Louth Football Manager to run for Fine Gael

sandar

according to weecountynews.com
peter fitzpatrick is to run in the GE on the FG ticket.
does that make another seat more likley, whose vote would he take?

smitchy2

It would seem likely now that it will be 2 FG and 2 SF.
Labour will struggle to get a quota only getting 5% the last time and will be in a battle with SF2 for the last seats. I would say that FF transfers will decide this.

Nordie Northsider

Sporting figure stands for office: now that's the kind of mould-breaking, ground-shifting, policy-based, radical new politics the country needs.:eek:

sandar

whats the geographca l spread between the tow louth FG candidates?

civilserpant

Theres a FF seat here along with the CC. Treating it as a four seater for the eelction purposes its 1 FF 1 FG 1 SF and either 2 FG or 1 lab. SF won't get 2 seats. I think Adams vote, while enough, wont be what SF supporters think it will be.

cillian32

Labour will struggle to get a quota only getting 5% the last time and will be in a battle with SF2 for the last seats. I would say that FF transfers will decide this.
Who else is running with adams??On the louth manager running,i hope the people in louth see that celebrity candidates are a stupid idea and hes just being used by FG!!!!! although im sure he would love the pay check.

ruamruam

I thought that SF were only running Adams, are they now running two candidates?

smitchy2

Theres a FF seat here along with the CC. Treating it as a four seater for the eelction purposes its 1 FF 1 FG 1 SF and either 2 FG or 1 lab. SF won't get 2 seats. I think Adams vote, while enough, wont be what SF supporters think it will be.
Looking at 2007 results, FG look very solid here- I would say they are looking at 35% plus of the vote.
Adams is likely to come in 1st or 2nd. Morgan built up a solid base here way above the national vote. Adams may have enough to take a 2nd candidate(TBC) over but I would say it will be a fight out with Labour.

You might think that FF have a seat here but considering it is going down to a 4 seater and Ahern and Kirk will not be running I cannot see them pulling it off. That is why I think their candidates transfers will decide the 4th spot.

White Horse

whats the geographca l spread between the tow louth FG candidates?
Close to perfect.

O'Dowd is Drogheda based and close to the parts of East Meath that were added to the constituency.

Fitzpatrick is Dundalk based but has great appeal in mid-Louth and north-Louth (the GAA playing parts of the county).

This will be a strong ticket and will be in with a great chance of taking two seats.

Labour should take one, and I predict the last will be a dogfight between the Sinn Fein candidate and whoever FF can find to stand.

South

Website
homepage.eircom.net
I think his entrance into the race is a good thing and he has traits far beyond being the County Manager, he knows what it takes to run a good SME and has great ties to the community.

John O'Mahoney has turned out to be a hard working and solid TD for Mayo, he mightn't grab the headlines but he has raised some good issues and has surprising depth to his work, same with Sean Kelly.

GAA names have a proven success in politics because they have a natural tie to the community on top of credible professional backgrounds

ItsEvolution

Well done FG. I hope Louth get a run for Sam this year after recent disgraceful events.

As for Gerry Adams, he should take the hint: Louth GAA do not want you turning up like a vampire at their matches. Go back to Antrim, for which your little boy Gearoid played.
Ha no chance Louth will be near sam this year its the dubs year

Orchard Rebel

If Fitzpatrick is beaten by one vote, will his supporters assault the returning officer?:eek:

Nano Nagle

What is it with Fine Gael running GAA stars? They already have Sean Kelly as MEP and that fella as TD in Mayo. Both are useless quite frankly. They ran Graham Geraghty in Meath in 2007 too. Hope the people of Louth see this as the paroachial stunt it is.

goosebump

John O'Mahoney has turned out to be a hard working and solid TD for Mayo, he mightn't grab the headlines but he has raised some good issues and has surprising depth to his work.
What issues has O'Mahony raised that are of any interest to anyone outside the general area of Mayo in which he lives?

GAA names have a proven success in politics because they have a natural tie to the community on top of credible professional backgrounds
Like who?

Jimmy Dehihan?

Orchard Rebel

What issues has O'Mahony raised that are of any interest to anyone outside the general area of Mayo in which he lives?

Like who?

Jimmy Dehihan?
Jack Lynch and (to a lesser extent) Tony Dempsey are a couple of names that come to mind.

Club125

Fitzpatrick may not come across well, I've seen him interviewed after matches and his excitable tones may be too much for the Savage Eye

New Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom