MacGregor and Mayweather!

TakeitAll

roc_

... Hope it happens because it would destroy any illusion that pub fighting is legitimate sport...
You have no idea what MMA is, or the skill of the fighters.

The sport has gone a very long way since its "no rules" fight to the end character of the 1990's where today's very differennt sport evolved from.

McGregor is an incredible athlete. Highly skilled in a range of fighting disciplines. As are the other fighters on the UFC roster.

Don't like either of them but would enjoy McGregor getting brought down a peg or two.
Of course.

"... If there is no fun in what you are doing, tell me why you are doing it? I am having fun and making a living doing it.

There has been a lot of bitterness out there toward me. Some say I’m overhyped, that I will fail. Let me tell you whatever gets said online never gets said to my face. But this is life. When you reach a certain level it just seems to draw in some negative forces.
The haters surface. I simply choose to leave the bitterness behind. As I said before I will wipe away the tears with my money.

They pay their hard-earned money in the hope to one day seeing me face down in a pool of my own blood. I remain victorious, cash their hard-earned money and wipe my ass with it. Thank you for the purchase. Maybe next time it might happen. But next time the price is doubled..."

EXCLUSIVE Conor McGregor - Independent.ie

Seanie Lemass

He wasn't good enough to make Irish boxing team. I don't think any more needs to be said.

It is a dogs dinner, indulged by all sorts of creatures.

You seriously think MacGregor would beat Mayweather boxing :)

And no harm to him if he is making a few quid.

But so did Boyzone.

roc_

You seriously think MacGregor would beat Mayweather boxing :)
I don't know. Only Conor McGregor knows that.

But here is the trainer of recently beaten light weight champion Alvarez, McGregor's last opponent, speaking on a recent TV show.

Note this trainer is yet another guy (Mark Henry) who not too long ago was calling McGregor "a fraud" and so on. He has now changed his tune after witnessing him in action:

Mark Henry: “You cannot teach someone how to swing like that. It takes hips, it takes a certain shoulder, it takes a flick of the wrist.”

“It’s so many tiny mechanics. Like what it takes to make an eyeball work is the same thing that it takes to make the perfect swing. You know? Like Babe Ruth. I just compare Conor, his swing, to Babe Ruth, man. I always watch tape of it but to be that close and watch it, was a whole other thing. It comes along once in a lifetime or once every 100 years or what not. God has just blessed him with a swing that I will probably never see again.

Also, too, his range – he knows his range so well. A punch could be an inch, less than that, it could a centimetre from his face and he won’t put his head back at times because he knows it’s not going to hit. So, you know, a lot of the time, he will slide back his head and come, but if you don’t slide back your head [the counter] comes back even faster.

I could even go into it further. Like that last four-punch combination he threw, to know where [Eddie’s head] was going to be on all four moves. He knows way ahead of time where you are going to be. There are so many different things that go into what he is doing. His eyes are so focused, or just knowing where someone’s head is going to be, or tricking somebody by setting it up with his feet.

“Before this fight, I would highly doubt him fighting Mayweather. But, man, I think this dude could take out Mayweather."​

Seanie Lemass

Phil Suthcliffe who trained MacGregor as a kid in Crumlin BC described UFC as barbaric.

It is a joke of a sport.

Comparing him to boxer is like claiming that rugby prop might have beaten Ali or Louis if they'd had a knife or an iron bar.

roc_

Ah, Sutcliffe is a boxing purist. He thinks you should never hit someone when they're on the ground. He thinks you should never kick someone.

But fighting is fighting. Each fighting discipline has its own institutions and norms. MMA mixes them all up. Nothing more than that.

I can tell you that there are long long lines of people waiting for any chance to shout about that boxing is barbaric too and should be banned.

But the main point is you do not know enough to dismiss MMA as "a joke of a sport". You could say the same about any sport. Gaelic football is just as much "a joke of a sport" to some minds. Of course they probably don't have much direct experience of it, or of the people who involve themselves in it. Or what those people are really like. (Or, maybe they do ;) ).

Same goes here. MMA as a sporting discipline has many strands that need taking very seriously indeed, and with the greatest discipline. And then some.

roc_

Is further comment required?
Obviously so.

How many martial arts involve ground fighting and kicking?

Some of which fighting arts have been around a lot longer than boxing, and can make claim to just as high an integrity in their practice as boxing if not more.

Roisin3

UFC is obscene and shouldn't be compared to boxing. It's largely where the guys who couldn't make it in boxing go to engage in pub fighting.

Mayweather shouldn't engage with McGregor, and I hope he's not getting into trash talking in order to amp up the possibility of one last fight before he turns 40, and that he's just disgusted at the comparison and dumb TMZ stalkers having the audacity to ask him such dumb questions.

cozzy121

Seanie Lemass

Obviously so.

How many martial arts involve ground fighting and kicking?

Some of which fighting arts have been around a lot longer than boxing, and can make claim to just as high an integrity in their practice as boxing if not more.

My daughter was involved in Judo.

It is sport based on respect and strict rules.

To compare it to that monstrosity of UFC is just insulting to real martial arts.

It is thuggery that until 20 years ago only existed in basements in New York for the bemusement of degenerate gamblers.

roc_

Look, obviously the usual crowd of keyboard warriors want to put down someone who is "getting above themselves".

Keyboard warriors who obviously have no clue about what they're talking about as regards MMA, whether in jiu-jitsu, wrestling, the strategy and planning, the training that the athletes go through every day, and much more.

There is little difference between boxing and MMA in terms of how "barbaric" they are or are not. - They are both defined by a set of fighting rules, and there is a referee to ensure that those rules are kept and hopefully no one gets hurt.

There is nothing exceptional about boxing that gives it some innate right to assume some position of moral grandstanding over other fighting arts, or their combination as in MMA.

[video=youtube;L9EqCtm4RM4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9EqCtm4RM4[/video]

Learn about MMA, then get back to us.

TakeitAll

Look, obviously the usual crowd of keyboard warriors want to put down someone who is "getting above themselves".

Keyboard warriors who obviously have no clue about what they're talking about as regards MMA, whether in jiu-jitsu, wrestling, the strategy and planning, the training that the athletes go through every day, and much more.

There is little difference between boxing and MMA in terms of how "barbaric" they are or are not. - They are both defined by a set of fighting rules, and there is a referee to ensure that those rules are kept and hopefully no one gets hurt.

There is nothing exceptional about boxing that gives it some innate right to assume some position of moral grandstanding over other fighting arts, or their combination as in MMA.

[video=youtube;L9EqCtm4RM4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9EqCtm4RM4[/video]

Learn about MMA, then get back to us.
Reasons to dislike MMA;
- The trash talking bollix
- The dubious fights where a mere connection of a punch
results in a KO.
- The wrestling aspect (which McGregor runs away from), muscular versions of Big Daddy and Giant Haystacks :)
- the scumbag and chav young fans, and oddly a lot of young women, who love saying how they stayed up all night to watch the few mins of it.. well whoopee

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies