• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Loughgall - 20 years on

Ireland2007

http://www.anphoblacht.com/news/detail/18580

To mark this tragic event a commemorative website – www.loughgall20.com – has been constructed by the Loughgall20 Commemorative Committee which was formed in October last year in preparation for the 20th anniversary.
Speaking this week to An Phoblacht, PRO for the Committee Ruairí Gildernew said the site was formed in response to the huge interest in the event shown by young people, not only from East Tyrone but throughout Ireland and beyond.
“They want to know what happened that day and why and we’ve had a huge response to the site already from places like Scotland and the US. People are even contacting us to enquire about accommodation here because they want to come and see the place where it happened for themselves”, he said.
http://www.loughgall20.com/

R.I.P

Seamus

Website
monaghan32csm.blogs.ie
Doesnt seem to mention the irony that 20 years on from that day the provos are sitting in stormont having accepted british law,government,police and the fact that most if not all of the men killed that day were in the process of opposing the provos before they died.

Most republicans from the area will adhere from giving anyone political points on the backs of there deaths and remember them in there own way.
To be honest id be happier if they were alive today than being disgraced by the actions of cowards and colloborators.

jerryp

Heroes my arse, the only people I feel sorry for here are the relatives of the two innocent civilians. What simply happened was a Provo murder squad was intercepted on a mission, thought now to have been because of an informer.

Doylers

Seamus said:
Doesnt seem to mention the irony that 20 years on from that day the provos are sitting in stormont having accepted british law,government,police and the fact that most if not all of the men killed that day were in the process of opposing the provos before they died.

Most republicans from the area will adhere from giving anyone political points on the backs of there deaths and remember them in there own way.
To be honest id be happier if they were alive today than being disgraced by the actions of cowards and colloborators.

was there a possibility they were ''turned in'' by the Provo leadership, because they were in the process of opposing them. I seem to remember reading somewhere, the East Tyrone Brigade were planning on setting up a ''Flying Column'' and the Provo leadership were against this.

Johnny

Doylers said:
Seamus said:

was there a possibility they were ''turned in'' by the Provo leadership, because they were in the process of opposing them. I seem to remember reading somewhere, the East Tyrone Brigade were planning on setting up a ''Flying Column'' and the Provo leadership were against this.
That's Ed Moloney's thesis from his "Secret History."

Doylers

Johnny said:
Doylers said:
Seamus said:

yeah, thanks, I remember now thats where I read it.

Johnny

Doylers said:
Johnny said:
Doylers said:
Seamus said:

yeah, thanks, I remember now thats where I read it.
He makes various hazy observations about the events within the Movement prior to Loughall. He doesn't directly accuse anyone but the reader could be forgiven for thinking that the SF leadership were behind the interception of the ambush.

mothball

If the volunteers were contemplating breaking away then it has to be said that the leadership certainly had something to gain by having the unit wiped out.
However, I find it a bit difficult to accept that, since there are a number of other reasons why the operation failed.

meriwether

Ive read a theory that the informer was Tony Gormally. Anyone any thoughts?
The SF leadership may have opposed the creation of a flying column- but tha would be for the good reason that it would have been insanity.
British technology has moved on since 1921. One satellite image, and one attack helicopter, and thats the end of the column.

beardyboy

Noble men - noble cause - noble memory

edifice.

meriwether said:
The SF leadership may have opposed the creation of a flying column- but tha would be for the good reason that it would have been insanity.
British technology has moved on since 1921. One satellite image, and one attack helicopter, and thats the end of the column.
They opposed the creation of a military strategy.

Ireland2007

meriwether said:
I've also read the informer was Jim Lynagh.

That's how ridiculous rumour mongering as far as informers within the IRA goes.

edifice.

Ireland2007 said:
meriwether said:
I've also read the informer was Jim Lynagh.

That's how ridiculous rumour mongering as far as informers within the IRA goes.
Pillow talk.

Seamus

Website
monaghan32csm.blogs.ie
As far as the operation goes its widely known that Lynagh was under surveillance from the gardai and when he left the area or whatever they tipped off the ruc that something was going on as the gardai wouldnt deal directly with the british army at the time.
That is probably the reason they were ambushed along with other minor security issues which would normally have been taken care off prior to that attack.

The whole informer tag (while i had suspicions in the past admittingly) was and is used to sow tensions in the republican movement, and a lot of republicans (who would be very suspicious and conspiracy minded in the past) realised this when they accused lynagh with groundless statements of which even martin ingram an ex brit dismissed very easily.

The media also want to blacken the names of republicans like lynagh,mcelwaine and pete ryan who werent in their view the stereotypical republican volunteer ie drug dealing,intent on killing innocent people,mafioso type characters and this irked them immensely and still does.

The meeting that was mentioned in ed moloneys book did happen and its hard to know what happened exactly at that but there was definitely opposition to what was going on and this wasnt just in monaghan/tyrone but south armagh,south derry and other places.
When you put this level of opposition in the context of abstentionism from just leinster house (despite the units being aware of arms from libya) never mind stormont and the british police you'd get a reasonable idea of what could happened had they lived.

The loss of the erskund and libyan weapons is a bigger question some in the provos would find uncomfortable id say.

Today and now though we have to realise what is in front of us in terms of the denial of irish sovereignity and partition and the men that were killed that day should be a reminder of the dedication and resolve of irish republicans and no matter what the british and their underlings throw at us, we will never give up as giving up would be in the same league as firing the sas weapons that day.

Seamus

Website
monaghan32csm.blogs.ie
I was up in East Tyrone today and i noticed a few billboards with the loughgall men's pictures on them from the same crowd that have made this website.
At least they didnt put any filth from psf on them thankfully.

KeithM

jerryp said:
Heroes my arse, the only people I feel sorry for here are the relatives of the two innocent civilians. What simply happened was a Provo murder squad was intercepted on a mission, thought now to have been because of an informer.
Indeed, it's a shame that more of these bastards didn't go the same way.

Ireland2007

KeithM said:
jerryp said:
Indeed, it's a shame that more of these bastards didn't go the same way.
Big lawd... shuda tried your hand at dispatching them yourself... you'd have lasted long.

eamo

people who are missled into terrorism are still terrorists. it was indeed tragic these people were killed. it would have been infinatly more tragic if they had survived and killed god knows how many other people. may they rest in peace, but more important, as they seem to have been serious terrorists, may their victioms rest in peace.