & economically.
It also has the ability to explode into life (or death).

I have the feeling that those who long for a united Ireland have either not thought it through or are part of the underclass who have never paid for a single thing in their lives.

NI isn't a prize. It's a curse.

Mad as Fish

It's not spin, and he didn't battle. He told them to feck off, pure and simple. I'm not an Enda fan by any stretch, but fair play.
I should imagine the EU hadn't really thought about it so just revised the passage when it was pointed out to them.

hollandia

I should imagine the EU hadn't really thought about it so just revised the passage when it was pointed out to them.
I think this was more pointing out to Downing St that they've decided to leave the EU, so they don't get any say in the EU negotiating position.

Last edited:

Cellachán Chaisil

New Threads

Most Replies