Londonderry woman refuses to renounce British citizenship to gain visa for US-born husband

Dimples 77

Duplicate Account
Here's an interesting case. It highlights something that is often ignored by Irish nationalists - the fact that they actually are British citizens (and thus dual nationals if they have applied for Irish citizenship too) if they were born in NI.

Some republicans have taken the step of legally renouncing their British citizenship, but most nationalists haven't done so. This woman is one such person. No matter what the GFA says that's the law.

She claims that she shouldn't have to renounce her British citizenship because she does not want anything on record that shows that she was anything other than Irish-only in the past.

My husband faces deportation because I won't say I'm British - Belfast Live

"My husband faces deportation because I won't say I'm British

The couple say they are happy and settled in Belfast but American Jake can't get a visa because Emma identifies herself as Irish

A Derry woman has said the UK government has rejected her husband's visa application - because she refused to identify as British.

Emma DeSouza was told in September 2016 that her American husband’s application for a family member residence card to remain in Northern Ireland had been rejected.

The UK Home Office told her it had turned down the application because Ms DeSouza applied for the visa as an Irish national, but that according to her records she was British.

Ms DeSouza was told that she could apply if she renounced her supposed British citizenship and reapplied as an Irish citizen."

danger here

Seems most stupid on her behalf. I mean it would have been a case of: here's your visa stamp, now we don't mind if you consider yourself Irish, we only give the stamp once so no worries, it's just the way the situation is.

I bet she has a hunger strike tattoo on her arse.

D

Deleted member 48908

Seems most stupid on her behalf. I mean it would have been a case of: here's your visa stamp, now we don't mind if you consider yourself Irish, we only give the stamp once so no worries, it's just the way the situation is.

I bet she has a hunger strike tattoo on her arse.
Vivabrigada will be along any minute to tell how wrong you are.

There's quite the discussion to be had, apparently...

http://www.politics.ie/forum/northern-ireland/257867-special-designated-status-northern-ireland-eu-4.html#post11324815

D

Deleted member 48908

If he does not turn up for your little hatefest, Mickey is here to call you both out as total AH's.........hope you got that?
Arra, Mickey, a mhac.

The lady is Irish.
She applied for a visa to the Foreign Office...

-the UK Foreign Office
-in London
-the capital of the UK

I reckon she's somewhere between moron and imbecile on the scale...I mean she did understand that she needed to apply for a visa after all.

Thing is, a chara, Irish people send their applications to the Dept. of Foreign Affairs. Which is located in.....wait for it:

Dublin - the capital of Ireland.

Still though, I feel sorry for the husband. It must be tough on him having missed various family functions, and coming to the realization that he married a moron or imbecile.

former wesleyan

Another attention seeker with a First World problem.

Clanrickard

Here's an interesting case. It highlights something that is often ignored by Irish nationalists - the fact that they actually are British citizens (and thus dual nationals if they have applied for Irish citizenship too) if they were born in NI.

Some republicans have taken the step of legally renouncing their British citizenship, but most nationalists haven't done so. This woman is one such person. No matter what the GFA says that's the law.

She claims that she shouldn't have to renounce her British citizenship because she does not want anything on record that shows that she was anything other than Irish-only in the past.

The couple say they are happy and settled in Belfast but American Jake can't get a visa because Emma identifies herself as Irish

A Derry woman has said the UK government has rejected her husband's visa application - because she refused to identify as British.

Emma DeSouza was told in September 2016 that her American husband’s application for a family member residence card to remain in Northern Ireland had been rejected.

The UK Home Office told her it had turned down the application because Ms DeSouza applied for the visa as an Irish national, but that according to her records she was British.

Ms DeSouza was told that she could apply if she renounced her supposed British citizenship and reapplied as an Irish citizen."
I presume the use of the word Londonderry was a weak attempt at a wind up.

Fullforward

Should the thread title read "Refuses to renounce IRISH citizenship"?

Fullforward

vivabrigada

Cruimh

I remember Gerry getting his Knickers in a twist because he was described as a British and Irish Politician .... his complaint was of course rejected

Gerry Adams Belfast Telegraph IPSO complaint dismissed - Journalism News from HoldtheFrontPage

And here is another complaint (because the Irish News dared report that SF ministers had participated in the British Honours System) by 3 charmers that was rejected ....

Sinn Féin ministers three identical complaints against the Irish News over Queen's honours dismissed by Ipso - The Irish News

vivabrigada

I remember Gerry getting his Knickers in a twist because he was described as a British and Irish Politician .... his complaint was of course rejected

Gerry Adams Belfast Telegraph IPSO complaint dismissed - Journalism News from HoldtheFrontPage

And here is another complaint (because the Irish News dared report that SF ministers had participated in the British Honours System) by 3 charmers that was rejected ....

Sinn Féin ministers three identical complaints against the Irish News over Queen's honours dismissed by Ipso - The Irish News
Fascinating.

vivabrigada

It certainly was impressive the way you shinnerbots ignored the humiliating defeats :)
Connolly House told me to tell you there are no shinnerbots.

McSlaggart

I take it your fully ok with being described as an Irish citizen?

Glaucon

Stupidity personified. If it's a case of having my significant other being able to live with me or being kicked out of the country, I'd identify as Martian if need be.

statsman

In the name of Darwin, one can only hope that there are no children.

McSlaggart

In the name of Darwin, one can only hope that there are no children.
The " UK Home Office " are wrong in terms of the GFA. They should accept her Irish identity and get on with issuing the visa. In not doing so its going to cost the UK state a lot of money if she wants to fight the case and is sufficiently poor.

PBP voter

People in Donegal voted in a TD to stop TV deflectors that gave them access to British TV channels being removed.

Brits.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies