• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Love letter from Germany

flavirostris

Obsess away, little phobie. You can eat cake. :) It’s not exactly a ‘constitutional’ crisis. Much and all as you need your rant.

As to the OP, it has no bearing on Brexit, or on the wish of certain German political actors for Britain to reverse its decision.
I'd rather be a 'phobie' than a toadie TBH.

marbles22

Give over you lot. Ive lived here for eight years now. In Germany. Id love to be home, but i have my responsibilities. Gad i miss Ireland. Anyhow. Now. Ive lived in many places. Every country has its own news... But the thing you are missing out on here is that every country treats its citizens differently.

This is NOT a story about Germany, but rather... Money. And an Americanized land. People here are only numbers. In Ireland, it's different. and be glad for that. Really, i cant state that enough. You want to go fishing here on the strand, you are going to have to do a 40hr course with a written and oral exam. Here, in Germany. I can teach the instructor, as i have been fishing since i was 4 years old. But NOPE. You have to have that slip of paper.

Be glad for your freedoms. Here, your freedoms are an industry. That Capitalist idea came from the Americans. But it rubs off on folks. They forget humanity, and as the German population is ageing, they decided to bring in new workers. 1.5 million of them. For the unqualified German, or Irish fella... Unqualified... you are borderline doing slave labor work.

Just enough to get the rent paid, and enough for one meal a day. You are hungry all the time. Im doing my CCNA at the moment. In the hope of a better future for me and my kid. If i was to pay for it alone... It would cost me €280 for the books and €450 for the exams. So say...€730. And i could work in my spare time.

But as i got laid off from Amazon because my Sub company folded, I had to go to the Arbeitsamt. (German Doll Office)

Do i want to work for €1300 per month after tax and mandatory health care? No! So I chose that course.

That cost the Arbeitsamt €9500. I have no teacher, but i do have books and YouTube, I cant ask the mentors because it is too advanced for them. Suppose the free Coffee is good. Some bloody consolation prize i tell you.

After the rent is paid and the bills, im left with €300 to live on.

BUT you are forced to do it, because you need that slip of paper.

McDave

Give over you lot. Ive lived here for eight years now. In Germany. Id love to be home, but i have my responsibilities. Gad i miss Ireland. Anyhow. Now. Ive lived in many places. Every country has its own news... But the thing you are missing out on here is that every country treats its citizens differently.
This is NOT a story about Germany, but rather... Money. And an Americanized (Spelling?) land. People here are only numbers. In Ireland, it's different. and be glad for that. Really, i cant state that enough. You want to go fishing on the strand, you are going to have to do a 40hr course with a written and oral exam. Here, in Germany. I can teach the instructor, as i have been fishing since i was 4 years old. But NOPE. You have to have that slip of paper.

Be glad for your freedoms. Here, your freedoms are an industry. That Capitalist idea came from the Americans. But it rubs off on folks. They forget humanity, and as the German population is ageing, they decided to bring in new workers. 1.5 million of them. For the unqualified German, or Irish fella... Unqualified... you are borderline doing slave labor work.

Just enough to get the rent paid, and enough for one meal a day. You are hungry all the time. Im doing my CCNA at the moment. In the hope of a better future for me and my kid. If i was to pay for it alone... It would cost me €280 for the books and €450 for the exams. So say...€730. And i could work in my spare time.

But as i got laid off from Amazon because my Sub company folded, I had to go to the Arbeitsamt. Do i want to work for €1300 per month after tax an mandatory health care? No! So I chose that course. That cost the arbeitsamt €9500. I have no teacher, but i do have books and YouTube, I cant ask the mentors because it is too advanced for them. Yet i get free coffee. Some bloody consolation prize i tell you.

That’s funny. I worked in a Berlin for a few years. I still miss it. Despite the bureaucracy.

Found it to be quite a humane place, for such a big city.

marbles22

That’s funny. I worked in a Berlin for a few years. I still miss it. Despite the bureaucracy.

Found it to be quite a humane place, for such a big city.
Yeah. I was there in 1994 and came back with more money than i left with. Not the case now though.

jimbohane

Merkel is the duly appointed leader of a democratic state. Decisions she took were not ultra vires. It’s a simple lie on your part to state that it was ‘undemocratic’.

One of the rationales for the policy was to take pressure off an existing problem for Greece and Italy. How would you propose to return a million migrants already in situ. Furthermore, why are you so exercised about it? Ultimately it’s a matter for the German government and the German electorate. It’s really none of you business. It’s not for you to make pompous pronouncements on what’s good for the Germans. They can make their own minds up.

