• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Ludwig Van Beethoven's "Irish" Symphony.

MauriceColgan

Website
www.irelandtoo.com
Ludwig Van Beethoven's magnificent 7th Symphony, would you believe, has an Irish connection.

I first heard the complete Symphony on a vinyl album decades ago. It was then the fourth movement caught my attention. It definitely sounded Irish!

Further research on the work described by Wagner as the "Apotheosis of the Dance", revealed the Fourth movement of the symphony was based on an Irish song, "Save Me from the Grave and Wise".
As movie star Michael Caine famously says, "Not many people know that". :)

http://irelandtoo.blogspot.com

greengoose2

Good Lord! This tripe has been going on for nearly eight years. Boring a hole in the head stuff! To think that old Beetfield composed so much stuff and only the seventh ever gets a mention. Now his Waldstein would be one of his best. Barenboim had a go at it...

His sonatinas are mere childs play

[video=youtube;8W9sFGFPD04]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8W9sFGFPD04[/video]

GDPR

Ludwig Van Beethoven's magnificent 7th Symphony, would you believe, has an Irish connection.

I first heard the complete Symphony on a vinyl album decades ago. It was then the fourth movement caught my attention. It definitely sounded Irish!

Further research on the work described by Wagner as the "Apotheosis of the Dance", revealed the Fourth movement of the symphony was based on an Irish song, "Save Me from the Grave and Wise".
As movie star Michael Caine famously says, "Not many people know that". :)

Discovering Ireland.
Beethovan's setting of Irish folksongs bring out qualities in them that no other musician was ever able to hear. These settings were ruined by rubbish English language lyrics that were nothing but Paddywhackery, but the music itself is majestic.

[video=youtube;rT9if8s3nk0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rT9if8s3nk0[/video]

greengoose2

Beethovan's setting of Irish folksongs bring out qualities in them that no other musician was ever able to hear. These settings were ruined by rubbish English language lyrics that were nothing but Paddywhackery, but the music itself is majestic.
A bit on the dead side.

Verdi is the one to do the dead stuff!

[video=youtube;_jBLyIQvNf0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jBLyIQvNf0&nohtml5=False[/video]

MauriceColgan

Website
www.irelandtoo.com

[video=youtube;rT9if8s3nk0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rT9if8s3nk0[/video]
Thank you, and Ratio Et Fides. Also Noreen for raising this thread after so many years. Seems to me, and many others here, she is desperate to get my attention.

Beethoven's fantastic Ninth symphony will always be my favourite. Leonard Bernstein and Pianist/Conductor Barenboim talking about Beethoven's beautiful music is a joy to listen to.
They can be seen on youtube doing so. Wonderful insights.

Last edited:

greengoose2

Thank you, and Ratio Et Fides. Also Noreen for raising this thread after so many years. Seems to me, and many others here, she is desperate to get my attention.

Beethoven's fantastic Ninth symphony will always be my favourite. Leonard Bernstein and Pianist/Conductor Barenboim talking about Beethoven's beautiful music is a joy to listen to.
Now we're getting somewhere. Beethoven composed two symphonies; the 7th and 9th. He was well before Maurice's time so probably wasn't so well in the know. I wonder did he ever write an opera, some overtures and perhaps even a Mass...

No, the reason for resurrecting this one is to show you up for the obsessive creature you are whilst accusing others of being obsessive. Now if you could play an aul instrument of show some real talent instead of your tired and tiring repeats of Elvis, Kate Bush, Joseph McLoughlin et al. you might get some respect. It seems that you have invaded every possible forum on the web along with pestering the fourth estate, with your predictable rantings to curry some recognition for what, in the real world, would be deemed teenager fan club nonsense.

You are posting on a political website and in all t he years of you sparkling rhetoric, there hasn't been much, if indeed any political commentary. You are like a cuckoo, invading a nest!

Oh, not forgetting your age...

Socratus O' Pericles

It does appear like that indeed, read this book brfore you go further:

The Possibility of Sex: How Naïve and Lustful Men are Manipulated by Women Regularly

The Possibility of Sex: How Naïve and Lustful Men are Manipulated by Women Regularly - Kindle edition by Alan Roger Currie. Health, Fitness & Dieting Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.

btw: The Sixth is also incomparable.

Dame_Enda

As a lifelong virgin he saved himself for us, musically speaking. Have hours of pleasure from him every night.

greengoose2

These renditions of Beethovan's symphonies played in the style of the period they were written in on specially made instruments such as they were built than are really worth getting. They really bring out the power and force of the works.

Ludwig van Beethoven, Christopher Hogwood, The Academy of Ancient Music, Arleen Auger, Anthony Rolfe Johnson, Gregory Reinhart, Catherine Robbin - Beethoven: The Symphonies - Amazon.com Music
In a way, they are interesting but the modern instruments were inspired by the composers who wanted more! Valveless horns vs valve horns is an example.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies