• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Lord Laird to stand in Donegal NE

McCracken_07

What people think of Lord Laird Artigarvan running in the election in Donegal? Was an article about it in Indo today. Would have written this post in Ulster Scots but its not an official EU language so whats the point....

Dunny

Website
www.donnachamaguire.com
McCracken_07 said:
What people think of Lord Laird Artigarvan running in the election in Donegal? Was an article about it in Indo today. Would have written this post in Ulster Scots but its not an official EU language so whats the point....
We would still have understood ya!!! Lard Laird running may hinder FG as they have historically received most of the Protestant vote in Donegal.

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
I'd imagine his running would almost guarentee a seat for SF... and make Donegal a really interesting constituency to watch out for

jjcarroll

Website
www.semper-idem.eu
Dunny said:
McCracken_07 said:
We would still have understood ya!!! Lard Laird running may hinder FG as they have historically received most of the Protestant vote in Donegal.
I doubt much, if any votes would seep to him from FG - The guy comes across as a raving lunatic on political matters, although he seems like a pleasant enough person on an individual basis.

qtman

McCracken_07 said:
The Presb. community in Donegal are really pissed off with FG. Apparently, there's some hall that they had a long term lease on for a nominal rent, that has since passed to a prominent member of FG in a will, who now wants to charge them market rates.

I note also that Andy 'The Bull' McSharry has decided to stand in Sligo-North Leitrim. FG recently had a think-in Sligo, as part of which Jimmy Deenihan and a few others FG big shots had their picture taken with The Bull.

Nice to see the FG Spokesperson for Tourism brown-nosing a man who was convicted and jailed for assaulting tourists.

White Horse

I expect that protestant voters will decline Lord Laird's invitation to become a self proclaimed "oppressed" minority.

Protestants in border counties have played a valuable role in making this State a viable and prosperous country. I am sure they will continue to do so.

Podolski

"Lord" Artigarvan

He would be just John Laird on the ballot paper as far as I know.

Sidewinder

That's my part of the country. I can confidently predict he'll get about 100 votes, and 73 of them will be people taking the piss.

As White Horse said (my God, we've found something to agree on!) Protestants in the border counties are valued and well-integrated pillars of the community and play a full and active role in local community life. They are, simply, citizens like any other. They'll listen politely to Lordy Lordy's ravings, then quietly decline this "opportunity" to wall themselves off in a corner MOPEing.

Marx

Website
www.labour.ie
Here is an example of how LL is in touch with the most pressing issues

11 Dec 2006 : Column WA173

Stone of Destiny
Lord Laird asked Her Majesty's Government:

In what circumstances the Stone of Destiny would return to London for ceremonial purposes; and whether there are any plans for such a return.[HL442]

Lord Davies of Oldham: The Stone of Destiny will return to London for the next coronation, after which it will be returned to Scotland.

Inishowen

DNE is going to be a very exciting election this year so why not add Laird Laird to the mix for some light relief to the FF, Real FF, can't believe hes still in FF, FG, Continuity FG, PSF, battle?

BTW where did this rumour come from?

Sidewinder

:lol: I assume young Harte is the Continuity FG candidate :D

McCracken_07

Indo

'Rumour' in todays indo. From DNE myself and see the election going McDaid, Keaveny and then either McHugh or McLoughlin[SF]. Blaney shot himself in the foot joining FF but at the same time he was only ever goin to last one more term. No matter what you're party politics are hes not a good TD. i.e his silence is deafening. Not a strong point if you're a public rep.

Seánod

White Horse said:
I expect that protestant voters will decline Lord Laird's invitation to become a self proclaimed "oppressed" minority.

Protestants in border counties have played a valuable role in making this State a viable and prosperous country. I am sure they will continue to do so.
99.9% in agreement with this comment. I am amazed myself at the fact that I could be so much in agreement with White Horse. The other 0.1% is just a wee quibble over his studied use of the word "country". But we are all entitled to our own perspectives I suppose.

rf

The first mistake Laird made was running as an ulster unionist, sure its nice to see another whole island party but most border protestants are not unionists. furthermore even as an independent he needs other issues. it is nice to see someone standing up for ulsterscots issues but i cant see many catholics voting for him and not all the protestants will vote for him either. he should have aimed for a council seat first. still in the unlikey event that he wins it would make the dail more interesting and it would give a taste of things to come if MLAs are given seats.
as someone already pointed out this could give SF an extra seat[ no wonder they encouraged him to run]

traditionally FG got protestant support but their policy on protestant schools makes FF look more appealing. :)

President Bartlet

I hope this nut job gets 0 votes - he riles against all things Irish.
He regards himself as British - go stand for the British parliament

KeithM

I'd say that any UUP member has a equal chance of being elected in Donegal as in any other part of "Ulster" i.e not a lot.

Historically there was a pro-union seat in Donegal (when constituencies were bigger). The county was gerrymandered to split the unionist vote between the two constituencies. When the country is back as one constituency (probably in the next election after this) a good candidate (ie not some member of the UUP) might be able to launch a serious challenge for a seat as FG seem to have opened up a window through splits and low calibre candidates.

President Bartlet

KeithM said:
I'd say that any UUP member has a equal chance of being elected in Donegal as in any other part of "Ulster" i.e not a lot.

Historically there was a pro-union seat in Donegal (when constituencies were bigger). The county was gerrymandered to split the unionist vote between the two constituencies. When the country is back as one constituency (probably in the next election after this) a good candidate (ie not some member of the UUP) might be able to launch a serious challenge for a seat as FG seem to have opened up a window through splits and low calibre candidates.
Unionists know all about gerrymandering of course - they were experts at it

KeithM

President Bartlet said:
KeithM said:
I'd say that any <a href="http://www.politics.ie/wiki/index.php?title=Ulster_Unionist_Party" >UUP</a> member has a equal chance of being elected in Donegal as in any other part of "Ulster" i.e not a lot.

Historically there was a pro-union seat in Donegal (when constituencies were bigger). The county was gerrymandered to split the unionist vote between the two constituencies. When the country is back as one constituency (probably in the next election after this) a good candidate (ie not some member of the <a href="http://www.politics.ie/wiki/index.php?title=Ulster_Unionist_Party" >UUP</a>) might be able to launch a serious challenge for a seat as <a href="http://www.politics.ie/wiki/index.php?title=Fine_Gael" >FG</a> seem to have opened up a window through splits and low calibre candidates.
Gerrymandering didn't begin or end at the border. The only difference is that in this country it was done to try and change the government. In Northern Ireland, unionists would have been in government irrespective of how the constituencies were drawn.

rf

President Bartlet said:
I hope this nut job gets 0 votes - he riles against all things Irish.
He regards himself as British - go stand for the British parliament
president bartlet if you ever want a UI you will have to accept that a sig minority of irish people wish to celebrate their british heritage, and that the definition of irish will have to include british culture

President Bartlet

KeithM said:
President Bartlet said:
KeithM said:
I'd say that any <a href="http://www.politics.ie/wiki/index.php?title=Ulster_Unionist_Party" ><a href="http://www.politics.ie/wiki/index.php?title=Ulster_Unionist_Party" >UUP</a></a> member has a equal chance of being elected in Donegal as in any other part of "Ulster" i.e not a lot.

Historically there was a pro-union seat in Donegal (when constituencies were bigger). The county was gerrymandered to split the unionist vote between the two constituencies. When the country is back as one constituency (probably in the next election after this) a good candidate (ie not some member of the <a href="http://www.politics.ie/wiki/index.php?title=Ulster_Unionist_Party" ><a href="http://www.politics.ie/wiki/index.php?title=Ulster_Unionist_Party" >UUP</a></a>) might be able to launch a serious challenge for a seat as <a href="http://www.politics.ie/wiki/index.php?title=Fine_Gael" ><a href="http://www.politics.ie/wiki/index.php?title=Fine_Gael" >FG</a></a> seem to have opened up a window through splits and low calibre candidates.
Gerrymandering didn't begin or end at the border. The only difference is that in this country it was done to try and change the government. In Northern Ireland, unionists would have been in government irrespective of how the constituencies were drawn.
Not in terms of councils - i.e. Derry - gerrmandered the city to keep themselves in power and then treat the Nationalist community very poorly indeed.
And partition :twisted: was the biggest gerrymander of the lot :!: - designed to ensure a Unionist majority - why else leave out Donegal, Monaghan and Cavan :?: