• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Loyalist gets life for sectarian murder

Global Justice

theloner

I really do fear for the lack of restraint that will no doubt be shown on this thread.

between the bridges

Glad to see it, as the judge said
"A decent society requires that anyone who commits such a dastardly act should be required to answer for that crime in a court of law."
indeed hopefully someday we will be a decent society were all murderers are brought to justice...

Global Justice

between the bridges

Isn't there somewhere else you can vent your homophobia?
Indeed there is but my 'down with this sort of thing' sign only gets an annual outing...

C

Castle Ray

Does this murderer get out after a few years because of the early release scheme which was part of the Belfast Agreement??

between the bridges

Does this murderer get out after a few years because of the early release scheme which was part of the Belfast Agreement??
Unfortunately yes i would assume so, Afaik if it was a 'political' crime prior to GFA...

DavidCaldwell

I would prefer it if he did not get early release and spent the rest of his life in jail.

SgtBilko

I would prefer it if he did not get early release and spent the rest of his life in jail.
Contrast the responses of PUL posters on this thread with the CNNIR posters, on a parallel thread, clambering over themselves in disbelief that a convicted serial killer is capable of shooting a teenager in the legs.

It speaks volumes.

DavidCaldwell

Like yourself sir, lets hope not.
I presume you agree with the principle of equality before the law - that the law applies equally to all people.

Would it be fair to conclude, then, that you would support the conviction and full-term imprisonment of all people guilty of similar murders?

theloner

I presume you agree with the principle of equality before the law - that the law applies equally to all people.

Would it be fair to conclude, then, that you would support the conviction and full-term imprisonment of all people guilty of similar murders?
Although an opponent of the GFA, it was democratically validated by the people north of the border. Cherry picking isn't allowed, there are many aspects of it I despise, just as you do.

Mickeymac

Wakey Wakey, Mr Kelly has not been charged with any crime, please get your facts right, especially in judicial matters.

If you wish to discuss murders or murderers I suggest you open a thread on the subject........got it?

DavidCaldwell

Although an opponent of the GFA, it was democratically validated by the people north of the border. Cherry picking isn't allowed, there are many aspects of it I despise, just as you do.
I accept the GFA and accept that there will be early release. However, I can still express my wish that such a murder is properly punished.

My question to MickeyMac was simply to encourage him along the path of consistency. However, if it wasn't for the provisions of the GFA, this is one area where such consistency would be more painful for the CNR side than the PUL side. We, the commentators from the PUL side, would in general have happily seen the Loyalist paramilitaries remain in jail.

I leave you to decide which of the two explanations below is the most likely
- we PUL commentators are a treacherous bunch, abandoning the people who acted on our behalf;
- the Loyalist paramilitaries were not acting on our behalf (though they might have believed they were); we condemn the killings they carried out and believe that the conflict would have been much shorter without them.

DavidCaldwell

Wakey Wakey, Mr Kelly has not been charged with any crime, please get your facts right, especially in judicial matters.

If you wish to discuss murders or murderers I suggest you open a thread on the subject........got it?
I am not talking about Mr Kelly - just suggesting that we agree on a basic principle. I have no intention of trying here to make any specific application of such a principle - we are all intelligent enough to do this ourselves.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies