• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Lucinda Creighton's Insufferable Rant

DOD

Did anyone here see Lucinda Creighton's insufferable rant in the Sindo? She whinges about how SF are given "too much attention for a small party". She also rants about how people are afraid to be controversial, this coming from a shagging blueshirt? Oh and my favourite, citing Thatcher as a hero of hers. The woman who tried to destroy the trade union movement in Britain. (We'll leave out the hunger strike bit since she clearly sees the men as terrorists so wouldn't see anything wrong with that)

If ever we needed proof of the need for SF it is this pathetic diatribe. People like Creighton don't care about stopping inequality, they thrive on it. They want to move the establishment even further to the right. We need to organise a strong left-wing alternative to the ultra-right economic philosophy of people like Creighton.

geraghd

DOD said:
Did anyone here see Lucinda Creighton's insufferable rant in the Sindo? She whinges about how SF are given "too much attention for a small party". She also rants about how people are afraid to be controversial, this coming from a shagging blueshirt? Oh and my favourite, citing Thatcher as a hero of hers. The woman who tried to destroy the trade union movement in Britain. (We'll leave out the hunger strike bit since she clearly sees the men as terrorists so wouldn't see anything wrong with that)

If ever we needed proof of the need for SF it is this pathetic diatribe. People like Creighton don't care about stopping inequality, they thrive on it. They want to move the establishment even further to the right. We need to organise a strong left-wing alternative to the ultra-right economic philosophy of people like Creighton.
Go Lucinda, go Lucinda, go Lucinda, GO, GO!

And ultra-right economic philosophy? Wow, Id hate to see your definition of ultra-left...

AndrewM

Website
www.greenparty.ie
Why wouldn't she admire Thatcher? She is a very successful politician who left a great mark on British history. Yes, she angered a certain sector of British life, but what great leader hasn't been controversial? Just because Thatcher isn't to your liking doesn't mean anyone who does like her should be respected.

As for the attention given to SF, yes it is over the top, and it hurts the PP. Adams and co. are on the news all the time, in the papers, interviewed etc. and they realise a successful conclusion to NI will reduce their media exposure.

And before anyone says anything, yes, I am jeolous. The Greens have more policies and the issues we discuss are far more relevent then those discussed the SF.

There, there's my rant and I aint taking it back.

iceman

Can somebody post a link to this story? And before anyone asks, no i will not buy that Fcuking rag.

agora

Website
www.doonesbury.com
My own dislike of SF/IRA aside, it was somewhat amusing to read Cretin's comments about them getting too much attention for a small party after having previously read Eoghan Harris's column extolling the PDs as the only party in touch with the opinions of Middle Ireland. If one was unaware of the polling numbers of the PDs and used Indo articles as a guide to the standing of parties, one would get the impression that they were the largest party in the country.

DOD

AndrewM said:
. The Greens have more policies and the issues we discuss are far more relevent then those discussed the SF.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

meriwether

DOD said:

Having read the article in question, I can categorically vouch that this highlighted post is nutter nonsense.
DOD has written an inaccurate post, based on emotive words to paint someone in a bad light ("whinges" "rants", etc), and then follows it up with a paragraph that is grounded more in his own particular political bias, than any reality, or fact derived from reading the interview (the "stopping inequality" nonsense in particular).

Jim84

meriwether said:
Having read the article in question, I can categorically vouch that this highlighted post is nutter nonsense.
DOD has written an inaccurate post, based on emotive words to paint someone in a bad light ("whinges" "rants", etc), and then follows it up with a paragraph that is grounded more in his own particular political bias, than any reality, or fact derived from reading the interview (the "stopping inequality" nonsense in particular).
You should know by now that you can't take post on this site literally. Will all come with our political bias to everything.

The Sindo was a puff piece. It told us nothing, other than how great Suhaila Kassim thinks Lucinda is. I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out she was a friend of her, or some other connection.

FutureTaoiseach

Website
greatdearleader.blogspot.com
DOD said:

I can't find these comments by her on the Sindo site. Link please?

Gael

DOD said:

Anyone stupid enough to buy that rag shouldn't be surprised when they don't like that they read.

geraghd

meriwether said:
DOD said:

Yeah, I just read it myself, and it was an interview, DOD made it sound like some sort of opinion piece. And Lucinda distinctly said she like admired Thatcher for her tough charachter and determination not necessarily for her policies.
This is sounding very TK-esque.

Pax

Jim84 said:
http://www.politics.ie/forum/viewtopic.php?p=253718&highlight=#253718

It's okay ... se can rant all she likes. She isn't going to be elected.
Not exactly comforting listening for labourites. And if the rest of FG start "talking Thatcher" they could be heading for a 2002 repeat. There's the CDU learning the hard lessons recently and now trying to ostracise themselves from Thatcher style inequality pushing policies and what are their Irish counterparts doing? Don't ask...

geraghd

Pax said:
Jim84 said:

Not exactly comforting listening for labourites. And if the rest of FG start "talking Thatcher" they could be heading for a 2002 repeat. There's the CDU learning the hard lessons recently and now trying to ostracise themselves from Thatcher style inequality pushing policies and what are their Irish counterparts doing? Don't ask...
OMG, did you read the article?

Pax

geraghd said:
Pax said:
Jim84 said:

OMG, did you read the article?
Here's the segment
""Politics lacks people who are prepared to take controversial positions, who fight for their beliefs." She feels frustrated that Irish politics is so much based on consensus. "Other politicians and the people I meet while canvassing who want to make a difference in various issues drive me to work hard at my job."

The former Taoiseach, John Bruton, is the man who most inspires Lucinda Creighton. "He is completely driven by his convictions and has contributed a lot to European policy."

The controversial Margaret Thatcher is also another icon for whom she has huge respect. "She defied the odds to become the first woman Prime Minister of Britain. Although I would not agree with everything she did in her time, I find her a woman of soliddetermination." "

As Jim84 has alerted to as regards political bias, is it any wonder DOD's reaction to even mentioning Thatcher and Bruton?

mjcoughlan

Website
www.bebo.com
DOD said:
MARRvellous!

AndrewM

Website
www.greenparty.ie
DOD said:

Having just read the article [Granny was over for Sunday lunch and she likes the Sindo, proof that only the senile read it], I've come to the conclusion that this is just another case of SF climbing up on the cross and acting as if the whole world is obsessed with them. Her comments were a small part of a large interview with the councillor. It was not an anti-SF opinion piece.

What amazes me is that you ahve two groups of people with opposing, set views. Now, you think that this would lead to an excellent debate of policies and ideas. Instead, jeolousy hatred and a desperate media have given us a piss poor mudslinging competition.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies