• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Love letter from Germany

bang bang

I predict a great sea change in opinion in Ireland on the future of the EU. I can also tell you when exactly that will happen. Around the time that the EU announces it is going to have to overhaul the agricultural subsidy system, under pressure at World Trade Talks from China and the US.

It will be astonishing how quickly anti-EU sentiment will appear in spades after that.
You lot are constantly predicting this and similar, I won't hold my breath.

Telstar 62

The same Germans, along with the other fat cat Eurocrats, gave David Cameron
a humiliating fock all before the Referendum. :unsure:

Now it's crocodile tears time!!! :wink:

JCR

Don't think for one sec the Krauts won't sell us out, if there's 100,000 German manufactured cars to be sold in the UK or not as the case may be. Our 5th columnists in Brussels will make a fuss, but that's about the size of it, back to the trough for them.

Unwissendes Paddy-Arschloch

McDave

Do you honestly believe that Merkels policy of open borders and breaking the law by allowing in millions of uneducated sub Saharan migrants without first consulting and getting agreement from all the EU members states was democracy in action? It was the action of a dictator which has increased crime in Germany so much so that the media were instructed not to publish the country of origin or religion of those who are involved in rape and murder for fear of her actions causing a backlash from native Germans. The horrific rape spree by migrant on new years eve a couple of years ago being a prime example. Fortunately for us and unfortunately for her social media exposed the lies and now she is backtracking and saying that her policy on migration was a failure after far right parties in Germany gained substantially from her stupidity.
The problem with a lot of people on this forum is the need to ‘believe’ in some extremist or simplistic political stance. In my opinion, Merkel behaved responsibly in giving a serious helping hand to the massive refugee crisis Greece and Italy were dealing with. A refugee crisis caused in great part by right wing Anglo-Saxon regime changers. It catalysted her exit from the political stage, an exit she would have had to have faced anyway. If she hadn’t Greece would have been utterly overwhelmed by the sheer numbers coming through Turkey. The real solution involves firm external borders and a hard line on economic migrants, but that wasn’t the reality of 2015.

In describing Merkel as a ‘dictator’ you’ve simply exposed yourself as another idiot extremist (maybe you’re the fascist). The job of responsible politics is to keep voters in the centre and away from the loony fringes in which you reside, while trying to deal reasonably with the intractable problems the world throws at us. Give me Merkel over sad loons like you any day of the week.

McDave

I'm anti-all these 3. There's nothing wrong with the EU sticking to what worked - open borders. Too many orgs develop "mission creep".

But I'm also not happy at Selmayr's elevation. We hear a lot about how the EU is rules-based, and then when it comes to the in-crowd at the top, the rules can be forgotten. Sauce for the goose etc. It smacks of arrogance.

Subscribe to read | Financial Times

Latest on Martin Selmayr
Brussels acts to appease critics of Selmayr appointmentMEPs call for review of ‘coup-like’ Selmayr appointmentMartin Selmayr EU watchdog criticises promotion of Martin SelmayrOmbudsman says Brussels failed to follow correct procedure over appointment
‘Ever closer union’ has always been the theme underlying European union. The EU has already evolved way beyond a common market. No mission creep at all. In fact what we’re seeing now, after two decades of membership expansion, is a reversion to a higher level integration within a consenting core.

Selmayr? So what? Blah Blah Blah. The latest Europhobe ‘straight banana’ nonsense. Have fun with that while you can.

McDave

It isn't. Severe restrictions on freedom of speech and a very closed media.
It is. It’s a substantially Atlanticist Western European democracy.

Not having Rupert Murdoch setting the media template on Europe doesn’t count as a restriction on freedom of speech.

Orbit v2

Leading German figures have written to the UK asking it to stay in the EU.

The letter, published in the Times, is signed by 31 people, including the leader of the Christian Democratic Union - and likely successor to Angela Merkel - Annegret Kramp-Karrenbauer and former Arsenal goalkeeper Jens Lehmann.
They cited post-work pints and pantomime as beloved British habits.
But the UK's role in post-war Europe is the focus of the signatories calling for Britain to stay.
It's so sad. I've posted about this before. There is a genuine interest and respect for British culture among Germans. Of course, many British people know this, but you have to ask is Fintan O'Toole right in wondering if some Brits think that the result of WWII has been reversed by economic means. The tragedy is that if you reduce it to a mere economic p!ssing contest, the UK economy will be the same size or larger than Germany's by 2050, purely through demographics.

flavirostris

‘Ever closer union’ has always been the theme underlying European union. The EU has already evolved way beyond a common market. No mission creep at all. In fact what we’re seeing now, after two decades of membership expansion, is a reversion to a higher level integration within a consenting core.

Selmayr? So what? Blah Blah Blah. The latest Europhobe ‘straight banana’ nonsense. Have fun with that while you can.
So what? The Selmayr appointment is a major scandal. Even europhiles acknowledge that.

An ombudsman's report found that his appointment was highly questionable, with normal procedures bypassed.

The Commission rejected the report.

McDave

So what? The Selmayr appointment is a major scandal. Even europhiles acknowledge that.

An ombudsman's report found that his appointment was highly questionable, with normal procedures bypassed.

The Commission rejected the report.
Again, so what. Major scandal? Storm in a teacup. You need to get out more.

jimbohane

The problem with a lot of people on this forum is the need to ‘believe’ in some extremist or simplistic political stance. In my opinion, Merkel behaved responsibly in giving a serious helping hand to the massive refugee crisis Greece and Italy were dealing with. A refugee crisis caused in great part by right wing Anglo-Saxon regime changers. It catalysted her exit from the political stage, an exit she would have had to have faced anyway. If she hadn’t Greece would have been utterly overwhelmed by the sheer numbers coming through Turkey. The real solution involves firm external borders and a hard line on economic migrants, but that wasn’t the reality of 2015.

In describing Merkel as a ‘dictator’ you’ve simply exposed yourself as another idiot extremist (maybe you’re the fascist). The job of responsible politics is to keep voters in the centre and away from the loony fringes in which you reside, while trying to deal reasonably with the intractable problems the world throws at us. Give me Merkel over sad loons like you any day of the week.
Your pathetic attempt at trying to justify Merkels undemocratic decision shows how uneducated you are where politics and democracy are concerned.There was no legal obligation on her to allow these migrants in and rather than take the action she did to open the floodgates she should have closed the borders to Greece and Italy and given them all the help they need to send these people back to where they came from especially those without papers. Instead the clown made it be known that assistance would be given to all those making the crossing from Africa and voila the floodgates openedL You are one of those foolish people who believe the myths that '' I was in such a hurry to leave that I forgot my passport scam'' and of course you are very fast like the liberal lefy lackey that you are to call people names like Nazis if they dare to show a bit of patriotism and put their own people first, You probably delude yourself into thinking that multiculturalism has been a success in Europe when all the evidence points to the opposite and your herone Merkel has even admitted that she got it wrong but what good is closing the gate when the horse has bolted?

McDave

flavirostris

Northsideman

McDave

Your pathetic attempt at trying to justify Merkels undemocratic decision shows how uneducated you are where politics and democracy are concerned.There was no legal obligation on her to allow these migrants in and rather than take the action she did to open the floodgates she should have closed the borders to Greece and Italy and given them all the help they need to send these people back to where they came from especially those without papers. Instead the clown made it be known that assistance would be given to all those making the crossing from Africa and voila the floodgates openedL You are one of those foolish people who believe the myths that '' I was in such a hurry to leave that I forgot my passport scam'' and of course you are very fast like the liberal lefy lackey that you are to call people names like Nazis if they dare to show a bit of patriotism and put their own people first, You probably delude yourself into thinking that multiculturalism has been a success in Europe when all the evidence points to the opposite and your herone Merkel has even admitted that she got it wrong but what good is closing the gate when the horse has bolted?
Merkel is the duly appointed leader of a democratic state. Decisions she took were not ultra vires. It’s a simple lie on your part to state that it was ‘undemocratic’.

One of the rationales for the policy was to take pressure off an existing problem for Greece and Italy. How would you propose to return a million migrants already in situ. Furthermore, why are you so exercised about it? Ultimately it’s a matter for the German government and the German electorate. It’s really none of you business. It’s not for you to make pompous pronouncements on what’s good for the Germans. They can make their own minds up.

Finally, I didn’t ‘call’ you a Nazi. I stated in response to your ludicrous and insulting accusation that Merkel was a ‘dictator’ that maybe you’re the fascist. If you can insult others, you’ll have to suck up legitimate blowback.

*The rest of your rant is quasi-illiterate garbage* :)

McDave

eh?

Juncker bypasses procedure to plant his lapdog in the most powerful civil service job in Brussels and you think that's a 'storm in a teacup'.

You're wilfully blind to any EU skullduggery.

O’Reilly report on Selmayr rejected by commissioner | Ireland | The Sunday Times

You’re overplaying the issue. And naively ascribing to the EU characteristics you don’t seem to think apply elsewhere. In the grander scheme of things the Selmayr controversy is small beer.

And indeed how is it relevant to this thread? Other than to give you another opportunity to rant against the EU.

flavirostris

You’re overplaying the issue. And naively ascribing to the EU characteristics you don’t seem to think apply elsewhere. In the grander scheme of things the Selmayr controversy is small beer.

And indeed how is it relevant to this thread? Other than to give you another opportunity to rant against the EU.
Willfully stupid as well as willfully blind then.

Maybe you'd just prefer if the EU was operated like the court of Louis XIV, with powerful positions being dispensed at the whim of of people like Juncker and no need for any interview or scrutiny or anything like that.

McDave

Willfully stupid as well as willfully blind then.

Maybe you'd just prefer if the EU was operated like the court of Louis XIV, with powerful positions being dispensed at the whim of of people like Juncker and no need for any interview or scrutiny or anything like that.
Obsess away, little phobie. You can eat cake. :) It’s not exactly a ‘constitutional’ crisis. Much and all as you need your rant.

As to the OP, it has no bearing on Brexit, or on the wish of certain German political actors for Britain to reverse its decision.