Lots of Colleagues heading to UAE

Wakeupcall

Its crazy, every week there is a new one. You earn 80k you receive 80k working for the same company doing the exact same thing. No Brainer... No incme tax.

Better services. After 5 years of making the average 2k a month after tax I now over the last few years make enough to have to pay an average of 5 k a month in tax. What do I get for this? Inventing new solutions within technology... why do I stay?

seanof

Its crazy, every week there is a new one. You earn 80k you receive 80k working for the same company doing the exact same thing. No Brainer... No incme tax.

Better services. After 5 years of making the average 2k a month after tax I now over the last few years make enough to have to pay an average of 5 k a month in tax. What do I get for this? Inventing new solutions within technology... why do I stay?
Sounds good. I'd be inclined to go.

devoutcapitalist

Is it true that many companies pay rent and flight costs for their employees who agree to move to the UAE?

D

Deleted member 17573

Is it true that many companies pay rent and flight costs for their employees who agree to move to the UAE?
They do - and you'd need it because rents are very high. Also services like air-conditioning cost a small fortune. Indeed it is generally an expensive spot. But I'd still give it a go if I was in my 20s or 30s.

devoutcapitalist

They do - and you'd need it because rents are very high. Also services like air-conditioning cost a small fortune. Indeed it is generally an expensive spot. But I'd still give it a go if I was in my 20s or 30s.
I'm not surprised about the costs of air conditioning given the temperatures in the UAE.

Degeneration X

Yes, Irish people I know have been going over there to teach for years now - also you get free flights during vacations for holidays and the petrol is dirt cheap.

gleeful

Cost of living in UAE can be sky high and after the novelty wears off theres little quality of life.

sic transit

How many is lots of colleagues?

Expose the lot of them

Some provide accommodation for the duration of the contract, others for a set period at the beginning and then stand as guarantor for the rent. Rent has to be paid in advance, post dated cheques accepted, failure to honour the cheque and you go straight to jail. Flights are always paid for.

What you really need, if you want to save, is a decent expat package, accommodation, transport, recreational club membership. Without a decent package 80k won't go far.

Degeneration X

If only one could drink it:lol:
Don't some of those Martial arts type guys do precisely that? I hear they drink small amounts and build up an immunity, fire breathers also.

Can't say I'd really want to though.

D

Deleted member 17573

Some provide accommodation for the duration if the contract, others for a set period at the beginning and then stand as guarantor for the rent. Rent has to be paid in advance, post dated cheques accepted, failure to honour the cheque and you go straight to jail. Flights are always paid for.

What you really need, if you want to save, is a decent expat package, accommodation, transport, recreational club membership. Without a decent package 80k won't go far.
And school fees if you have kids. Very expensive.

dizillusioned

Life is about exploring. I have lived on 3 Continents and loved parts of everything. While Ireland is still home and always will be, I love living where I am here.

If it is something you want to do.. just DO IT. Who knows where you will be in a few years time. If you are single it is easier, but if you have kids it can be a little daunting.

Personally, I have found that there are more advantages than disadvantages to living abroad. I still get to see my family and friends regularly and the quality time with them is just that.. Quality.

It does take time to adjust and fit in and make new friends, but with time these become part of the norm.

I say go for it. When you get older (like me) you will not be wondering... What if????

asset test

So we as taxpayers pay for all the training and they feck off. Same with doctors and nurses.

Should be a 20% payback for each year they are away or something.

That sounds like sour grapes from me, I know this. I can't help but think there should be some (even a little) payback clause for fecking off if you are in a position to do that where the taxpayer has funded your education and training, not everyone can do this due to personal circumstances.

Expose the lot of them

And school fees if you have kids. Very expensive.
Indeed, either for a local international school or in the home country with flights during the holidays.

80k tax free seems a lot viewed from Ireland but in reality, without a decent expat package,which most teachers do not get, has the purchasing power of around 30k net in Ireland. You think rents are high in Ireland, wait till you see accommodation costs in the UAE. Cheapest Emirate is Sharjah, which is dry and salaries lower.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17573

So we as taxpayers pay for all the training and they feck off. Same with doctors and nurses.

That sounds like sour grapes from me, I know this. I can't help but think there should be some (even a little) payback clause for fecking off if you are in a position to do that where the taxpayer has funded your education and training, not everyone can do this due to personal circumstances.
Student loan scheme for fees would take care of that.

dizillusioned

The only thing stopping anyone is themselves. There is nothing that cannot be overcome.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies