• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Loyal orders contribute £15m per year to NI economy

Schomberg

Well, well, well...

Loyal Orders and Protestant marching bands generate almost £55 million in economic and social benefits for Northern Ireland each year, new research has found. Parades 'provide financial benefit' - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk

Loyal orders and their bands contribute £15m to the Northern Ireland economy annually, a new report suggests.

The figure included spending on regalia, uniforms, instruments, bus hire and other services.

The report put the value of provision of facilities, community and volunteer work as well as fundraising for charities at an additional £39m a year.

The report was compiled for the Department for Social Development by RSM McClure Watters.

The cost of policing Northern Ireland parades last summer was estimated to be £7.4m.
BBC News - Loyal orders' economic impact in Northern Ireland '£15m per year'

Not much to say, the figures surprise even me...

Last edited:

between the bridges

Total economic footprint for OO/Bands etc..of £54.04m per annum.

Ps feck ye schom I was waiting until I could link to the report!!

InsideImDancing

...GAA contributes 6 billion etc...

Schomberg

InsideImDancing

between the bridges

Valerie Quinn, chairperson of the Confederation of Ulster Bands described the estimated 660 marching bands as "custodians of a unique culture providing a platform for supreme musical talent".

"While the economic impact of such a large community is clear for all to see, the wider benefits of band membership to our society cannot be underestimated, particularly in its guise as one of the largest social movements in Europe," she commented.

"Like the Loyal Orders, marching bands are renowned for their charity work and community activities. They also provide an outlet for members - many of whom are young people - to learn and develop new skills and avail of expert training."
Jenny Irwin, Managing Director of RSM McClure Watters, who carried out the research, said they were struck by the level of voluntary and charitable work carried out by members.

"Also the culture of helping others without seeking any PR or recognition for doing so," she added
Loyal Orders contribute £55m to economy - UTV Live News

InsideImDancing

Just Jack

The perennial damage they do to community relations is beyond material measure.

between the bridges

Yeah IID positive news about the OO and bands will not go down well on this site but surely that says more about those using it than the actual news, mind you your wee childish strop says...

Just Jack

I'l give you a fiver for it now run along...
Thanks. I’ll take that fiver and go get some candy at the local shops. Don’t worry I’ll be sure to march along the traditional route along the way, just to get it up the Fenians.

InsideImDancing

Yeah IID positive news about the OO and bands will not go down well on this site but surely that says more about those using it than the actual news, mind you your wee childish strop says...
You want respect for the OO but want to cry your eyes out about the GAA and you can't even respect the Irish language.

Frosty1

Can't there not be threads on other interesting stuff like history of Northern Ireland instead of the Orange order? Nearly every thread is about them and its getting boring.

I could care less how much money they invest or contribute.

between the bridges

You want respect for the OO but want to cry your eyes out about the GAA and you can't even respect the Irish language.
ever notice my sig...where's that smiley handpalm when one needs it...

between the bridges

Thanks. I’ll take that fiver and go get some candy at the local shops. Don’t worry I’ll be sure to march along the traditional route along the way, just to get it up the Fenians.
Of 2400 PUL parades annually 130 receive objections, one could say we do a rather poor job of 'just to get it up the Fenians', perhaps it's more a case of 'just the Fenian's get up themselves'...

InsideImDancing

ever notice my sig...where's that smiley handpalm when one needs it...
you are on the other thread backing up the bigotry with Schom and DT ffs, you've done it in the past too.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies