Madeleine McCann

The Earl of Desmond

But loosing a child who lets go of your hand etc is different to deliberating leaving all your children home alone while you go out for dinner.

What are the odds though of someone knowing their were children in the apartment on their own with no babysitter - was the person watching and how did they know if the parents weren't going to be bakc to check if as they say they were going to check on them every 15 minutes?

But as people have said if this couple were living off benefits or unmarried you can be sure the reaction would be different.

Rural

Watching it on TV at the moment, seemingly an American man who just lost custody of his own 3 year old has been missing since Madeleine's disappearance. There was a white van seen outside the McCann's apartment & this man owned a white van.

Hopefully, it will pan out O.K.

Imagine feeling panic every minute of every day for 9 days. It doesn't bear thinking about.

marcecie

The Earl of Desmond said:
But loosing a child who lets go of your hand etc is different to deliberating leaving all your children home alone while you go out for dinner.

What are the odds though of someone knowing their were children in the apartment on their own with no babysitter - was the person watching and how did they know if the parents weren't going to be bakc to check if as they say they were going to check on them every 15 minutes?

But as people have said if this couple were living off benefits or unmarried you can be sure the reaction would be different.
From reading todays paper it looks like the parents were watched as they eat with friends in same restaurant each night. Children were checked every 30 mins so routine was easy to follow, at least there is plenty of publicity so hopefully she will be found safe.

I really think people should relax over the fact that the kids were unattended...Portugal is a safe country where children are free to enjoy their childhood, the fact that someone with evil intent has used this fact should not be a call to arms to have every child under 24/7 surveillance...

Seánod

We were in France 3 years ago, in the middle of a busy market, and I had my 3 year old's hand. She started looking at some toys and let go of my hand. I was reading a sign about the price of getting photos developed/turnover times. Next thing, she was gone. We called her in a reasonable voice for about one minute, and looked around us. When I realised that she was not within hearing distance of normal human behaviour, and was panicking in case someone had just snatched her, I let an almighty roar out of me, calling her name, just to either scare her into calling out, or scaring someone else. It was actually our then 7 year old, unperturbed and with clear vision, who spotted her about thirty metres away, squealing her head off, and surrounded by a flock of concerned French women.

I don't think I have said "merci" as much in my life as I did that day. For about 3 minutes, the world turned into a black dark place.

I can't get this young girl out of my head. People criticising the parents in the current context need to catch themselves on...

Kev408

I was in the ILAC today for about 5 minutes and I saw 3 kids around the same age as Maddy completely unattended. I checked. I went to the security man and said you'd think parents would be particularly careful right now. He mumbled something and never moved.

But I agree parents cannot be expected to watch their little ones every single second. Its just not realistic. As for the kids today, who were all independent of each other in a busy shopping centre, the old argument about some parents sprung to mind: you need a license to have a dog but not to have a child.

Oh please, which of us, as rugrats, didn't get themselves lost in Dunnes..terrify our parents...this business about "some parents" is code..children will wander..a bit of perspective please..

Kev408

interested_abroad said:
Oh please, which of us, as rugrats, didn't get themselves lost in Dunnes..terrify our parents...this business about "some parents" is code..children will wander..a bit of perspective please..
One child walked from the fountain to the exit on Moore St (about 50 yards maybe) but the doors were too heavy for her to open. She was trying for about 3 minutes. She was about 2 or 3 years of age and totally unattended for over 5 minutes. That's neglect.

And I said parents cannot be expected to watch their children every single second. That child today was completely alone, security was not interested and I had to walk her back to the fountain myself and guess what that made me look like? When I got back there was still no parent around but a girl around 10 picked her up and off they walked alone again.

Children wander until they are found....not the parents fault where they end up...I'll admit to losing my parents in inner city dublin in the '70's and '80's and freaking them out..it happens..

merle haggard

media hypocrisy is not the McCann families responsibility . This criticism of them , such as the tasteless sensationalist crap on the Gerry Ryan show the other day is deeply inappropriate . Unfortunately its a depressingly predictable trait among many sections of society to kick people when they are down and people dont get much more down than this horrific series of events . It appears they , ordinary people on holiday , were the victims of experienced career criminals who knew precisely what they were doing and how to go about it . In such circumstances the criticisms levelled against the McCann family who are going through the worst agony any parent could imagine are highly distasteful .

Rural

Yes, the monster that took her was watching. If they didn't go out for a meal it would have happened anyway. Holiday resorts are a haven for peadophiles. same as for smimming coaches in this country. little children are in bathing suits, which to all the rest of us, just looks cute, but to a paedophile, well it doesn't bear thinking about.

I remember a good few years ago, when belly tops were in, a lot of Confirmation girls wore belly tops. My friend said that no matter how much her daughter begged, she was not going to dress her up for dirty people to stare, or take 'photos.

We have to protect our children & the world is a scary place now and it was when I was young (the 60's). We were told not to talk to strangers, don't take lifts from someone you don't know etc. Yet I hitch hiked to all the folk festivals when I was a teenager & only had the few odd moments (which I won't go into) that I could handle. We have to prepare our children to handle situations, my boys knew the 999 number by 2 years old, I taught them our address & 'phone number, it may be nothing but it just may help.

I really am sick over this child, I think about her all the time & yet in my heart & soul there is no hope, Jesus wept.

The thing is, not to think that this is the norm, it's very, very unusual. That's why I think the child was targeted & was going to be taken anyway.

The cynical way that SKY exploits this though..using well known bumps in ratings from U.S. NEWS TV which says focus 24/7 on the pretty, white, middle class girl that is snatched..

How many girls have been snatched around the world in the past 2 weeks...

Shameful really

Kev408

And by the way, I don't blame the McCanns either.

Rural

How many small girls have been blown up in Iraq in the last few years. I know that burying a child & not knowing where the child or what is happening to her, are two different feelings & I would rather it never happened to me, ever, but if I had the choice I would rather the former to the latter. Not knowing must be the worst thing ever. Permanent panic, gawd, how could one cope?

The Brits & Americans have made themselves fair game in the world, they are thought of as niave, stupid, selfish, by other countries. I don't like generalisations, but, I've met some of the tourists here, who fully expect to see the little people at some stage.

Ireland, Portugal wherever is not safe, the world is now a small place, nasty people can travel & no-one knows 'cause they are protected, not our children, the paedophile is protected over the rights of our children.

Where are the plackards, where are the protests? We all used to do it in the 80's. What has made us all lie down?

I am thinking about that child all the time, I can't stop worrying. Let's hope she is sent home. But to be honest, I hold little hope.

MaddieS

Little Angel "Madeleine"

What a horrific situation to have ones child abducted or disappear. My heart felt sympathies to the parents and family of their little angel. To be distracted for a moment is enough for your child to get lost in busy shopping. But to leave their children unattended whilst having a meal was a silly and foolish thing to do even if they were popping in checking on them. Unfortunately now this is something that they will regret for the rest of their lives. The world we live in is no longer the safe place where we can leave our front doors open our cars unlocked or ask someone to keep an eye on our children. There are too many evil and warped individuals just waiting for an opportunity. I hope and pray that little Madeleine is found and god bless her family.

HP

Re: Little Angel "Madeleine"

MaddieS said:
What a horrific situation to have ones child abducted or disappear. My heart felt sympathies to the parents and family of their little angel. To be distracted for a moment is enough for your child to get lost in busy shopping. But to leave their children unattended whilst having a meal was a silly and foolish thing to do even if they were popping in checking on them. Unfortunately now this is something that they will regret for the rest of their lives. The world we live in is no longer the safe place where we can leave our front doors open our cars unlocked or ask someone to keep an eye on our children. There are too many evil and warped individuals just waiting for an opportunity. I hope and pray that little Madeleine is found and god bless her family.
How do we know she has been abducted??

Has there been a ransom note? video footage of her being taken?

I saw the Portuguese police officer in charge saying that there was no evidence that she had been abducted, but the British press just portray this as crap foreign police work. A good ol British bobby would have been straight on to the fact that it was obviously a gang of paedophiles... And maybe it was, but where's the evidence????

Two little kids disappeared in the US earlier this year and were found about 3 months later. Sadly they had fallen into a frozen lake and drowned but were not found for quite some time.

An Ghearb

Re: Little Angel "Madeleine"

MaddieS said:
The world we live in is no longer the safe place where we can leave our front doors open our cars unlocked or ask someone to keep an eye on our children. There are too many evil and warped individuals just waiting for an opportunity.
Poppycock. Go to www.oldbailey.org, the historical database of cases at the Old Bailey in London, and search the sexual offences. You'll find absolutely horrific crimes against children from the very beginning of their records.

From an Irish perspective, you might ask yourself where the group One in Four got their name. People might have felt it was very safe leaving their young kids with uncles and older cousins and asking them to keep an eye on them but they were, in many cases, wrong.

Anyway, there is as yet no evidence that this disappearance has anything to do with sexual abuse.

limey

I'm not blaming the parents in any way, shape or form but if this child was the daughter of an unemployed man from a "wrong" area the likes of the Sun and the rest of the gutter press would be calling for the children to be taken into care.

The Earl of Desmond

Here here Limey and because she is white and blonde their is 24-7 media coverage not to mention the OTT reports from SKY everytime the police question someone. It's awful for the parents and she didn't 'wander off' - the parents left her in bed while they went for a meal & claim they were checking every 15 mins and could see the apartment. But what if the child woke up and needed a drink or had a bad dream and goes looking for her parents who are not there ... Bottom line is if the parents had not left the apartment empty the child would not have been taken.

New Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom