• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

M50 chaos

realireland

Was anyone else stuck in the M50 NoFlow today?? I was coming into Dublin on the N4 this morning and just turned back.

Any ideas for quick fixes for the M50??

I suggest all members of the Cabinet try entering Dublin each morning via the M50. It might get some political will behind fixing this joke.

jjcarroll

Website
www.semper-idem.eu
Apparently, the Gardaí were nowhere to be seen on the M50, until you got beyond the N4 interchange heading south where the traffic opened up. Then they were out in force, speed trapping.

Of course, no one is actually responsible for the road network and traffic in this country. Failures are system errors, and the problems of economic success. If a few ministers had to get up at 6 O'Clock for a few weeks, and commute along the M50 from say Finglas to Dun Laoghaire, it wouldn't be long before real action was seen.

alonso

there is no quick fix to this. Unless motorists from satellite towns are willing to give over a lane of each radial route to a QBC and the govt is willing to give about 500 buses so one will leave Drogheda, Navan etc every 4 minutes in peak hours and guaranteed run-times can be achieved. Even this radical measure will be a stop gap.

The long term solution? Tolls at every entry point to the M50. A total ban on all development along the M50 except those within 800metres of a Metro stop. No Ikea there. Metro West, Metro North, Lucan Luas, Kildare and Maynooth DARTs, followed by the decommissioning of about one third of the parking spaces at employment locations inside the M50 and a quarter along the route. A cycle network, thousands of jobs in the satellite towns, congestion charging. A complete moratorium on anyone named Cullen being within 500 metres of a transport policy document...

just off the top of my head like....

pfkf

Typical of this government, open an Motorway, and now they have to back and add a third lane, and when they have done that, they will have to build a fourth lane. clearly not going to happen.

The only long term solution is to build a new ringroad around Dublin and not let any development near it, don't put any tolls on it, allow free flow traffic, The M50 is in affect a car park when the port tunnel finisheses in a couple of weeks it will only get worse, there also needs to be proper public transport services for people that now live on the M50 to try to stop them using their cars.

At the moment the road has reached capacity and there are only very few short term messures that could be put in place, such as buying out the toll bridge and getting rid of the barrier. It was a badly planned motorway, and we are now seeing the results.

A_man_about_a_dog

pfkf said:
Typical of this government, open an Motorway, and now they have to back and add a third lane, and when they have done that, they will have to build a fourth lane. clearly not going to happen.
I think that is a very unfair statement to make. The M50 was in planning and under construction long before this government came to power. I dont blame the M50 on any one particular government, it is the fault of idiotic, incompetent planners. The same planners who have for decades planned poorly. They couldnt organise a piss up in a brewery! (Bit like the Gardaí involved in operation no-flow!)

John_C

There's nothing wrong with the M50 itself, the problem is that Dublin was built up using it as a local road instead of a bypass. Building a second bypass would only be repeating the mistake. What's needed is better traffic management inside Dublin.

The Trinity Politick

This government aren't inexcusable in relation to the M50...in 10 years they could have done something!

Catalpa

alonso said:
there is no quick fix to this. Unless motorists from satellite towns are willing to give over a lane of each radial route to a QBC and the govt is willing to give about 500 buses so one will leave Drogheda, Navan etc every 4 minutes in peak hours and guaranteed run-times can be achieved. Even this radical measure will be a stop gap.

The long term solution? Tolls at every entry point to the M50. A total ban on all development along the M50 except those within 800metres of a Metro stop. No Ikea there. Metro West, Metro North, Lucan Luas, Kildare and Maynooth DARTs, followed by the decommissioning of about one third of the parking spaces at employment locations inside the M50 and a quarter along the route. A cycle network, thousands of jobs in the satellite towns, congestion charging. A complete moratorium on anyone named Cullen being within 500 metres of a transport policy document...

just off the top of my head like....
A complete bar on Mass Immigration.

FakeViking

I think a complete bar on odd-numbered numberplates would be better. And blondes. And PD's. No, wait a minute, they're only 2% :cry:

Catalpa

Well one thing is clear Dublin cannot continue to expand at this rate. The strech on the public infrastructure is clearly reaching breaking point.

The GDA is probably growing by 6,000 + people a month (72,000 per annum) and I just don't this can go on for much longer without there being seriously negative consequences.

DUBLIN IS FULL!

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
Has any party produced a study on the cost of traffic congestion ? Even just do the sums for one episode ?

I'd be interested to see this contrasted with money spent on the DTO (or whatever Cullen renamed it). I'm not talking about capital expenditure - more the people monitoring all the cameras & traffic lights etc.

I was caught in some icky traffic this evening, minimum I'dve offered €10 to get out of it.

After my taxi passed Waterloo Road it was apparent that we oughta gone down it... taxis for example all have quite sophisticated GPS... in Ireland we have a lot of spare Radio bandwidth (Army, Ambulance etc)... don't see why at the least we couldn't broadcast actual traffic flow as a paid for service... such an IT system would be a significant undertaking... so before I even suggest costing it why doesn't someone cost the cost of congestion ?
(Hint FG... hint)

CyP

John_C

Catalpa said:
DUBLIN IS FULL!
Maybe if we moved the port out of the city and saved a lot of people the commute by building lots of housing in its place?

FakeViking

Maybe Biffo should have suggested Decentrilisation yesterday! It might work if done properly, not in a Parlonesque vote buying scam!

FakeViking

John_C said:
Catalpa said:
DUBLIN IS FULL!
Maybe if we moved the port out of the city and saved a lot of people the commute by building lots of housing in its place?
Having just wasted the cost of two new big hospitals on the Tunnel?

PS: I think you're right!

John_C

FakeViking said:
Having just wasted the cost of two new big hospitals on the Tunnel?

PS: I think you're right!
The tunnel would still be there we'd only have to rename it.

If everything was designed really cleverly the underground carparks could lead straight onto the tunnel so as people would have no easy way of driving into the city, they'd have to take the shiney new luas that would be extended from connolly especially for them.

On the more general point, Dublin has a population of about 2 million and a commuter belt probably bigger than Belgium. I don't accept the 'Dublin is Full up' argument. Dublin neads to be planned with a bit of intellegance and a bit of balls.

John_C

Catalpa said:
Good idea but that will take years... :?
But isn't that the type of thinking which has gotten us into this mess? Dublin will be around for a few years yet so why not plan a few years ahead?

Short term solutions like cheap bus fares and operation free-flow are good and do a job in the short term but they're not a substitute for propper planning.

realireland

I think everyone agrees that this is going to get worse (a lot worse) before it gets better. I've a feeling that the M50 chaos will be the lead story in the New Year. It has now exceeded capacity and there are no relief measures to alleviate the pressure anytime soon. This is going to hit the Dublin (and National) economy in a big way.

untouchable

Website
www.soldiersofdestiny.org
top of the pops

realireland said:
I think everyone agrees that this is going to get worse (a lot worse) before it gets better. I've a feeling that the M50 chaos will be the lead story in the New Year. It has now exceeded capacity and there are no relief measures to alleviate the pressure anytime soon. This is going to hit the Dublin (and National) economy in a big way.
Its funny, though all those commuters are about to give their number one to Bert and Martin C-the clown in the cabinet! according to election/popularity polls.
Theres no accounting for taste, as the woman said when she kissed the cow. :)

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies