• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Luke Kelly documentary

brughahaha

Very enjoyable documentary... would have loved more archive footage of luke himself being interviewed but I presume little exists
The clips of Jesus Christ Superstar were hilarious
What a voice though , what a voice !

ManOfReason

Enjoyed the documentary, but could have done with less of the 'personalities' e.g. Bono, Gerry Adams, Christy Moore (who had the balls to imply Luke ended up being a sell out) and wish they stuck to the people who knew him really well.

Abaddon

Yeah, really love that doc. It was on a couple of months ago.

Still can't believe that idiot Bono is still claiming to be from Ballymun.

imokyrok

I spent a night on a mattress on the floor of Luke Kellys basement once when I was a small child. Left me with a bit of a phobia for earwigs! The basement was crawling with them.

captainwillard

I spent a night on a mattress on the floor of Luke Kellys basement once when I was a small child. Left me with a bit of a phobia for earwigs! The basement was crawling with them.
Was that in Dartmouth Square? I lived beside him there in the early eighties when I was a student.

A.Tomás

Only heard of this song a year or so ago

Ah class, "Hand me down my Bible".

A.Tomás

Only heard of this song a year or so ago.

Ah class, "Hand me down my Bible".

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoCagUKAhik]YouTube - Luke Kelly Hand Me Down My Bible[/ame]

turdsl

Nobody should ever try to compete with him on Raglan Road for sure.

wombat

He had an amazing range of songs although I found Paul Robeson's versions of Joe Hill and Peat Bog Soldiers on the internet a few years ago and I'd bet that was where he learned them, different voices but similar style, anyone know?

imokyrok

Was that in Dartmouth Square? I lived beside him there in the early eighties when I was a student.
This would have been about 1970 and as I was a nipper I've no idea where it was. Seemed quite posh to me back then but then again after The Bone anything would.

Iarmhi Gael

Just listening to this moving song sung by Luke Kelly - A Song traditionally sung by a Mother to her son where she tells her son about her father having to work away from home to support the family.

I hope we have poets, songwriters & musicians who can put to verse the difficulties this country is now facing as happened in previous generations which our scholars done. Sadly I don't think The Script, Ronan Keating or The High Kings have it in them

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fDNhqzqHkA&feature=related]YouTube - Luke Kelly come my little son (Rare)[/ame]

My Little Son

Come me little son
And I will tell you what we'll do
Undress yourself and get into bed
And a tale I'll tell to you
It's all about your daddy
He's a man you seldom see
For he has to roam, far away from home
Away from you and me

Remember laddie, he's still your dad
Though he's working far away
In the cold and heat, all the hours of the week
On England's motorway

Now when you fall and hurt yourself
And get at feeling bad
It isn't any good
To go running for your dad
For the only time since you've were born
He's had to spend with you
He was out on the job, and we hadn't a bob
He was signing on the brew

Though he's working far away
In the cold and heat, all the hours of the week
On England's motorway

Sure we'd like your daddy here
Yes sure it would be fine
To have him working nearer home
And to see him all the time
But beggars can't be choosers
And we have to bear our load
For we need the money your daddy earns
A-workin' on the road

And he's soon be home to stay
For a week or two, with me and you
When he`s built the motorway

captainwillard

Luke kelly spent his last few years sipping on pints in the Leeson Lounge. It was a sad end to a man who had such a powerful singing voice.

eoghanacht

Luke kelly spent his last few years sipping on pints in the Leeson Lounge. It was a sad end to a man who had such a powerful singing voice.
I thought you'd be gloating afterall he was a pnko leftie

irishpancake

Just listening to this moving song sung by Luke Kelly - A Song traditionally sung by a Mother to her son where she tells her son about her father having to work away from home to support the family.

I hope we have poets, songwriters & musicians who can put to verse the difficulties this country is now facing as happened in previous generations which our scholars done. Sadly I don't think The Script, Ronan Keating or The High Kings have it in them

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fDNhqzqHkA&feature=related]YouTube - Luke Kelly come my little son (Rare)[/ame]

My Little Son.....snip//

Thanks for that Iarmhí Gael, it has cheered me up on this gloomy night.

Great to hear the great ballad singer with such clear diction, all the words were so full of meaning.

When one thinks of how numerous families that were fed and kept alive by the receipts sent home by those who worked On England's Motorway, and further afield.

It really makes one sick to look at those who caused that huge migration of our best in search of employment and away from a failed State, still in power and still causing an outflow of our best and most able young people.

Do we have any troubadours in modern Ireland who can express the outrage and anger of the people as eloquently as Luke could do for his generation.

Would anyone listen?? care??

Thanks again, from a fellow resident of Iarmhí, exiled in Meath West.