Finally, I didn’t ‘call’ you a Nazi. I stated in response to your ludicrous and insulting accusation that Merkel was a ‘dictator’ that maybe you’re the fascist. If you can insult others, you’ll have to suck up legitimate blowback.

*The rest of your rant is quasi-illiterate garbage* :)
. Not alone do you make stupid excuses for Merkels madness you conveniently turn a blind eye to corruption by Juncker and even justify it. I am not one bit concerned for Germany's problems, the far right parties will take care of that in the future thanks to her undemocratic decision which is causing mayhem in parts of her country. The silly cow now has realised that she got it wrong and has apologised to the German people. So your admiration for a fool is best summed up by quoting Flavirostris ie you are ''wilfully stupid and wilfully blind''.:laugh:

McTell

Twitter
No
Merkel is the duly appointed leader of a democratic state. Decisions she took were not ultra vires. It’s a simple lie on your part to state that it was ‘undemocratic’.

One of the rationales for the policy was to take pressure off an existing problem for Greece and Italy. //

I would agree, only she said that germany owed a bit of kindness to the world because of WW2. Then she wanted us all to take them on - which was like saying we have to pay so that the germans can feel better about WW2.

Germans today should not feel bad about ww2.

Anyhows, thanks Ms Merkel for losing us the EU's 2nd biggest payer, and lining up Albania as a very acceptable replacement.

stopdoingstuff

I love the Germans and I love the Brits too. As for the EU, it is anti-democratic and illegitimate. I can't wait until the yellow vests move on to Brussels and wreck the gaff.

Shpake

If the purpose of an EU army is to prevent the Russians from sweeping across the central European plains to the Atlantic coast then I wonder just how much it would cost to set up an EU army capable of preventing that from happening?

Because as far as I can recall from the days when Germany had many a US base in it the accepted likely outcome of any attempt to stop the soviet era tanks from reaching the Atlantic coast would have been a short term delay only unless nukes were used.

And if nukes are used in any such outbreak in the skies over Europe you can forget about the debate on the Euro. For good.
That depends on what time you are recalling: 1945? At that time the Red Army was no match for the US/UK combined force. The USSR was in a shambles...and they had no nukes either.
Early 1950's the Rooskies got their nukes and had managed to rebuild
1960s, Berlin wall, Cuban crisis... They could have taken West Berlin, no question about it -- but getting through the Fulda gap? I don't think your analysis applies to that time.
1970's ? Don't think so either... From the odd conversation I had with military people back then... Apart from West Berlin which was f**ked... the only people prepared to live there were the old Berliners and a massive Turkish population.
1980's ... Premier Brezhnev decided it was necessary to station his SS20 medium-range missiles in East Germany... why would he have done that if his tank regiments were so much on top of their game. You may recall that Carter/Regan responded with the stationing of Pershing 11 and Cruise missiles. But then what military commander is going to show is full hand before a war starts?

Shpake

This is NOT a story about Germany, but rather... Money. And an Americanized land. People here are only numbers. In Ireland, it's different. and be glad for that. Really, i cant state that enough. You want to go fishing here on the strand, you are going to have to do a 40hr course with a written and oral exam. Here, in Germany. I can teach the instructor, as i have been fishing since i was 4 years old. But NOPE. You have to have that slip of paper.

But as i got laid off from Amazon because my Sub company folded, I had to go to the Arbeitsamt. (German Doll Office)

Do i want to work for €1300 per month after tax and mandatory health care? No! So I chose that course.

That cost the Arbeitsamt €9500. I have no teacher, but i do have books and YouTube, I cant ask the mentors because it is too advanced for them. Suppose the free Coffee is good. Some bloody consolation prize i tell you.

After the rent is paid and the bills, im left with €300 to live on.

Jeehosophet!
Germany f*kked, Trump's America f*kked, Australia closed off, UK f*kked and brexiting. Where can we emigrate to once the S hits the fan?

Orbit v2

That depends on what time you are recalling: 1945? At that time the Red Army was no match for the US/UK combined force. The USSR was in a shambles...and they had no nukes either.
Early 1950's the Rooskies got their nukes and had managed to rebuild
1960s, Berlin wall, Cuban crisis... They could have taken West Berlin, no question about it -- but getting through the Fulda gap? I don't think your analysis applies to that time.
1970's ? Don't think so either... From the odd conversation I had with military people back then... Apart from West Berlin which was f**ked... the only people prepared to live there were the old Berliners and a massive Turkish population.
1980's ... Premier Brezhnev decided it was necessary to station his SS20 medium-range missiles in East Germany... why would he have done that if his tank regiments were so much on top of their game. You may recall that Carter/Regan responded with the stationing of Pershing 11 and Cruise missiles. But then what military commander is going to show is full hand before a war starts?
It was widely believed in the West (in the 80's) that NATO were totally outnumbered by the USSR in terms of conventional warfare.

I remember the Sunday Times used to publish these articles from time to time with elaborate "strategic balance" graphics of all the ordnance that was facing off against each other. The Russians had way more than NATO did in Europe and it was generally believed that NATO's job was to hold them back for a few days, after which the conflict was either stopped or went nuclear. The balance of nuclear missiles was much more delicate, because every new generation of technology had the potential to swing the balance one way or the other entirely, with first strike capabilities and the like.

McDave

. Not alone do you make stupid excuses for Merkels madness you conveniently turn a blind eye to corruption by Juncker and even justify it. I am not one bit concerned for Germany's problems, the far right parties will take care of that in the future thanks to her undemocratic decision which is causing mayhem in parts of her country. The silly cow now has realised that she got it wrong and has apologised to the German people. So your admiration for a fool is best summed up by quoting Flavirostris ie you are ''wilfully stupid and wilfully blind''.:laugh:
Don’t know why you’re so worked up about Merkel. Ultimately it’s internal German democratic politics, and not really your business. Not quite sure either why you’re so worked up about the Selmayr appointment.

You probably need lots of things to hate, out there on the extremist margins with your best friend, hard right loon flavirostris.

Shpake

Your pathetic attempt at trying to justify Merkels undemocratic decision shows how uneducated you are where politics and democracy are concerned.There was no legal obligation on her to allow these migrants in and rather than take the action she did to open the floodgates she should have closed the borders to Greece and Italy and given them all the help they need to send these people back to where they came from especially those without papers. Instead the clown made it be known that assistance would be given to all those making the crossing from Africa and voila the floodgates openedL You are one of those foolish people who believe the myths that '' I was in such a hurry to leave that I forgot my passport scam'' and of course you are very fast like the liberal lefy lackey that you are to call people names like Nazis if they dare to show a bit of patriotism and put their own people first, You probably delude yourself into thinking that multiculturalism has been a success in Europe when all the evidence points to the opposite and your herone Merkel has even admitted that she got it wrong but what good is closing the gate when the horse has bolted?
It's all the more striking when you consider that Merkel, at the beginning of her chancellorship stood up and made a speech about how Islamic integration was a failure. That must have been back in the noughties around 2006 once she replaced Schroeder. Despite her speech, migration steadily continued and of course in 2015 it sky-rocketted.
In and of itself I find it praiseworthy to grant refuge to those fleeing war. But there was an awful lot more going on behind the scenes in the Syrian migratory wave and to discern this a person must have:
a) Two eyes
b) A kind of an active brain
These long regiments of young marching males ... where were the grannies? where were the children? the sisters? the wives? did their menfolk actually leave them unprotected to face the invading armies? Stick them in the cellars and hope that the bombs and rockets didn't home in on them? Something mighty fishy there. In a war situation, everyone flees danger.

Those heart-rending photogenic images of mothers cradling their infants beside the barbed-wire border fencing out there on the Yugoslav and Hungarian borders.... Hollywood could find their match. Like, where were the violins? And (if I may pose an awkward question) did those long phalanxes of marching men take one or two women and children with them for the photo-op?
Well, know. The photographer singled them out for the photo-shot as this would chime with the guilt-evoking story destined for the glossies in the West.

Merkel's slogan of "We can manage it!" met with an enthusiastic beginning -- Maybe with the exception of Bavaria, the south eastern part which was left saddled and straddled with most of the refugees and couldn't cope... but once those young randy muslim males began showing up in the congregation and pinching and feeling the ladies bottoms, a certain misgiving filtered through the population.
Little by little, country by country, Europe began to realize that they were playing host not only to young males who had scarpered leaving their kin-folk behind, but also to people who had no will intention or ability to integrate.
The cost of trying to integrate them is another story.
What's really breath-taking is how each country seems to have to learn by itself that the Jihadis are using the generosity and patience of the host country to plan their wars and attacks. The gardai seem to have only recently cottoned on to this Jihadi family using Ireland as a collection and information hub for their Isis campaign.
I still recall the tearful face of this Swedish politicians asking of an asylum seeker bloke, how could he possibly have mowed down nine or ten Swedish pedestrians in his rental-truck after all that Sweden had done for him. Makes one wonder did he expect the fella to mow down Germans or French instead?
It's a sad fact. Each country expects to be immune from attack after having been so nice as to open its doors.

But to the nitty-gritty. I'm sure that Frau Merkel's decision was fully legal -- in Germany. Maybe not the wisest, mind you. But she unilaterally broke the accord whereby the first country of arrival is responsible for the asylum case and her obliging other European countries to take quotas is a cheek, especially when one considers that most are still in the throes of the Great financial crisis and it's the least well-off who must queue and compete for health, housing and education services. In a democracy the one with the financially well-lined pockets might have an equal vote, but has 1,000 times the influence and soft power.

McDave

It's all the more striking when you consider that Merkel, at the beginning of her chancellorship stood up and made a speech about how Islamic integration was a failure. That must have been back in the noughties around 2006 once she replaced Schroeder. Despite her speech, migration steadily continued and of course in 2015 it sky-rocketted.
In and of itself I find it praiseworthy to grant refuge to those fleeing war. But there was an awful lot more going on behind the scenes in the Syrian migratory wave and to discern this a person must have:
a) Two eyes
b) A kind of an active brain
These long regiments of young marching males ... where were the grannies? where were the children? the sisters? the wives? did their menfolk actually leave them unprotected to face the invading armies? Stick them in the cellars and hope that the bombs and rockets didn't home in on them? Something mighty fishy there. In a war situation, everyone flees danger.

Those heart-rending photogenic images of mothers cradling their infants beside the barbed-wire border fencing out there on the Yugoslav and Hungarian borders.... Hollywood could find their match. Like, where were the violins? And (if I may pose an awkward question) did those long phalanxes of marching men take one or two women and children with them for the photo-op?
Well, know. The photographer singled them out for the photo-shot as this would chime with the guilt-evoking story destined for the glossies in the West.

Merkel's slogan of "We can manage it!" met with an enthusiastic beginning -- Maybe with the exception of Bavaria, the south eastern part which was left saddled and straddled with most of the refugees and couldn't cope... but once those young randy muslim males began showing up in the congregation and pinching and feeling the ladies bottoms, a certain misgiving filtered through the population.
Little by little, country by country, Europe began to realize that they were playing host not only to young males who had scarpered leaving their kin-folk behind, but also to people who had no will intention or ability to integrate.
The cost of trying to integrate them is another story.
What's really breath-taking is how each country seems to have to learn by itself that the Jihadis are using the generosity and patience of the host country to plan their wars and attacks. The gardai seem to have only recently cottoned on to this Jihadi family using Ireland as a collection and information hub for their Isis campaign.
I still recall the tearful face of this Swedish politicians asking of an asylum seeker bloke, how could he possibly have mowed down nine or ten Swedish pedestrians in his rental-truck after all that Sweden had done for him. Makes one wonder did he expect the fella to mow down Germans or French instead?
It's a sad fact. Each country expects to be immune from attack after having been so nice as to open its doors.

But to the nitty-gritty. I'm sure that Frau Merkel's decision was fully legal -- in Germany. Maybe not the wisest, mind you. But she unilaterally broke the accord whereby the first country of arrival is responsible for the asylum case and her obliging other European countries to take quotas is a cheek, especially when one considers that most are still in the throes of the Great financial crisis and it's the least well-off who must queue and compete for health, housing and education services. In a democracy the one with the financially well-lined pockets might have an equal vote, but has 1,000 times the influence and soft power.
I’d agree with a lot of this post. One of my favourite Merkel lines was about the failure of the multi-kulti society. I agree. European countries are not melting pots like the US.

Taking in the Syrian migrants was an about turn. Having said that, if there’s any Arab state with a relatively civilised, urban outlook, it’s Syria. And in a funny way, when this all settles down, there will be a lot of goodwill towards Germany in Syria. It will come at a cost though. There’s only so much ‘integration’ any country can take, and Germany is beyond the threshold. To that extent, Merkel’s gamble failed. The elevation of AKK is an attempt to retrieve some lost ground.

There’s one point I’d disagree on. The ‘breach’ of the Dublin accord was a voluntary suspension to permit migrants into Germany, not to push them elsewhere. To that extent it was an act of good faith. Of course, the migrants had to tramp through countries to get to Germany. But the pressure valve in Greece was huge, and the migration could have happened ‘unchaperoned’ anyway. Greece was threatening to release droves from camps there.

ScoobyDoo

Which Britain do they not recognise?

The one full of citizens from all ends of the Roman Empire

The one invaded and settled by the Irish in the north

The one invaded settled by the Dutch and Germans

The one invaded and settled by the Vikings

The one invaded and settled by the French descendants of Vikings

The one that used Polish immigrants to fight fascism ?

Probably the last one, when immigrants coming to Britain came to offer something instead of gaming the system?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies