Lowry attacks Moriarty Tribunal

Aristodemus

The word chutzpah hardly covers the arrogance of this individual. He has just released a "lengthy" statement attacking the tribunal and claiming that his "reputation and character are under threat".
This tax cheat, mountebank and fraud is the reason this tribunal was set up. I have no doubt that any findings by the tribunal will be adverse for Lowry which is why he is getting his retaliation in now.

Sierra

What is really worrying is the fact that Lowry has had the highest share of first preferences in the last three general elections in Tipperary North. Should be interesting to see how Lowry performs in the next election if the Tribunal hits out at his behavior . . .but I fear the electorate will brush the facts aside. That is assuming he runs in the next election, which is certainly no certainty.

Vega1447

The word chutzpah hardly covers the arrogance of this individual. He has just released a "lengthy" statement attacking the tribunal and claiming that his "reputation and character are under threat".
This tax cheat, mountebank and fraud is the reason this tribunal was set up. I have no doubt that any findings by the tribunal will be adverse for Lowry which is why he is getting his retaliation in now.
While the Haiti earthquake is a tragedy (the whole country is a disaster, even before the quake) it did give Denis O'Brien a chance to get some brownie points before the tribunal reports.

And no, I'm not impressed by billionaire non tax-payers throwing a few million to the poor.

Remember how he made his helo available to the Special Olympics....

Sierra

While the Haiti earthquake is a tragedy (the whole country is a disaster, even before the quake) it did give Denis O'Brien a chance to get some brownie points before the tribunal reports.
Also gives him a very good chance in getting his second leg into Haiti to re-build their telecommunications network - what a perfect opportunity, and only a stones throw from his current Empire in Jamaica! I suspect O'Brien has his own interests at heart at the moment.

Aristodemus

What is really worrying is the fact that Lowry has had the highest share of first preferences in the last three general elections in Tipperary North. Should be interesting to see how Lowry performs in the next election if the Tribunal hits out at his behavior . . .but I fear the electorate will brush the facts aside. That is assuming he runs in the next election, which is certainly no certainty.
That is one of the most sickening things about this whole saga. Whilst one might expect the locals to circle the wagons in defence of a local man at an election the people of North Tipperary have taken this much further and returned this person as a poll topper in every election. The shame is theirs

cricket

Lowry may not run in the next GE in Tipp, but the son certainly will.

reknaw

That is one of the most sickening things about this whole saga. Whilst one might expect the locals to circle the wagons in defence of a local man at an election the people of North Tipperary have taken this much further and returned this person as a poll topper in every election. The shame is theirs
I guess most of them know in their hearts and souls he's a crook, but think: "Aren't they all! At least he's our crook.":lol::lol::lol:

Aristodemus

I guess most of them know in their hearts and souls he's a crook, but think: "Aren't they all! At least he's our crook.":lol::lol::lol:
That's not good enough. Depending on the final findings of this tribunal it could open this State to a massive compensation claim running into billions.

MPB

The only way to stop people from acting in their own best interests by voting for a candidate that has been on the take is to ban the said candidate from standing for elected office in the first place.

If we were a proper country with proper standards, someone like O, Leary would be prevented from standing in an election along with a good few more gombeen crooks.

Sierra

Whats worse is the fact that four "independent" councilors in North Tipperary are part of "Lowry's Team" . . .

Baron von Biffo

And he gave an interview to Ursula "Have you a cat" Halligan. There's brave.

jmcc

I suppose that Lowry's biggest problem was that he was ethically Fianna Fail. But when the decision to give the licence to O'Brien was made, he was Fine Gael.

Regards...jmcc

stonethrower

Well since I come from North Tipp, not quite from Lowry country but in an area where he has strong support, the Moriarty report will have no impact. In fact if report and Dublin media attack him strongly and there is an election soon....his vote will go up. "He is one of our own and we look after our own" will be the attitude.

I wasn't a Lowry fan before 1995 and not since, but the reason for his big vote in 1997, 2004 and 2009 is very simple. Most people in Tipp don't care about the tribunal, it is as far removed as horrible events in Haiti. Lowry delivers on the ground....and of course there is also the perception that he delivers....even when he doesn't. In fact since the demise of FF big beasts O'Kennedy and Smith in North Tipp, Lowry has been natural home for many FF-lite supporters.

He is an amazing constituency worker. Even his detractors acknowledge that. Last year I emailed all North Tipp TDs on behalf of my mother, Lowry responded within hours with a very personal response saying that he would follow it up and he did. Others were slow to come back and one a struggling former junior Minister, didn't even respond.

I thought he might suffer in the 2009 locals as he is supporting the Government. Not a bit of it, ironically he soaked up a lot of anti-FF and anti-Govt vote. His local team and number of councillors is growing, he now has 4....and local election vote for Lowry Independents went up.

He claims credit for every Government grant and initiative (part of my deal) while lashing Govt when it suits.

So all in all, report and contents thereof and damning editorials from Irish Times, won't worry Lowry from an electoral point of view.

Newsy

I saw him on tv3 news. He looked worried and MAD. Oh, well......aren't we all mad, but for different reasons.....:(

MsAnneThrope

Well since I come from North Tipp, not quite from Lowry country but in an area where he has strong support, the Moriarty report will have no impact. In fact if report and Dublin media attack him strongly and there is an election soon....his vote will go up. "He is one of our own and we look after our own" will be the attitude.

I wasn't a Lowry fan before 1995 and not since, but the reason for his big vote in 1997, 2004 and 2009 is very simple. Most people in Tipp don't care about the tribunal, it is as far removed as horrible events in Haiti. Lowry delivers on the ground....and of course there is also the perception that he delivers....even when he doesn't. In fact since the demise of FF big beasts O'Kennedy and Smith in North Tipp, Lowry has been natural home for many FF-lite supporters.

He is an amazing constituency worker. Even his detractors acknowledge that. Last year I emailed all North Tipp TDs on behalf of my mother, Lowry responded within hours with a very personal response saying that he would follow it up and he did. Others were slow to come back and one a struggling former junior Minister, didn't even respond.

I thought he might suffer in the 2009 locals as he is supporting the Government. Not a bit of it, ironically he soaked up a lot of anti-FF and anti-Govt vote. His local team and number of councillors is growing, he now has 4....and local election vote for Lowry Independents went up.

He claims credit for every Government grant and initiative (part of my deal) while lashing Govt when it suits.

So all in all, report and contents thereof and damning editorials from Irish Times, won't worry Lowry from an electoral point of view.
Not knocking you Stonethrower (a very well written post) but the same people will be crying on Joe Duffy's LiveLine, wailing on Pat Kenny's Frontline, bawling at Eamon Keane, and other media outlets, over the fact that children's allowance for de babby is getting cut, to give just one example.

Your excellent post is a sad reflection of the small-minded, parochial gombeenery that exists in Ireland today. I also think John O'Donoghue and Willie O'Dea will have increased votes in any future election. Now, when is that Branson flight to the moon again?

MPB

Not knocking you Stonethrower (a very well written post) but the same people will be crying on Joe Duffy's LiveLine, wailing on Pat Kenny's Frontline, bawling at Eamon Keane, and other media outlets, over the fact that children's allowance for de babby is getting cut, to give just one example.

Your excellent post is a sad reflection of the small-minded, parochial gombeenery that exists in Ireland today. I also think John O'Donoghue and Willie O'Dea will have increased votes in any future election. Now, when is that Branson flight to the moon again?
Exactly the reason why, after having been found to have received monies from Ben Dunne he should have been sacked as a TD and banned from standing for election to political office for life.

That is the only way you will stop people from electing him.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies