M50 Traffic Signposting Nightmare

Abacus

Road traffic law enforcement and particularly very poor signposting on the M50 for the various Junction Offturns is utterly appalling and dangerous. Driving along that obstacle laden highway (roadworks stuff absolutely everywhere) is a very dangerous exercise indeed because there is wholesale disregard for the speed limits.

There are many discussions among concerned motorists about what is needed to bring a sense of order and to make a positive contribution to public safety on the M50. Might I suggest that what is needed more than any else boils down to two things:

(a) bigger and better signposting telling motorists to get in their correct lanes and

(b) speed law enforcement.

What about some overhead signs with huge arrows identifying traffic lanes well in advance of the actual slip roads ? These are very effective and easy to follow by motorists even those who are on unfamiliar highways as will so often be the case on the primary traffic routes.

What's there at the moment on our M50 is a pale imitation of what should be there.

Tigris Celtica

Agreed - There seems to be a race to the bottom to make us a third world country again.
As before the only thing that's now stopping us being classed as a third world country is the appalling weather.

FF 4ever

Road traffic law enforcement and particularly very poor signposting on the M50 for the various Junction Offturns is utterly appalling and dangerous. Driving along that obstacle laden highway (roadworks stuff absolutely everywhere) is a very dangerous exercise indeed because there is wholesale disregard for the speed limits.

There are many discussions among concerned motorists about what is needed to bring a sense of order and to make a positive contribution to public safety on the M50. Might I suggest that what is needed more than any else boils down to two things:

(a) bigger and better signposting telling motorists to get in their correct lanes and

What about some overhead signs with huge arrows identifying traffic lanes well in advance of the actual slip roads ? These are very effective and easy to follow by motorists even those who are on unfamiliar highways as will so often be the case on the primary traffic routes.

What's there at the moment on our M50 is a pale imitation of what should be there.
if you are this blind I question wheather you should be driving at all

b.a. baracus

what an whiner you are ! Fianna Fail give you roads and then you are too blind to read the sign posts and you complain further ! bad to bed loser....that is where you are needed
Trolls are sometimes controversial and sometimes amusing. You are neither. Give it a break - it ain't working pal.:cool:

Abacus

I will resist the temptation to personalise the discussion by referring to eyesight deficiency or any other kind of deficiency regardless of how obvious it may be.
I drive a lot at home and abroad and have no particular axe to grind with local authorities in this country. But my experiences in driving through many of the main traffic arteries and primary routes in France, Spain and Portugal leave me in no doubt that our main road signposting (i.e. most likely to be consulted by tourists) is deficient and capable of immense improvement.

My comments are not aimed at Fianna Fail.

Tigris Celtica

Yo, I'm not going into another few weeks of cracking down on "Zanu FF" rubbish. Cop on please.
I was unaware that references to FF as "Zanu FF" were frowned upon by the Forum Admin. Fair enough if they are - I'll refrain from such reference - albeit that I think they fall into the category of fair comment. .:)

bobsyouruncle

Try slowing down a bit, you know those big hazy blue things that sometimes you see out of the corner of your eye??? there call sign posts...they give you directions:p

Sue Donim

I was unaware that references to FF as "Zanu FF" were frowned upon by the Forum Admin. Fair enough if they are - I'll refrain from such reference - albeit that I think they fall into the category of fair comment. .:)
Well said Tigris - I am surprised at David trying to shield FF and their sorely depleted supporters. Maybe he is afraid that if they are not protected, then they will all (given that that "all" is a mere handfull) strut off in a huff and we would have no one left to try to defend the indefencible.

Making the association between FF and a certain Zimbabwian political party which we are told has held power through corruption, violence and vote rigging (FF could never be accused of the latter - at least not yet) should not be barred. FF are fair game - they wrote the book on fighting dirty in Irish politics, and now that they are on the receiving end of a (very little) bit of exaggeration, they go running to David seeking shelter. I say if the Zimbabwian association is no longer allowed, other ones can be found - now where is my guide to Libyan political parties?

Last edited:

FF 4ever

Well said Tigris - I am surprised at David trying to shield FF and thier sorely depelted supporters. Maybe he is afraid that if they are not protected, then they will all (given that that "all" is a mere handfull) strut off in a huff and we would have no one left to try to defend the indefencible. Making the association between FF and a certain Zimbabwian political party which has held power through corruption, violence and vote rigging (FF could never be accused of the latter - at least not yet) should not be barred. FF are fair game - they wrote the book on fighting dirty in Irish politics, and now that they are on the receiving end of a (very little) bit of exaggeration, they go running to David seeking shelter. I say if the Zimbabwian association is no longer allowed, other ones can be found - now where is my guide to Libyan political parties?
You really show yourself up for the idiot you are . . .

cactusflower

Try slowing down a bit, you know those big hazy blue things that sometimes you see out of the corner of your eye??? there call sign posts...they give you directions:p
Signposts placed to the left of the carriageway are not fully effective as they can be obscured if there are high vehicles to your left. Also, at motorway speeds its easy to miss a sign on the left if one is overtaking or if there are any other distractions.

For this reason, motorway engineers across the world have introduced supplementary signage in the form of gantry signs hung over the carriageways and also use painted signs on the road surface.

In Ireland there is over-reliance on signs on the left of the carriageway. Also, the signs used are often inconsistent in the information they provide on turn-off destinations, undersized, located to close to the junctions and sometimes even hidden behind bushes.

The most futile and irritating signs are the ones placed at the right of turn off junction, too small and too late to be any use to anyone wanting to turn off safely and occasionally prompting people to reverse back :eek: if they have just missed the turnoff. I've never seen this type of sign in any other country.

Irish signage has improved in the last three years, but is still frustrating and full of anomalies. There is plenty of research into sight distances that tells us where signs should be located and how big sign lettering on advanced signage should be to be safely read at motorway speeds, but it seems that this research has not been referred to by the NRA.

Sue Donim

You really show yourself up for the idiot you are . . .
How so? Go on, defend the indefencible :D

Time for a new thread on the Zimbabwian issue? Like Private Eye used to refer to someone having sex with a person who was not their spouse or partner as being "discussing Ugandan affairs" we can discuss Zimbabwian affairs when referring to FF corruption, incompetence etc. so as not to upset the sensitive types who linger in Biffo's trenches.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies