• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Lord Mayor calls on Eirigi Cllr Louise Minihan to resign for attack on Mary Harney

Should Eirigi Councillor Louise Minihan resign for pelting Mary Harney with paint?

• Yes

Votes: 151 40.6%
  • No

Votes: 221 59.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
The Lord Mayor of Dublin Cllr Gerry Breen (FG) has said moments ago on Matt Cooper's Last Word that Eirigí Councillor Louise Minihan should resign from the council as a result of her actions earlier today when she pelted Health Minister Mary Harney with paint.

Cllr Breen said the council would be looking into taking disciplinary procedures against Cllr Minihan as a result of her actions at a function in which she was present in an official capacity as a member of the council. In the meantime, he said that Cllr Minihan should consider resigning from her democratically elected position.

kodak

Maybe she should but a lot of others who were present at events in an official capacity should also consider their position Biffo, PJ Sheehan for example.

hiding behind a poster

Quite right too.

johnfás

Quite right, but she is never going to.

I've no great problem with the public throwing paint over politicians or smacking them with custard pies. Obviously if you do that sort of thing you also have to accept you are going to be charged with an offence and will face any consequences arising. You shouldn't complain when you face those consequences either. They are the natural consequence of one committing a crime.

However, a different standard must apply to those who actually hold a position of leadership in public life. People will now drag up all sorts of examples of other political failures, who still hold office, who did plenty worse. And yup, I agree with you, those geezers should exit stage left as well.

More to the point she should resign for making an absolute show of herself on the radio all afternoon.

Last edited:

civilserpant

Minihan showed her class. Wins an election on a SF banner, then screws them over almost immediately (at least Burke had a reason be feel aggrieved) and then this? No respect for her office.

Econdo

Absolutely resign , no excuses, she is an elected member not part of a mindless gang... oh sorry she is.....

Libero

Number One (out of the blocks) is Gerry Breen
And Number Two (with spluttering outrage) is Gerry Breen
Nunber Three (announcing the result of a disciplinary process before it is held) is Gerry Breen
Number Four (not calling for the resignation of FG Dublin councillors who evade tax) is Gerry Breen

We all dream of a team of Gerry Breens, team of Gerry Breens, team of Gerry Breens...

Unless we're in Young Fine Gael in which case he's not in our good books: Speech to Young Fine Gael, Mansion House, Friday 10th September 2010 « Cllr Gerry Breen

ocoonassa

The Lord Mayor of Dublin Cllr Gerry Breen (FG) has said moments ago on Matt Cooper's Last Word that Eirigí Councillor Louise Minihan
Good to see Mr Breen confirming that FF and FG are as thick as thieves in all of this.

Simon.D

I personally think she was representing her mandate very well with that action and shouldn't resign...

mickdotcom

Number One (out of the blocks) is Gerry Breen
And Number Two (with spluttering outrage) is Gerry Breen
Nunber Three (announcing the result of a disciplinary process before it is held) is Gerry Breen
Number Four (not calling for the resignation of FG Dublin councillors who evade tax) is Gerry Breen

We all dream of a team of Gerry Breens, team of Gerry Breens, team of Gerry Breens...

Unless we're in Young Fine Gael in which case he's not in our good books: Speech to Young Fine Gael, Mansion House, Friday 10th September 2010 « Cllr Gerry Breen
Your a bollaux- I was halfway through reading your post before I copped
the song.

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
Quite right too.
Quite right my hole HBAP.. Quite frankly she was right to do it

While on this thread, and the other longer one will fill up with indignant posters talking about the "democratic process" and whatnot, the reality is, that Mary Harney has been a central figure in the complete and utter destruction of Irish politics, whereby we are now no more than a subservient vassal state of the EU, because we were unable to conduct ourselves financially or economically

She is also part of an administration which is denying at a minimum, three constituencies their democratic right to representation for no reason other than in all likeliehood the Government parties will lose all three elections and will have whatever mandate they heretofore thought they had, completely and utterly undermined.

In such cases, where no other means of "democratic" process is available to the populace, then the "kratos" will find other means to express their opinions and feelings. That is what was done today.

In my opinion, it was a long time coming, and if the Government continues to completely ignore the populace, should become a more common sight.

Practically every single major modern democracy was founded on some kind of violent or non violent direct action by ordinary people...

That Lord Mayor (stupid title and office by the way in my own opinion, and that includes my own fathers title of Mayor of Cashel), is an establishment lackey and his response is indicative of the FG attitude of "don't rock the boat, it'll be our turn next"

mickdotcom

I personally think she was representing her mandate very well with that action and shouldn't resign...
Are you really saying that she has a mandate to physcially attack and assault people she and her party doesnt agree with,

Just who exactly gave her this mandate.

The red paint that I used in today’s protest is symbolic of the blood that Harney, Fianna Fáil and the Green Party have on their hands. Irish citizens are literally dying to satisfy the demands of the IMF, the EU and the money markets
Whereas her armed wing would prefer genuine blood gathered through bombs and bullets.

This idiot and her idiot party make me retch-

Her actions are an affront to democracy- all democratic parties should
condemn her actions and the actions of eirigi- (even if your like me and think Harney is a waste of space- this isnt the way to deal with things)

cricket

It is of course right to protest whenever government members are at public functions , the more and louder the merrier.However , a line has to be drawn at violence ( no other word for it ) being used. It simply gives the establishment every excuse to prevent legitimate protests and how they would love that.
But then, how would you expect any member of eirigí to think things through.

Kerrygold

While I think Minihan's attack was stupid as it will only create sympathy for that cretin Harney, I think FG's reaction is ridiculous. Mary Harney's about to cut services for people with the most serious mental and physical disabilities and they are making a song and dance about some councillor breaking protocol? Ffs, give me a break.

Can they not learn to stay quiet?

ocoonassa

a line has to be drawn at violence ( no other word for it ) being used.
Why? Did it not serve to oust a previous batch of aristocratic locusts?

Indeed are there not people in your party who were advocating it far more recently?

Why the big turn around on the matter?

gweedore

Are you really saying that she has a mandate to physcially attack and assault people she and her party doesnt agree with,

Just who exactly gave her this mandate.
sounds a bit like the founders of this state

Kerrygold

It is of course right to protest whenever government members are at public functions , the more and louder the merrier.However , a line has to be drawn at violence ( no other word for it ) being used. It simply gives the establishment every excuse to prevent legitimate protests and how they would love that.
But then, how would you expect any member of eirigí to think things through.

In what way was it violent?

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
It seems she comes from a long line of barbarians

An Phoblacht: Interview : Dublin City Councillor Louise Minihan
My father was outside the British Embassy in Dublin when it was burnt in 1972 and he went on the protests during the Hunger Strike in 1981 - the year I was born. My mother was busy raising six children - my three sisters, two brothers and myself - but there was always talk in the house about what was going on. Even my mother would agree with the IRA strategy.
cYp

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies