• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Loyalists do their thing in North Belfast again.

Figaroni

It is claimed the band played a sectarian song within the restriction zone imposed by the Parades Commission. Frank Dempsey chair of Carrick Hill Concerned Residents' Group said he was "deeply, deeply concerned"."This was supposed to be a Remembrance Day service with sacred hymns being played and what did we have? A determination again smashed.

"We had the Famine song being played going past Carrick Hill, we had supporters following the bands," he said
Apprentice Boys march past city church - UTV Live News

Sinn Féin MLA Carál Ní Chuilín has condemned the breaching of the Parades Commission determination.

The North Belfast MLA said: “The Apprentice Boys, Parades Commission, PSNI and unionist politicians need to come out clearly and condemn this blatantly sectarian and provocative action by the Dunmurry Protestant Boys band who played the sectarian Famine Song during the march. They also need to take action against the band.

“Residents entered into discussions with the Apprentice Boys prior to the march in good faith. But the Apprentice Boys cannot think that they will enter into these discussions just to get a favourable determination by the Parades Commission.

According to Jim Mc Dowell in today's Sunday World, The Apprentice boys have apologised to local residents and banned Dunmurry Protestant Boys from future parades.

These bigots just can't help themselves.
North Belfast MLA Nelson McCausland hasn't said anything.

death or glory

"There was some talk of things further up the road but I think it was specifically noted that going past the church there seemed to have been an instruction given for a single drum beat.

"I think that has to be interpreted as a positive gesture, and also the number of people on the demonstration is also a gesture, and I think those gestures have been brought about by dialogue between the Apprentice Boys and the residents," added Fr Sheehan.

I believe you were less worried about the bombs being stored in Dunloy chapel grounds, which to any reasonable pperson woulld be a lot more worrying.
try reading the Article.
What about no restrictions being placed on republican parade going past Prod church in Dungiven. It shows double standards by Republicans and the parades comission.

Glaucon

There has to be an element of realism involved here. These bands are repositories for deeply sectarian underachievers. However, in a free society, that, in and of itself is not a crime.

I don't think the Orange Order or their bands should be marching through a Catholic community anywhere, however as I understand it, this is one church along a route where there aren't any Catholic residences per se. As such, it's best to let them crack on. There's evidently no way these individuals can restrain themselves for engaging in sectarian thuggery (despite the appeals of their leaders, and their churches - if they do go to Church, which I doubt), so instead of filming and complaining about it each time it happens (for we're starting to lose count at this stage), I'd suggest simply ignoring it - unless of course there's a physical attack on people or property.

The Loyal Order bands are not getting down the Garvaghy Road again and they'll soon be banned from Ardoyne. What they do in their own communities is their business, even if there's a Catholic Church or two along the way.

Figaroni

"There was some talk of things further up the road but I think it was specifically noted that going past the church there seemed to have been an instruction given for a single drum beat.

"I think that has to be interpreted as a positive gesture, and also the number of people on the demonstration is also a gesture, and I think those gestures have been brought about by dialogue between the Apprentice Boys and the residents," added Fr Sheehan.

I believe you were less worried about the bombs being stored in Dunloy chapel grounds, which to any reasonable pperson woulld be a lot more worrying.
try reading the Article.
What about no restrictions being placed on republican parade going past Prod church in Dungiven. It shows double standards by Republicans and the parades comission.
Do you support the Dunmurry Loyalists doing what they did?

death or glory

What did the Dunmuurry loyalists do. An independant link would be required.

death or glory

Apart from yuour bitter discription, I 'm glad you agree with the sense of realism that I hope your republican friend will come to accept it.

There has to be an element of realism involved here. These bands are repositories for deeply sectarian underachievers. However, in a free society, that, in and of itself is not a crime.

I don't think the Orange Order or their bands should be marching through a Catholic community anywhere, however as I understand it, this is one church along a route where there aren't any Catholic residences per se. As such, it's best to let them crack on. There's evidently no way these individuals can restrain themselves for engaging in sectarian thuggery (despite the appeals of their leaders, and their churches - if they do go to Church, which I doubt), so instead of filming and complaining about it each time it happens (for we're starting to lose count at this stage), I'd suggest simply ignoring it - unless of course there's a physical attack on people or property.

The Loyal Order bands are not getting down the Garvaghy Road again and they'll soon be banned from Ardoyne. What they do in their own communities is their business, even if there's a Catholic Church or two along the way.

oboe

So what has 'the Famine Song' got to do with remembering the war dead?

Figaroni

What did the Dunmuurry loyalists do. An independant link would be required.
Played the Famine song to wind up Carrick Hill residents.
The Sunday world are reporting that assembly speaker Willie Hay has said "an apology has been issued over the antics of the now banned band."

Wear your sectarianism with pride.

Glenshane4

death or glory;6009619 What about no restrictions being placed on republican parade going past Prod church in Dungiven. It shows double standards by Republicans and the parades comission.[/QUOTE said:
How many Prods are living in Dungiven? Compare like with like. And please leave it to Catholics to decide what annoys us and what does not annoy us.

Figaroni

Originally Posted by Glaucon
Apart from yuour bitter discription, I 'm glad you agree with the sense of realism that I hope your republican friend will come to accept it.
OK
Do you support what the Dunmurry loyalists did yesterday? (For the second time)

longmarch

Is there evidence to support what the residents group are saying? Is there anything to be reported as a breach to the PC?

If what's being reported is backed up and proven then the band have let everyone down and should be banned from parading with the ABOD ever again. If I'm reading this thread right it appears this might be happening.

fitzroyalty

If the aforementioned is true it is part of an emerging trend of loyalist bands engaging in sectarianism under the cloak of 'protest' against the PC. As pathetic and immature as it is they aren't doing themselves, nor the loyal orders, any favours; so in the long run they may reap what they sow and find themselves looking for another road to misbehave on.

C

Castle Ray

Where exactly was this supposedly sectarian song played and was it in a place where music restrictions by the PC were in place?

Mickeymac

A total ban on these coat trailing hate parades is the only answer to this problem.

For heavens sake, they would not be allowed to happen anywhere else.

Figaroni

Is there evidence to support what the residents group are saying? Is there anything to be reported as a breach to the PC?

If what's being reported is backed up and proven then the band have let everyone down and should be banned from parading with the ABOD ever again. If I'm reading this thread right it appears this might be happening.
"Derry MLA Willie Hay told us: "We have a very strict code within the Apprentice boys that if any band steps out of line they will be dealt with very severely within the organisation.
We have proved this in the past. My understanding is that this has already happened with one band in Belfast."
Another senior member told us that the organisation's own marshals had noted that the Dunmurry Protestant band stopped playing hymns before the agreed cut off point at bridge over the Westlink in Clifton Street on their way through Carlisle Circus.
The band started playing "the Sloop John b - otherwise known as "The Famine Song" as soon as they got through the North Queen Street junction just 40 metres from the gates of St Patricks church.
The senior Apprentice Boys source said: " That was reported to us. that band will be banned from immediate effect."
Sunday World.

Give them enough rope................

SgtBilko

It is claimed the band played a sectarian song within the restriction zone imposed by the Parades Commission. Frank Dempsey chair of Carrick Hill Concerned Residents' Group said he was "deeply, deeply concerned"."This was supposed to be a Remembrance Day service with sacred hymns being played and what did we have? A determination again smashed.

"We had the Famine song being played going past Carrick Hill, we had supporters following the bands," he said
Apprentice Boys march past city church - UTV Live News

Sinn Féin MLA Carál Ní Chuilín has condemned the breaching of the Parades Commission determination.

The North Belfast MLA said: “The Apprentice Boys, Parades Commission, PSNI and unionist politicians need to come out clearly and condemn this blatantly sectarian and provocative action by the Dunmurry Protestant Boys band who played the sectarian Famine Song during the march. They also need to take action against the band.

“Residents entered into discussions with the Apprentice Boys prior to the march in good faith. But the Apprentice Boys cannot think that they will enter into these discussions just to get a favourable determination by the Parades Commission.

According to Jim Mc Dowell in today's Sunday World, The Apprentice boys have apologised to local residents and banned Dunmurry Protestant Boys from future parades.

These bigots just can't help themselves.
North Belfast MLA Nelson McCausland hasn't said anything.
Pfffft...call yourself a Republican? You choose today to start a thread about bands playing music? You're rubbish at this, aren't you? Every Republican worth his salt knows November is to be used for gurning about poppies....not bands.

Get with the program ffs...

Jan thru to May ....gurn about Norn Iron having it's own football team.
June/July/August ...gurn about the Orange Order and parades.
Sept/Oct/Nov .....gurn about little red flowers.
Dec....have a month off gurning.

Mickeymac

Pfffft...call yourself a Republican? You choose today to start a thread about bands playing music? You're rubbish at this, aren't you? Every Republican worth his salt knows November is to be used for gurning about poppies....not bands.

If there was no pub team posing as a 'National' side, no sectarian coat trailing parades, the poppy fascist debacle.............what would you talk about on this forum?

Figaroni

Thank god Catholics get a December break from the bigots, eh?
The Loyal Orders are so generous I'll get a mass said for them.
Do you support what the Dunmurry Protestant Boys did in Belfast yesterday?