• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Love letter from Germany

ionsniffer

The ultimate virtue-signalling cringe, sez I. If germany wanted to keep them in the eu, they should not have invited in 1 million refugees without consulting the whole EU. That was the reason many voted for brexit.

Soooo, what kind of letter would we put together, begging the brits to give it one last chance?

:inlove::inlove::inlove::inlove:

Brexit: High-profile Germans plead with UK to stay in EU - BBC News

Leading German figures have written to the UK asking it to stay in the EU.

The letter, published in the Times, is signed by 31 people, including the leader of the Christian Democratic Union - and likely successor to Angela Merkel - Annegret Kramp-Karrenbauer and former Arsenal goalkeeper Jens Lehmann.
They cited post-work pints and pantomime as beloved British habits.
But the UK's role in post-war Europe is the focus of the signatories calling for Britain to stay.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
I remember when Germany, France and the US were all suddenly in love with us too. It was right after the first Lisbon referendum when we made the applecart rock slightly.

Mind you they were very quickly out of love with us a couple of short years later when there was no help with legacy bank debts. Scorned, snubbed and cast aside... (snuffle)...

jimbohane

I predict a great sea change in opinion in Ireland on the future of the EU. I can also tell you when exactly that will happen. Around the time that the EU announces it is going to have to overhaul the agricultural subsidy system, under pressure at World Trade Talks from China and the US.

It will be astonishing how quickly anti-EU sentiment will appear in spades after that.
The latest ''scientific research'' on how we are eating too much meat could have been a political ploy to back up what is going to be proposed and we will be told that it is all for our own good.

jimbohane

Yeah, after a lot of dead people. Make no mistake, this Brexiteer nonsense will restart the war, cos Britain has reneged on almost all the terms of ithe peace. Therefore the peace is null and void.

We didn't want this. You fnckers insisted on it. What happens next is all on the Brexiteers.

Have fun with that.
I thought De Chastelain told us that all the PIRA arms had been destroyed?

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Serious point though. Although there is much that is smoke and mirror about our economy given the passporting of corporate sale through the state's books on the way to elsewhere, what is incontrovertible is the amount our economy depends on what is really our primary industry- agricultural exports.

One can understood the economic imperative of EU membership and access to the single market in that respect. I wonder how many love letters there will be further down the road though when there is an accumulation of demands to reduce the farming subsidies.

There is a certain aggregate of issues on the horizon, one of them being the emerging imperative to get people to eat less meat, another being pressure at a global level on the EU single market to reduce subsidies and allow competition to enter the market as part of concessions at world trade talks/GATT talks, the natural departure of the smaller farmholdings in favour of roboticised farming practices on larger scaled up farming operations run by conglomerates where the savings on scale are obvious.

So a challenging horizon for probably our biggest real industry. At the moment the dynamics of being in the EU are critical for Ireland.

But what about tomorrow? With the promotion of Qualified Majority Voting at EU level which lessens the influence of the smaller member countries will we end up seeing Germany utilising EU trade policy in support of its primary export markets, their auto and machinery industry being propped up to support their balance sheet but that support fading away for the balance sheets of the smaller member states?

There may be a political overlap where the smaller states become ever more dependent on Germany and France and their political and economic decisions while we get less and less say in them.

Would support for EU membership in Ireland be sustained through those dynamics?

OrderoftheDragon

Don't think for one sec the Krauts won't sell us out, if there's 100,000 German manufactured cars to be sold in the UK or not as the case may be. Our 5th columnists in Brussels will make a fuss, but that's about the size of it, back to the trough for them.

bang bang

The ultimate virtue-signalling cringe, sez I. If germany wanted to keep them in the eu, they should not have invited in 1 million refugees without consulting the whole EU. That was the reason many voted for brexit.

Soooo, what kind of letter would we put together, begging the brits to give it one last chance?

:inlove::inlove::inlove::inlove:

Brexit: High-profile Germans plead with UK to stay in EU - BBC News

Leading German figures have written to the UK asking it to stay in the EU.

The letter, published in the Times, is signed by 31 people, including the leader of the Christian Democratic Union - and likely successor to Angela Merkel - Annegret Kramp-Karrenbauer and former Arsenal goalkeeper Jens Lehmann.
They cited post-work pints and pantomime as beloved British habits.
But the UK's role in post-war Europe is the focus of the signatories calling for Britain to stay.
We wouldn't, at this stage we all have a pain in our bollox with them, entertainment value aside.

bang bang

It's the Truth

Al that has changed is that Berlin realised after 1945 that they needed the Frogs to carry it of...
You really are a total gobshyte, trying to compare present day Germany to nazi era Germany. Your embarrassing yourself.

bang bang

Others things played a more significant role IMO
Freedom of movement internally in the EU (rather than refugees) and the treatment of Cameron on the subject by the EU , in a country always sceptical and distrustful of the French and Germans ( a distrust confirmed by De Gaulles ambush rejection of their first application to join) along with a brutal Remain campaign, all coming at a time of increased (Global) disillusionment with politics politicians and the Establishment lead to a perfect storm
It took a while but De Gaulle was proved right.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
One side-benefit of the whole issue is that it must leave fellows like John Bruton raging as Ireland and Sandringham move further apart.

bang bang

I should have mentioned Irexiteers. It's just that as a group they are so new and so obviously batsh1t fncking deranged I often discount them as the infinitesimally miniscule group of total headbangers on the very wildest fringes of the fringe that they so obviously are.
Bang on the money.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Oh come now. We have much headbangier window-lickin' loons than that.

bang bang

Dafuq you gibbering on about now you space cadet? Do you think that living overseas means I can't read the papers and talk to friends and family at home? You are saying that while arguing with someone 11500 kms away over the internet, you spanner!

I've never been a member of SF. In fact the only political party I've ever been a member of was...FF! (it was in the Albert era, I quit as soon as Ahern took over for the record) I just corrected the howling gibberish and anti-history that this site is famous for when all the Cruiserologists with their deranged Partitionist agendas come out to play. For a certain type of eejit, laying out the correct historical timelines and facts of the Troubles automatically makes a poster an Evil Shinner. I'm by no means alone in this. Anytime any poster round here talks sense and facts about the actual history of the North, the right-wing nutters call them a baby-eating Provo murderer.

Fncking tiny-minded morons.
I suffer a bit of that myself from the usual suspects, you know who you are. I just laugh it off, sad shinner obsessed phuckwits.

bang bang

Its obvious that they've taken the referendum result extremely personally and are now acting like the spurned woman. The bitterness and desire to punish the uk is barely concealed now. Selmayr talking about NI being 'the price' for brexit.

Arrogant, unelected euro satrap and Juncker fluffer saying he will carve up the uk? What is he on..
No, the Brits thought they could have their cake and eat it and took the hump when they were told to phuck off.