Lundy's Day

Schomberg

Hope everyone has a good time and stays safe. cracking day out!

any londonderry posters predictions on trouble flaring up this year? hoping it won't but I've been hearing the 32SM will be protesting tomorrow.

Scipio

Lundy's Day? Please tell me you're joking.

Edit: It seems you aren't.

vinoboy

Would not worry too much about 32CSM , Gary Donnelly and his gang of 17 year old low IQ .their informers have already told PSNI their plans .
Enjoy the march and everybody should appreciate the history without giving offence to anybody .

picador

Watch out for black ice on the Glenshane Pass.

Schomberg

Lundy's Day? Please tell me you're joking.

Edit: It seems you aren't.
eh? surprised you never heard of that during your time in NI?

vinoboy said:
Would not worry too much about 32CSM , Gary Donnelly and his gang of 17 year old low IQ .their informers have already told PSNI their plans .
Enjoy the march and everybody should appreciate the history without giving offence to anybody .
Hope so. Just with the way they've been hotting up lately and all. would be a shame to see trouble flaring up when in all fairness to the ABs they've been doing a great job with things like this, the St. Paddys day things and the Maiden City Festival especially. The Orange could do with taking a leaf or two from their book.

Northern Voice

Hopefully all the band members a lodge members have a great day. Wish my club did this.

DerryBee

Weird, forgive my ignorance but when is Lundy's Day? I say weird because if it was today then I must be blind!...:oops:

Schomberg

Weird, forgive my ignorance but when is Lundy's Day? I say weird because if it was today then I must be blind!...:oops:
Time to head over to Specsavers mate petunia

picador

I am guessing it must be tomorrow.

What is it commemorating again? AFAIK the one in August commemorate the lifting of the siege of Derry so what does this march commemorate - is it when the apprentices closed the city gates?

C

Cass

Bloody hell...:oops:...are you serious? Did a march take place today, I was up the town and I didnt see anything, how embaressing! :lol:
Fair play to the people of Derry as they've been doing for years.. They just ignore such events like this these days. Nothing to see here.

Northern Voice

I am guessing it must be tomorrow.

What is it commemorating again? AFAIK the one in August commemorate the lifting of the siege of Derry so what does this march commemorate - is it when the apprentices closed the city gates?
Yes.

Schomberg

Bloody hell...:oops:...are you serious? Did a march take place today, I was up the town and I didnt see anything, how embaressing! :lol:
Technically "today", the 4th.

picador said:
hat is it commemorating again? AFAIK the one in August commemorate the lifting of the siege of Derry so what does this march commemorate - is it when the apprentices closed the city gates?
yeah, that's the one

picador

It is tomorrow cos some of the Belfast ones were upset they couldn't march past Ardoyne with the Brian Robinson UVF band.

Molly Maguire

Website
www.slotpb.com
Take the peelers out the story and 1969 would happen all over again.

Marches by loyalists in catholic areas are a recipe for disaster.

vinoboy

there has been a closing of the Gates parade for over 70 years , it isa smaller parade for parent clubs of ABOD ,usually 2000 and 25 bands and no trouble.

picador

Take the peelers out the story and 1969 would happen all over again.

Marches by loyalists in catholic areas are a recipe for disaster.
It is in the city centre. The traders love it cos their trade takes off elsewhere for the day. :rolleyes:

DerryBee

Technically "today", the 4th.

yeah, that's the one
:oops:

Thanks for saving me from embarrassment…:lol:
I hate to introduce religion into a thread but my family are Catholic and as such we have no tradition in any of the loyal orders – except for one Protestant relative whom I recently discovered from 1901 who was a member of the Apprentice Boys, which is cool - I have always been fascinated by the history and culture of the Apprentice Boys and the shared history of our city. The Tower Museum has a very interesting and exciting section on the Siege of Derry, which is brilliant for visitors who are keen to learn about one of the most seminal moments in the history of our city. I am personally very excited about the forthcoming anniversary of the construction of the walls, and the Tower Museum has been at the very forefront in promoting awareness amongst school children in the city and hosting historical workshops of the walls in order to engender a greater appreciation of the most beautiful feature of our city.

New Threads