Lord Mayor has pledged that he will reach out to ensure nationalists have "a role and a voice" in Northern Ireland's centenary events

McSlaggart

Belfast's new Lord Mayor has pledged that he will reach out to ensure nationalists have "a role and a voice" in Northern Ireland's centenary events.

The DUP's Frank McCoubrey said he was delighted as "a proud unionist" that he would be the city's first citizen for the 2021 anniversary of the formation of the state.

But he said that everyone should have a part to play in the centenary celebrations.

I think the man was doing his best to be moderate. The truth is if public money is being spent then any public money is going to be spent on the history of Northern Ireland then naturally it will include the full population. The first thing that Frank needs to grasp is not many people will be celebrating the sad history of northern Ireland first 100 years of failure. That said it would be good to explore what way the 100 years should be marked.

McTell

Belfast's new Lord Mayor has pledged that he will reach out to ensure nationalists have "a role and a voice" in Northern Ireland's centenary events.

The DUP's Frank McCoubrey said he was delighted as "a proud unionist" that he would be the city's first citizen for the 2021 anniversary of the formation of the state.

But he said that everyone should have a part to play in the centenary celebrations.

I think the man was doing his best to be moderate. The truth is if public money is being spent then any public money is going to be spent on the history of Northern Ireland then naturally it will include the full population. The first thing that Frank needs to grasp is not many people will be celebrating the sad history of northern Ireland first 100 years of failure. That said it would be good to explore what way the 100 years should be marked.

Agree. Not so much celebrate as learn from.

Ultimately historians in 2520 will say the orangemen took on too many "papists" in NI. Collins's invasions in 1922 made a bad situation worse. Lots of decent peeps on both sides were caught in the middle.

Levellers

I doubt very much that the supremacy practised by the unionist tyranny will see the light of day.

McSlaggart

Agree. Not so much celebrate as learn from.

Ultimately historians in 2520 will say the orangemen took on too many "papists" in NI. Collins's invasions in 1922 made a bad situation worse. Lots of decent peeps on both sides were caught in the middle.
Discrimination destroyed norther Ireland because it made its industrial base ineffective. It employed people on the basis of religion and not talent which ultimately made their industrial base much less effective than it should have been.

It systematically did not build infrastructure in places such as Tyrone / Derry which hindered employment opportunities for its population.

The Drumcree madness destroyed the RUC and has left the PSNI in a very difficult situation today if unionism decides to try its old techniques.

With Boris putting a border in the Irish sea it is telling that unionism reaction is one of

"
The silence from my former DUP colleagues over the new border in the Irish Sea is deafening
It is madness to put trade barriers between Northern Ireland and our biggest market (‘Irish Sea border a disaster and betrayal,’ May 21)."

Levellers

The unionist hegemony ran the economy of the north into the ground.

At the time of partition the north's economy was four times larger than that of the 26 counties. Today the economy of the 26 is 37 times bigger than the north.

blinding

The unionist hegemony ran the economy of the north into the ground.

At the time of partition the north's economy was four times larger than that of the 26 counties. Today the economy of the 26 is 37 times bigger than the north.
I believe had you told them that in 1921; They would have said “ WHOA "

between the bridges

Tbf I think its important nationalist have a role to play in the celebrations, somewan will have to stay sober and clean up after the party...

Dame_Enda

While I consider partition to have been a major mistake, I think that nonetheless, it's appropriate to mark it in a neutral way, that reflects both perspectives. It sounds difficult but is not impossible.

Ardillaun

Spare a thought for the Mayor. He’s in a tight spot. If you were a DUP boy in the same job, what would you say?

Mickeymac

Funny everyone else will see it as a wake.

I will never understand, why, a place coming out of decades of conflict, are permitted to engage in sectarian displays of hatred organised by the OO, an anti Catholic organisation........crazy.....unless of course they are looking a re run.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom