Madeleine McCann

Ireniall

My aunt who had to work in the family business locked up her young children. Until there was a fire and they nearly died. (Electric blanket if memory serves me right) Her husband, who in that era, didn’t consider it his ‘job’ to mind the children when she was out at night working wasn’t a bit concerned. . My parents often left me in charge, including being locked up. They hired someone on occasion, but we were frequently left alone. Even after my sibling died, we had been locked into our bedroom and left alone, this didn’t change, they went off for three months once for a job my father got on a ship, there was a housekeeper in the day time while us older ones were gone to school, and when the hired man dropped us back after school we were left to our own devices until a baby sitter came at night to sleep over. Our youngest, a baby didn’t recognise my mother when she got back, they stopped in town fir hours on the way back to celebrate with the locals before bothering to see us. The nuns thought they were great as my mother brought exotic presents to them. Of particular value was some classy records she purchased.
I'm sorry to hear that Emily and it is incredible what people thought was acceptable in the past. It sounds to me that your parents simply shouldn't have ever had children. The McCanns did something that the great majority of parents wouldn't dream of doing in their own homes not to mind in a strange place. In the light of this new information I am again reminded of the contemptible Portuguese officer who accused the parents in his book which I'm sure did the sales of it no harm. It might be irrational but it colours my impression of the whole Portuguese police effort. The McCanns did wrong -but they have had a life sentence.

Ardillaun

From what I read in the Sunday Times yesterday it seems that all the evidence they have against him is circumstantial and too weak to mount a prosecution on the back of. The suggestion is that he is is soon to become eligible for parole and the police have now gone public in the hope it might jog someone's memory.
Yes, it sounds weak enough. Scary thought that he could ever be out on the streets again, though, let alone soon.

Last edited:

TakeitAll

I have left my kids alone in a holiday home while my wife and I went to the bar/restaurant or in a caravan on a campsite. We popped back every 20 mins to see how they were getting on. They were young and by and large slept soundly. Most parents as far as I could see did the same. It is NOT gross child neglect. If Madeline was as was likey abducted and killed it is one the perpetrator not her parents.
If it was a pet animal that would be ok as they can defend themselves to any intruders but to leave kids alone like that whether at home or on holiday can only be described as neglect.

recedite

In Ireland there is no actual legal age for leaving a child "home alone" without it being "neglect" but 12 years is a good rule of thumb, as used by many.
If a young child is away from home in a holiday apartment, it is worse because they may wake up disorientated in an unfamiliar place, and forget how they got there, which is potentially terrifying for them.

Dame_Enda

Germany saying they have evidence shes dead, according to Sky News. They apparently dont have a body though. It's probable Christian B., the suspect, was also involved in other child disappearances.

I am wondering about the nearby case that commentators at the time said resembled the McCann case. Joanna Cipriano disappeared in 2004. Many of the same police officers including Goncalo Amaral were involved in both cases. There were 2 convictions for murder in the Cipriano case (a brother and sister), but the woman claimed she was beaten up by the police. The photos of her would seem to back this up, and police were prosecuted over the assault, but all except Amaral and another cop were acquitted.

Could the 2 cases be linked? Was there a miscarriage of justice in the Cipriano case?

Last edited:

StarryPlough01

~Snip~
My parents often left me in charge, including being locked up. They hired someone on occasion, but we were frequently left alone. Even after my sibling died, we had been locked into our bedroom and left alone, this didn’t change, they went off for three months once for a job my father got on a ship, there was a housekeeper in the day time while us older ones were gone to school, and when the hired man dropped us back after school we were left to our own devices until a baby sitter came at night to sleep over.
~Snip~

I don't think any kid should ever be locked up in their bedroom.

StarryPlough01

I don't really understand what you're saying here though (apart from the tragedy of your sibling's death, which, like the McCanns, must have been an unbearable burden for your mother.)

But you're surely not saying it was okay to leave children alone in a house with the electric blanket on? I'm not blaming your aunt, nor indeed your mother, and I suspect that Gerry McCanns had a similar dominant/domineering role in that couple too, just going by their attitudes in interviews.

~Snip~

No, she isn't. If you re-read her post, Emily mentions her uncle wasn't in the least bit concerned:

"My aunt who had to work in the family business locked up her young children. Until there was a fire and they nearly died. (Electric blanket if memory serves me right) Her husband, who in that era, didn’t consider it his ‘job’ to mind the children when she was out at night working wasn’t a bit concerned."

Emily argues online against parents who neglect their children.

Splodge

I have left my kids alone in a holiday home while my wife and I went to the bar/restaurant or in a caravan on a campsite. We popped back every 20 mins to see how they were getting on. They were young and by and large slept soundly. Most parents as far as I could see did the same. It is NOT gross child neglect. If Madeline was as was likey abducted and killed it is one the perpetrator not her parents.
That doesn’t surprise me in the slightest.

raetsel

Yes, it sounds weak enough. Scary thought that he could ever be out on the streets again, though, let alone soon.
After this, he's never going to have the same degree of anonymity or freedom to move wherever he wishes again.
It's time that the EU formally restricted the movement of sex offenders of other compulsive criminals much more rigidly and confined them to their own countries, or at the very least compelled the authorities to monitor the behaviour of such people so that they cannot move to a new country without the police knowing.

silverharp

The Germans mentioned possible Irish vicitims from this guy?

raetsel

Ardillaun

Where is Larry Murphy these days? Who knows.
He is a classic example. At least we know who he is. Five years out of the country - that should not have been allowed and his whereabouts within Ireland should be constantly known. Change the constitution if necessary to restrict the movement of such people.

Ardillaun

Or just start using the Irish version. Labhrás O Murchu.
Aren‘t name changes part of the public record? Whatever he called himself, he’d have a hard time concealing his identity for long anywhere in RoI. Anyway, if we choose to have a system that lets such people out, we rather than foreigners should live with the consequences.

Last edited:

Buchaill Dana

It is not looking to good for some of the German police force. Apparently they got a tip off about this suspect 4 or 5 years ago.
The Portguese police also knew about this suspect. But apparently preferred to try and blame the McCanns.
Probably because they are very valid susoects.

Buchaill Dana

Is it that time of year? The annual McCann leaked story about a potential suspect thats not them.

Buchaill Dana

It must be. An additional sad angle to the whole McCann story, is you wonder how many other missing children got no or little airtime compared to Madeleine to highlight their disappearance.
Look, if the motive was to keep her in the public eye for general misding children readons, fine. But its not. They need to just stop.

New Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom