Luke "Ming the Merciless" Flanagan- New mayor of Roscommon

Urmentor

Twitter
@red7778
Whats the deal with restrictions on harvesting in raised bogs. How are the turf cutters affected?

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
Any time I have ever heard Luke speak, he's come across as a rock of sense.. like a poster above says... we need more like him

So he smokes a bit of dope.. so what ?

Better than being a bit of a dope

Franzoni

Any time I have ever heard Luke speak, he's come across as a rock of sense.. like a poster above says... we need more like him

:D...100%.....good luck to him in his new job...

corelli

I remember him well in Galway when I was younger. A great guy.

B

Boggle

Agreed. Whats worse is he keeps it simple and still seems like an intellectual heavy weight next to out TD's.

Urmentor

Twitter
@red7778
Im assuming he got voted in. Anyone know what the vote count was in the end.

gonepostal

Luke is a great guy that speaks a lot of sense. The people of Roscommon will be better off for having him as mayor. I heard him speak on Tipp f.m about Gormleys latest attack on rural Ireland where people that have harvested turf in their own plots for their own personal use are to be banned from using sustainable plots of turf and instead given grants to buy Polish coal or maybe Russian Gas. Another great idea from the greens

iartaoiseach

+1
he always comes across as a reasonable straight talking and smart guy when he is on Matt Coopers show. I suppose it helps when he is paired with Grainne Kenny. she'd make anyone sound rational. The other thing about him is he seems not to buy into the 'system' where gravy trains are concerned. he is politically independent. we definitely need a few more like that.

iartaoiseach

He always makes more sense than the shower of pissheads in the dail anyway.

dpbdpb

Yeah he always comes across as being a top class politician. he seems to be in it to actually help his constituents and not just himself.

Im glad that the people of Roscommon had enough sense to see past the weed (non)issue.

showbandmanager

Every time i've heard the guy on the last word he's always come accross very well , seems very straight talking and intelligent and free of the usual politician bull

goatstoe

Best of luck Luke, great to see someone with a good mixture of enlightened and common sense views get on in Irish politics.

CookieMonster

Marty Whelan shagged his sister?

gatsbygirl20

Good man, Ming.

Little cousin of mine--ten years old--very disappointed in this bog thing. He looks forward to working with his grandfather on the bog, as the family has done for generations.

The bog has almost mythical status in parts of the West. "Rearing" the turf is a family and community activity, where the people celebrate the bit of good "turf weather". You get a "bog tan" from the sun, and you get "bog famine"---the incredible hunger of the bog, caused probably by day-long work in the open air, which is relieved by the arrival of sandwiches and tea. No food ever tastes better than the bog picnic.

The whole family is involved--children doing their bit,--there are no "spectators" allowed ---although the work is hard and back breaking. Handling the natural sods of turf is strangely satisfying.

Country children will have many magic memories of the bog---bathing their feet in the amazingly soft, almost creamy bog water, picking the white bog-cotton....

Incredible to think such positive, family-focused work is coming to an end.....

flavirostris

Good luck to him. What a character. I remember seeing one of his election flyers years ago with a picture of him in pensive mood - "The Ming Thing".
The Manifesto was classic: "An end to the famine-like work schemes" - he was talking about the student summer work schemes which were intended to get them off the dole

New Threads

Most Replies