Long terms dolers to be made do 4 weeks work, or lose benefits

petervalhala

According to The Guardian "The unemployed will be ordered to do periods of compulsory full-time work in the community or be stripped of their benefits"

Seems a very good idea from Iain Duncan Smith, who wants to introduce "a new universal credit, to replace all existing benefits, that will ensure it always pays to work rather than stay on welfare."

Hopefully Eamon O'Cuiv will consider such a move here to break the "habit of worklessness"

See Unemployed told: do four weeks of unpaid work or lose your benefits | Politics | The Observer

flavirostris

Yeah, the unemployed are responsible for "worklessness" not Fianna Fáilure.

Too many issues

Firstly someone will already be doing this job, so what happens to them? Dole

Secondly, Issues in regards to minimum wage and employment law.

Thirdly, Issues in regards to peoples Human rights.

And finally, if people rioted about the poll tax, expect them to riot about this, and with such a slim Conservative majoirty with the coalition with the Lib Dems I cant see this ever seeing the light of day.

As usual its headline grabbing stuff without any thought or substance.

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
Great idea. It keeps people's "work ethic" alive. It's far too easy to get into bad habits while on wefare.

Last edited:

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
Too many issues

Firstly someone will already be doing this job, so what happens to them? Dole
No, things like removing grafitti, cleaning the canals etc are not being done. I'm sure that we can all think of work projects that would benefit the whole community.

Secondly, Issues in regards to minimum wage and employment law.
Not at all, we already have people doing community service work, without this being an issue.

Thirdly, Issues in regards to peoples Human rights.
Show me anywhere where it suggests that getting handouts from the taxpayer and not doin any in return is defined as a "human right".

And finally, if people rioted about the poll tax, expect them to riot about this, and with such a slim Conservative majoirty with the coalition with the Lib Dems I cant see this ever seeing the light of day.
The poll tax impacted everyone. This doesn't and it will be a popular measure.

As usual its headline grabbing headlines without any thought or substance.
No, it's actually doing something about a problem.

Cael

According to The Guardian "The unemployed will be ordered to do periods of compulsory full-time work in the community or be stripped of their benefits"

Seems a very good idea from Iain Duncan Smith, who wants to introduce "a new universal credit, to replace all existing benefits, that will ensure it always pays to work rather than stay on welfare."

Hopefully Eamon O'Cuiv will consider such a move here to break the "habit of worklessness"

See Unemployed told: do four weeks of unpaid work or lose your benefits | Politics | The Observer
Oh great, the famers are going to have to do a bit of work for their free money. I wonder how many hours that fellow in munster, who gets 450,000 euro a year in farmers dole, will have to do.

Cael

Of course, the bankrupt developers are all getting dole of 200,000 euro a year from the taxpayer - thanks to their Fianna Fáil chums. How many hours will they have to do?

dublinman

you are probably FF saying that Unemployed people want to work not sit on their ass. FF got us in the mess we are in they concentrated to much on the building trade

flavirostris

you are probably FF saying that Unemployed people want to work not sit on their ass. FF got us in the mess we are in they concentrated to much on the building trade
I'm not FF, check my sig

sue flanker

All that rubbish morons dump in the country could be cleaned up by us dolers with the tourist market in mind,bike paths as well linking places of interest and beauty could be built for pennys with the right motivation.

petervalhala

Try reading the article, the UK's measures are designed to get people out of the habit of not working, are you supporting able bodied people who deliberately choose not to work and instead want to permanently live off the hard work and taxes of others?

Mister men

Fantastic idea. Long overdue.

ocoonassa

So there is work that needs doing? Creating jobs and paying people a living wage seems the sensible option. There will always be more people actively and genuinely looking for work than there are job vacancies. The state is failing massively in its duty to provide work for these people and if there is work to be done then the state must make jobs. It's bad form to focus on the unemployable minority of the unemployed and give the false impression that there's plenty of jobs to go around.

Cael

Try reading the article, the UK's measures are designed to get people out of the habit of not working, are you supporting able bodied people who deliberately choose not to work and instead want to permanently live off the hard work and taxes of others?
Sounds like that scheme needs to be brought in for FF politicians.

Casillas

I can just see the new mechanical engineering graduates happy at being forced out to cut hedgerows. Plan B = emigration. Smart plan all right.

Andrew4

A lot of people seem to be ignoring the 'long term dolers'
Which indicates it is aimed at those who do not want to work and want to sit on their ass and milk the system

wassupdude

No, things like removing grafitti, cleaning the canals etc are not being done. I'm sure that we can all think of work projects that would benefit the whole community.
County/City councils?
I'm sure there would be a 'high-vis-jacket and clipboard' somewhere would have something to say about cleaning canals for a start!

Not at all, we already have people doing community service work, without this being an issue.
How's your altruism?

No, it's actually doing something about a problem.
No, it's treating a symptom.

sue flanker

I can just see the new mechanical engineering graduates happy at being forced out to cut hedgerows. Plan B = emigration. Smart plan all right.
Make it a voluntary scheme and use imagination to put the right people in the right place

flavirostris

Sounds like that scheme needs to be brought in for FF politicians.
+1

they're the biggest scroungers in the country. they would put your average dole cheat to shame

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies