Looking back on the GFA.

GDPR

The GFA is now dead.

I strongly supported it. It was brilliant for ethnic "Prods" like myself and the middle class part of the CNR community but didn't do any harm to any one else of vaguely good will in Northern Ireland while it lasted. Though it was very much in my personal interests I make no apologies for having supported it as strongly as I did- sticking up for your interests if its doesn't involve hurting others is perfectly just in my opinion.

The thing is though that the GFA is dead now. Personally though I'm a sort of "Two Nationist" the worst thing about it was getting the Republicans to accept "Two Nationism" which bodes very ill for the next "Troubles" because obviously killing someone some one you consider foreign is a lot different to killing someone you consider your own. My better half and mum in law consider me Irish and good luck arguing with them against that- however the fact is that people such as my sister and I have far more in common with Nordie Tea Eggs than we do with anyone else so if we are to view Nordie Tea Eggs as Irish than it makes sense to view me as Irish to.

By enshrining "Two Nationism" I think in the long term the GFA might well turn out to have been bad for Ulster. Starting at 8:40 Gerry Adams gives the mainline Provie view of the Prods, that of the IRSP/INLA was of course very different and their one unfortunately will be that of the bulk of themuns if there is to be another "Troubles" which I hope will not happen but I fear will;

runwiththewind

The GFA is now dead.

I strongly supported it. It was brilliant for ethnic "Prods" like myself and the middle class part of the CNR community but didn't do any harm to any one else of vaguely good will in Northern Ireland while it lasted. Though it was very much in my personal interests I make no apologies for having supported it as strongly as I did- sticking up for your interests if its doesn't involve hurting others is perfectly just in my opinion.

The thing is though that the GFA is dead now. Personally though I'm a sort of "Two Nationist" the worst thing about it was getting the Republicans to accept "Two Nationism" which bodes very ill for the next "Troubles" because obviously killing someone some one you consider foreign is a lot different to killing someone you consider your own. My better half and mum in law consider me Irish and good luck arguing with them against that- however the fact is that people such as my sister and I have far more in common with Nordie Tea Eggs than we do with anyone else so if we are to view Nordie Tea Eggs as Irish than it makes sense to view me as Irish to.

By enshrining "Two Nationism" I think in the long term the GFA might well turn out to have been bad for Ulster. Starting at 8:40 Gerry Adams gives the mainline Provie view of the Prods, that of the IRSP/INLA was of course very different and their one unfortunately will be that of the bulk of themuns if there is to be another "Troubles" which I hope will not happen but I fear will;

What's an ethnic Prod?

What's a tea egg?

vivabrigada

The GFA is now dead.

Armed conflict in Ireland is over and won't be coming back.

PBP voter

The GFA kicked the can down the road.

We are lucky to have got nearly 20 years out of it.

Expect the IRA murderous campaign to start up again when Adams and McGuiness are too old to have any control over those under them.

Depressing times ahead I fear.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0121/846744-gerry-adams-brexit/

PBP voter

The GFA is now dead.

[video=youtube;wqsfxs8qHu8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqsfxs8qHu8[/video]
Adams claims he isnt well paid. petunia

Marcella

Brexit could kill the GFA.

"The agreement plainly provides that the political status of Northern Ireland can be determined or changed only through a vote - and it's the informed consent through a vote - of the people of Northern Ireland," - George Mitchell

Brexit ignores the will of the people and is wholly contrary to the principle of consent.

Adams and George Mitchell are of the same opinion on this.

We now need Dublin to uphold the GFA because London are ignoring their commitments.

Irish-Rationalist

What's an ethnic Prod?
Ethnicity is a terminology used to describe a broad spectrum of national, political, racial, religious and cultural characteristics. Ethnic (in the minority sense) relates to a population subgroup (within a larger or dominant national or cultural group) with a common national or cultural tradition. The strange thing is that the OP describes herself as an "ethnic Prod", yet has hitherto manifested a distinct predilection to a very narrow Roman Catholic supremacism.

What's a tea egg?
Self explanatory. It's an egg you have for or with your tea.

GDPR

Armed conflict in Ireland is over and won't be coming back.
I wouldn't be so confident if I was you. That happening was the last thing Martin McGuinness wanted however we are in a different era now and who knows how things will unfold. I don't see the Shinners going back to war though.

vivabrigada

GDPR

Ethnicity is a terminology used to describe a broad spectrum of national, political, racial, religious and cultural characteristics. Ethnic (in the minority sense) relates to a population subgroup (within a larger or dominant national or cultural group) with a common national or cultural tradition. The strange thing is that the OP describes herself as an "ethnic Prod", yet has hitherto manifested a distinct predilection to a very narrow Roman Catholic supremacism.

Self explanatory. It's an egg you have for or with your tea.
In terms of Religion I am a Catholic but in Norn Iron terms I am a Prod and have never hid that fact unlike Eagle who comes from the Unionist Community but loves to pretend that she is an Ulster Fenian. Ideally I would like to force the Prods to become Catholics but if wishes were fishes....

vivabrigada

I wouldn't be so confident if I was you. That happening was the last thing Martin McGuinness wanted however we are in a different era now and who knows how things will unfold. I don't see the Shinners going back to war though.
I'd be very confident, the conditions, will or support doesn't exist to have our kids and grandkids endure what we did.
It simply wouldn't be allowed to happen.

mac tíre

"The agreement plainly provides that the political status of Northern Ireland can be determined or changed only through a vote - and it's the informed consent through a vote - of the people of Northern Ireland," - George Mitchell

Brexit ignores the will of the people and is wholly contrary to the principle of consent.

We now need Dublin to uphold the GFA because London are ignoring their commitments.
Now I'm convinced we are in trouble after reading that because, following PBP's logic, George Mitchell is about to restart the conflict.

vivabrigada

That is you- Arlene thinks differently.
Arlene can think what she wants, PBP is aping the tactics of Paisley when he wound up loyalists with phantom threats in the sixties, look where that got us.
We won't allow any unionist leader to try that one again, by we I mean society in the North in general.
Armed conflict here has been consigned to history where it belongs.

PBP voter

I don't think that the Shinners will re-start a military campaign at all.
Nope. They are all too old.

A new IRA will emerge. Not like the CIRA,RIRA etc.

Just like the OIRA got thrown out of the way by the PIRA a new crowd of terrorists will come along.

Plus brexit practically guarantees conflict.

PBP voter

Arlene can think what she wants, PBP is aping the tactics of Paisley when he wound up loyalists with phantom threats in the sixties, look where that got us.
We won't allow any unionist leader to try that one again, by we I mean society in the North in general.
Armed conflict here has been consigned to history where it belongs.
Somehow I doubt the ramblings of anybody on poltics.ie could start a conflict.

PBP voter

Agreed. Nobody in NI will have any rights.

No access to EU courts for anything that happens in NI.

death or glory

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies