Madeleine McCann

Littlesapling

Website
migrant-isitjustme.blogspot.com
interested_abroad said:
I really think people should relax over the fact that the kids were unattended...Portugal is a safe country where children are free to enjoy their childhood, the fact that someone with evil intent has used this fact should not be a call to arms to have every child under 24/7 surveillance...
No child is safe when left unattended, I'm not into bashing those parents God knows they'll have many years to bash themselves over a decision they made to leave three children under the age of four alone in an appartment in a foreign country reagrdless of how often they checked them..If they'd had them with them or in the AVAILABLE creche at the complex, they would be at home now..all of them.
Our children trust us to care for them and protect them, yes bad things can happen but the facts remain that that child would be in her home right now if her parents hadn't left her regardless of the evil predators out there.
There, I've said it and I make no apology.

LilOlMe

"A child is 100 times more likely to be harmed (accidently or by design) by handing he/she over to a strange, unvetted, untrained baby sitter in a foreign country than by putting them to bed and checking on them every 30 mins. "

Where on earth did you get this statistic? Thats untrue, and a very dangerous assumption to make.

Everyone is sharing stories about taking their eyes of children for one minute, or leaving children off to play on a green. Its not comparable.

Three toddlers were left alone, in an unlocked apartment every night. They were not checked on by the parents for the entire night. Police were not called for at least 1 hour (possible 2) after madeliene was discovered missing.

It was not a "mistake", or "error of judgement" by the parents. It was downright negligence. Yes, they are suffering, but Madeleine is suffering (suffered) a hell of a lot more.

I hope she is brought home to people who love and care for her soon, but as the days pass the hope does too.

Lonewolfe

I'm sure there are people for hire, outside of the law, who will venture into the darkest underbelly of society to search for a missing person.

I'd guess that the McCanns have looked at this possibility? This, if true, combined with police work and a massive public awareness campaign means the chances of her being found alive, sadly, are slim.

Good knows what her parents are going through.

Last edited:

sgtharper

laidback

Well neither the Portuguese or British police seem to agree with you on that.
the Portuguese did have issues with the McCann's story and made them 'arguidos' (persons of interest). While an arguida, Kate mcCann refused to answer 48 questions put to her. She was legally entitled to refuse to answer, but a reasonable person would ask, why an innocent parent would refuse to answer and not assist the police in every way possible. Neither did the McCanns and their friends agree to a reconstruction, a very normal procedure in cases like this. While the Portuguese police did not charge them, that may only mean they did not have enough evidence to be reasonably certain of a conviction.

Its unclear what the British police think after this long expensive review. They are now referring to suspects being identified but we do not know if any of these are people who have already given statements to the Portuguese police such as the parents and their friends.

sgtharper

The McCann's are not considered to be suspects in Portugal or by Police in the UK. I would have thought that particular theory had been done to death by now and it was implausible to begin with.
In the almost stratospherically unlikely event that BOTH parents, each of them a doctor, had for no obvious or discernible reason decided to dispose of their own daughter, then I'm pretty sure these two highly intelligent professionals, with their knowledge of medicine (he's an anaesthetist FFS!) could have concocted a plan which would have attracted a great deal less attention than whatever you think they've done. What's more, I don't think that having succeeded so far, they would be so keen on keeping the attentions of two separate police forces and to some extent, governments, focused on it?
It's plainly ridiculous an I'm amazed people still can't see that.

Ren84

The McCann's are not considered to be suspects in Portugal or by Police in the UK. I would have thought that particular theory had been done to death by now and it was implausible to begin with.
In the almost stratospherically unlikely event that BOTH parents, each of them a doctor, had for no obvious or discernible reason decided to dispose of their own daughter, then I'm pretty sure these two highly intelligent professionals, with their knowledge of medicine (he's an anaesthetist FFS!) could have concocted a plan which would have attracted a great deal less attention than whatever you think they've done. What's more, I don't think that having succeeded so far, they would be so keen on keeping the attentions of two separate police forces and to some extent, governments, focused on it?
Indeed. The last thing anyone who had just murdered their child would do is alert the world's media and appear on every talk show from Lisbon to Los Angeles. The Portuguese police made a spectacular balls of the "investigation". I just hope the Met approach this with more professionalism and yield better results.

Bren Boru

The parents behaviour in the aftermath of Madeleine's disappearance was bizarre in the least. It's a pity it was so because it has left lingering questions.

sgtharper

The parents behaviour in the aftermath of Madeleine's disappearance was bizarre in the least. It's a pity it was so because it has left lingering questions.
I 'm not sure what you mean exactly but surely in reality, who can say how they or anyone else would or should behave in circumstances like that?
I seem to recall though, that a lot of this stuff about their actions and behaviour was manufactured, speculative, sensationalist nonsense from the lower end of the Press in both the UK and Portugal, and typically ill-informed, vacuous, vox-pops from the UK's large Jeremy Kyle-viewing community.

SilverSpurs

the Portuguese did have issues with the McCann's story and made them 'arguidos' (persons of interest). While an arguida, Kate mcCann refused to answer 48 questions put to her. She was legally entitled to refuse to answer, but a reasonable person would ask, why an innocent parent would refuse to answer and not assist the police in every way possible. Neither did the McCanns and their friends agree to a reconstruction, a very normal procedure in cases like this. While the Portuguese police did not charge them, that may only mean they did not have enough evidence to be reasonably certain of a conviction.

Its unclear what the British police think after this long expensive review. They are now referring to suspects being identified but we do not know if any of these are people who have already given statements to the Portuguese police such as the parents and their friends.
Indeed the website www.mccannfiles.com chews over some alternative hypotheses and theories of what happened that night.
The failure to answear police questions and to particpate in a reconstruction defies belief.

emulator

I 'm not sure what you mean exactly but surely in reality, who can say how they or anyone else would or should behave in circumstances like that?
I seem to recall though, that a lot of this stuff about their actions and behaviour was manufactured, speculative, sensationalist nonsense from the lower end of the Press in both the UK and Portugal, and typically ill-informed, vacuous, vox-pops from the UK's large Jeremy Kyle-viewing community.
Psychologists can....

That's why the police who usually organise press conferences in these situations, do so to specifically see the reactions of the people to the media's questions. It's a well used tool in these situations and, where there's some suspicion regarding the story.

I seem to recall watching the press conferences myself and have to say the reactions of the parents seemed.... off. Maybe it was partially the guilt of leaving the child alone.... ?

The Field Marshal

No child is safe when left unattended, I'm not into bashing those parents God knows they'll have many years to bash themselves over a decision they made to leave three children under the age of four alone in an appartment in a foreign country reagrdless of how often they checked them..If they'd had them with them or in the AVAILABLE creche at the complex, they would be at home now..all of them.
Our children trust us to care for them and protect them, yes bad things can happen but the facts remain that that child would be in her home right now if her parents hadn't left her regardless of the evil predators out there.
There, I've said it and I make no apology.
It is simply not possible for any any parent to attend upon their child 24/24.
That is your daft and unrealistic expectation.

Under your fear driven and oppressive dysfunctional regime no child would ever be left alone anywhere at any time.

Most parents try to guard their children against harm as far as reason and circumstances permit but the over protective and censorious attitude displayed in your post is actually harmful.

eoghanacht

Gerry continued with his tennis lessons did he not?

eoghanacht

I said it at the time if the McCanns were burberry clad chavs who left their children unattended whilst they downed alcopops desite the fact that their were childminders they could have availed of, the aftermath would have been a whole lot uglier.

ruserious

It is simply not possible for any any parent to attend upon their child 24/24.
That is your daft and unrealistic expectation.

Under your fear driven and oppressive dysfunctional regime no child would ever be left alone anywhere at any time.

Most parents try to guard their children against harm as far as reason and circumstances permit but the over protective and censorious attitude displayed in your post is actually harmful.

Leaving them alone in a foreign country while they go drinking is to be condemned.

The Field Marshal

Leaving them alone in a foreign country while they go drinking is to be condemned.

In the context of this thread as I understand the situation the McCanns did not leave the kids alone and checked in on them frequently.

Many parents in Ireland leave their kids alone in hotel bedrooms at night and go down to the bar for a drink,checking back up from time to time.

Do you condemn that?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom