M50 eFlow system not charging for foreign vehicles.

I have been keeping any eye on the M50 eFlow system and it appears its not charging for foreign vehicles.

I have spoken to 8 people who have all driven therough the eFlow system over the past 2 months in a foreign registered vehicle and each and every one of them have never been charged or received a charge for the toll.

Each vehicle has been a UK registered car/lorry.

So it appears that the M50 toll is for Irish road users only, unless of course the people I know are very very lucky/special!

johnfás

Not really a surprise to you, surely?

The Irish authorities do not, yet, have access to an EU wide vehicle registration database.

jacko

I drive an irish reg car and regularly get parking tickets in the north. I just take them off the windscreen, tear them up and put them in the nearest bin as they are equally unenforceable

wexfordman

Well, the gov missed an oportunity to get all to pay for road use, includeing foreigners when they brought in the carbon tax. It shouyld have been done in a manner that allowed the abolition of road tax and pure pay per use based on the levy on fuel, that way, everyone pays, everyone gets an opportunity to manage their consumption and we no longer have to pay the gaaurds and legal system for revenue collection duties and enforcement.

But oh, no, god forbid, the greens wet themselves at the idea of "carbon tax" and could think no further!!

Tigris Celtica

Well, the gov missed an oportunity to get all to pay for road use, includeing foreigners when they brought in the carbon tax. It shouyld have been done in a manner that allowed the abolition of road tax and pure pay per use based on the levy on fuel, that way, everyone pays, everyone gets an opportunity to manage their consumption and we no longer have to pay the gaaurds and legal system for revenue collection duties and enforcement.

But oh, no, god forbid, the greens wet themselves at the idea of "carbon tax" and could think no further!!
What about foreigners who come in with a full tank of fuel and nip over the border if they need to fill up ? - What are the gaaurds going to do about them ? .;)

ballot stuffer

I drive an irish reg car and regularly get parking tickets in the north. I just take them off the windscreen, tear them up and put them in the nearest bin as they are equally unenforceable
I was under the impression that the PSNI can seize southern cars with outstanding fines in lieu of payment?

sparkey321

So it appears that the M50 toll is for Irish road users only, unless of course the people I know are very very lucky/special!
Give them a few months

They employ a collections agency in the UK and fees and fines are followed up. It can take a few months but its not forgotten.

I had 2 engineers from the UK in before Christmas one was driving a van and one a car all on UK plates. Both ended up having to pay.

st333ve

Addendum

i drove a uk car tru and had to pay. They sent me a bill in the uk.
By the same token I work with a polish lad and hes been working here with his Polish registered Audi since 2007, never been stopped by the guards and uses the M50 every day, he has the car insured back in Lodz and has only brought it home once since he got here.

He has never seen a charge from the M50 and unlikely he ever will !

wexfordman

What about foreigners who come in with a full tank of fuel and nip over the border if they need to fill up ? - What are the gaaurds going to do about them ? .;)

Oh, sh!t, ok, scrap the idea, its obviously not viable because of the HUGE numbers of people who will travel the lenght of the country to purchase fuel accross the border!

jacko

I'd love to see the numbers for

1- number of illegible number plates

2. - % of non payers who get a letter

3. % of non payers against whom a courtcase is commenced

Addendum

I'd love to see the numbers for

1- number of illegible number plates

2. - % of non payers who get a letter

3. % of non payers against whom a courtcase is commenced
4. The amount of foreign reg'd cars that pass through a day that they don't get paid for.

From what I have seen on other forums they get people to the doors of the courts and then try and negotiate a settlement. But if someones is on the scratcher what are they going to do? Waste of time!

Theres a story on one forum about some pizza delivery lad who got stung for €4k in fines as he never paid, suffice to say he didnt have to cough it up!

jacko

4. The amount of foreign reg'd cars that pass through a day that they don't get paid for.

From what I have seen on other forums they get people to the doors of the courts and then try and negotiate a settlement. But if someones is on the scratcher what are they going to do? Waste of time!

Theres a story on one forum about some pizza delivery lad who got stung for €4k in fines as he never paid, suffice to say he didnt have to cough it up!
I suppose he claimed not to have the dough !

SideysGhost

Drove through it many times on northern plates and never paid, Ive never recieved a letter or anything instructing me what I should pay or how.
Same here, drive through it every few weeks in a northern reg car for the last 2 1/2 years, not a peep from them.

And if Clowen and Gormless think they are getting a red cent of my money, ever.... :evil:

publicphil

5. The amount of people who get penalty letters even though they have paid.

Has happened to me twice, including last weekend. Took the trip to Ikea on the Saturday, went home, logged on, paid my toll. Happy days.

Letter through the post monday morning - 'you have not paid your toll'. Rang them up, asked them why i had recieved it. 'We don't know, are you sure you did it right? (Yes) Do you own another car? (No) Could you have put another number plate through (No, my computer saves the number plate so each time i do it i can just select it). Oh, okay, we'll look into it and get back to you'. (This was now five working days ago - hmmmm).

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies