• Before posting anything about COVID-19, READ THIS FIRST! COVID-19 and Misinformation (UPDATED)
    Misinformation and/or conspiracy theories about this topic, even if intended as humor, will not be tolerated!

lostexpectation

Website
dublinstreams.blogspot.com
That article (from Feb 2015) states the following:
The U.K. is due have its slaughter facilities undergo the USDA food safety standard audit within the next few months.

Given that Ireland is still the only EU country to have passed the USDA inspection audit, presumably the Brits failed that test.
seems like they take there time.

PC Principle

You can't dismiss Science.
I didn't. And I won't.

Show me some science then.

Left-wing loons with their silly ideologies isn't science.

Wascurito

I didn't. And I won't.

Show me some science then.

Left-wing loons with their silly ideologies isn't science.
"[N]ew research published in the journal PNAS combines the [dietary and environmental] perspectives to show that the widespread adoption of vegetarian and vegan diets could save millions of lives and trillion of dollars. "There is huge potential," says study author Marco Springmann, a researcher at Oxford University, "from a health perspective, an environmental perspective and an economic perspective, really."

How a Vegetarian Diet Could Help Save the Planet | Time.com

PC Principle

"[N]ew research published in the journal PNAS combines the [dietary and environmental] perspectives to show that the widespread adoption of vegetarian and vegan diets could save millions of lives and trillion of dollars. "There is huge potential," says study author Marco Springmann, a researcher at Oxford University, "from a health perspective, an environmental perspective and an economic perspective, really."

How a Vegetarian Diet Could Help Save the Planet | Time.com
None of that proves meat is on the way out in the future.

Man will always eat meat. And meat will always be around.

Here's your quote:

"Actually, in the long term, beef and meat-eating in general is on the way out. The planet can't support it. Enjoy it while it lasts.".

Wascurito

None of that proves meat is on the way out in the future.

Man will always eat meat. And meat will always be around.

Here's your quote:

"Actually, in the long term, beef and meat-eating in general is on the way out. The planet can't support it. Enjoy it while it lasts.".
Indeed - the crucial point being "in general". I'm making a scientific point, you're making a sociological/behavioral one.

Can I take it that you accept the Science and that your argument is that small amounts of meat will continue to be eaten?

PC Principle

Indeed - the crucial point being "in general". I'm making a scientific point, you're making a sociological/behavioral one.

Can I take it that you accept the Science and that your argument is that small amounts of meat will continue to be eaten?
No!

Large amounts of meat will always be eaten.

And the meat industry will be bigger than ever in the future.

You are hiding behind the science that says meat eating harms the environment to attempt to prove the industry is dying.

It's not. And won't.

Wascurito

No!

Large amounts of meat will always be eaten.

And the meat industry will be bigger than ever in the future.
Meat requires lots of land. There's only a fixed amount of land and a rapdily increasing number of people. It's not complicated.

Wascurito

PC Principle

Meat requires lots of land. There's only a fixed amount of land and a rapdily increasing number of people. It's not complicated.
Every man woman and child would fit side by side on the Isle Of Wight.

I think we are ok for the next few million years.

It's not complicated.

Wascurito

Every man woman and child would fit side by side on the Isle Of Wight.

It's not complicated.
My point is about what people eat, not about how they stand.

I notice that you live in a large city. Do you understand that meat production involves huge amounts of land being used to produce food to feed animals that are then killed to provide food for humans?

An alternative would be using that land directly to produce food for humans. That would be far more efficient.

PC Principle

I notice that you live in a large city. Do you understand that meat production involves huge amounts of land being used to produce food to feed animals that are then killed to provide food for humans?

An alternative would be using that land directly to produce food for humans. That would be far more efficient.
Man kind has and always will find a way.

And we are very very far from any crises.

We have plenty of resources.

Peak oil was supposed to be back in the eighties too.

Remember that?

Lots of drama about nothing. Just people with agendas pushing ideology. Mainly vegans and veggies when it comes to this matter.

T

Toowoomba

PC Principle;11269107[B said:
]Every man woman and child would fit side by side on the Isle Of Wight.[/B]

It's not complicated.

Not if the Yanks turned up. :cool:

I first visited the US in 1981 and was shocked at the obesity levels, particularly among the ladies.

I visited Disney Florida in May and was shocked at the number of obese people riding around on mobility scooters.

Wascurito

Man kind has and always will find a way.

And we are very very far from any crises.

We have plenty of resources.

Peak oil was supposed to be back in the eighties too.

Remember that?

Lots of drama about nothing. Just people with agendas pushing ideology. Mainly vegans and veggies when it comes to this matter.
Hmmm. What's the ETA on "peak land"? :lol:

Have US friends staying beside me for the summer, they take an incredible cocktail of stuff for various ailments.
They put it down to the pile it high sell it cheap garbage that has been fed to people in the US for decades where cost not quality is what was required and the High fructose corn syrup and other frankenstein food.
They shocked that in a normal week I might take 2 paracetemol.
Currently they love going through the supermrket ready meals and the sheer variety is way ahead of anything they could get when they lived in the US.

EUrJokingMeRight

Have US friends staying beside me for the summer, they take an incredible cocktail of stuff for various ailments.
They put it down to the pile it high sell it cheap garbage that has been fed to people in the US for decades where cost not quality is what was required and the High fructose corn syrup and other frankenstein food.
Currently they love going through the supermrket ready meals and the sheer variety is way ahead of anything they could get when they lived in the US.
Let food be thy medicine. Eat crap, die young.

Wascurito

That might explain why Americans - who used to be far taller than Europeans - are now falling behind in terms of stature.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/...r-countries-elevate-but-u-s-stature-tops-off/
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/apr/08/scientists-try-to-answer-why-dutch-people-are-so-tall
Europeans are taller than Americans | Atlantic Review

Mad as Fish

Yes and no.

The problem is that much of the land that is farmed is only suitable for animal production. As pointed out before, Ireland is best suited to grass, certainly in the west, but you and I can't digest it so we get cows and sheep to do that for us, then eat them instead.

Wascurito

Yes and no.

The problem is that much of the land that is farmed is only suitable for animal production. As pointed out before, Ireland is best suited to grass, certainly in the west, but you and I can't digest it so we get cows and sheep to do that for us, then eat them instead.
People have used the Irish landscape to grow food for their own use and this was a time when the population was higher than it is today.

However, I'm really referring to the vast areas of the places such as the USA used for animal feed production. That land could be just as easily for human food production and the USA could feed the population of India were it to switch this land to human food production.

Your statement that "much of the land that is farmed is only suitable for animal production" makes no sense to me whatsoever. What precisely is it about a hectare of land used to produce grain to feed animals precludes it from being used to produce grain to feed humans?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom