• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

M7/8 Motorway widening J8-J11. Why Speed restrictions on Sunday?

Vega1447

I travel to/from Dublin via the above every 3 weeks. On the way up on Friday evening here is a 60 kph speed limit on the section (J8-J11 at present) being widened.

Fair enough as work is being done so workers need to be able to access the motorway. Though still a PITA.

But why oh why does the speed restriction apply when travelling back on Sunday evening when there is zero work being done - obviously no workers present?

Is there a good reason - other that lazyness?

Sync

1) Saves time to not have to change the signs twice a week. Time that's better spent finishing the work
2) Minimises the chance of the workers getting killed while changing signs
3) Drivers need clarity. Repeatedly changing the speed limits on a stretch of road impacts on that clarity.

brughahaha

I travel to/from Dublin via the above every 3 weeks. On the way up on Friday evening here is a 60 kph speed limit on the section (J8-J11 at present) being widened.

Fair enough as work is being done so workers need to be able to access the motorway. Though still a PITA.

But why oh why does the speed restriction apply when travelling back on Sunday evening when there is zero work being done - obviously no workers present?

Given most motorists blatantly ignore the speed limits , and there is zero enforcement not sure why you're worried ......

Disillusioned democrat

1) Saves time to not have to change the signs twice a week. Time that's better spent finishing the work
3) Drivers need clarity. Repeatedly changing the speed limits on a stretch of road impacts on that clarity.
A better way to finish the work would be to work on Sundays too.

It seems like the road tax, VRT and duty paying tax payer is tertiary when prioritizing roadworks in Ireland

Sync

hollandia

Yes. Restricted lane widths and lack of overtaking opportunities. The 120kmph speed limit on our motorways is based on having enough room to move lanes if needs be and is based on driver reaction time among other factors. You wouldn't propose a 120kmph zone through towns at night when there is less traffic for exactly the same reason.

Simple, volume of traffic and proximity to work zones has nothing to do with it.

Also, what Sync said.

Vega1447

Given most motorists blatantly ignore the speed limits , and there is zero enforcement not sure why you're worried ......
According to signs there have been (pick number from ar5e) prosecutions in the last X months...

Vega1447

Trouble is that speed restrictions that are obviously unnecessary get ignored.
That then bleeds through to the Mon-Sat restrictions that should not be ignored.

Vega1447

A better way to finish the work would be to work on Sundays too.

It seems like the road tax, VRT and duty paying tax payer is tertiary when prioritizing roadworks in Ireland
Yep.
Noticeable how few workers/moving machinery are visible even on Friday afternoon.

statsman

Yes. Restricted lane widths and lack of overtaking opportunities. The 120kmph speed limit on our motorways is based on having enough room to move lanes if needs be and is based on driver reaction time among other factors. You wouldn't propose a 120kmph zone through towns at night when there is less traffic for exactly the same reason.

Simple, volume of traffic and proximity to work zones has nothing to do with it.

Also, what Sync said.
This.

I've been through those works a few times, and I can't see why anyone would think it safe to drive through them at speed.

dizillusioned

Yep.
Noticeable how few workers/moving machinery are visible even on Friday afternoon.
It is nearly as bad as the county council workers in the seventies. One goes out on the road and flags traffic while the other one is in the hedge making tea.

Those works on the M7 are a complete joke. No matter what time of the day I have gone past, there is little if no real work going on. It is not a massive project.

They build 70 miles of highway here. Took down and rebuilt 50 bridges. And build 4 lanes (up to 6) from O’Hare through to Wisconsin in a year and a bit.

Sync

This.

I've been through those works a few times, and I can't see why anyone would think it safe to drive through them at speed.
Well I'm a really good driver though. It's everyone else who sucks.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies