"Magical Thinking" for technology solutions to Brexit trade across the Irish border with the EU?

boldfenianman

As long as the physical checks are done inland away from the border and done on a statistical sampling basis, they will not unduly upset Irish nationalists and hence be practicable. Sampling would be enhanced when based on technologies for tracking goods and traffic on the border.
My goodness. Do you actually read the papers? Leo has said quite clearly that not one penny will be spent on border infrastructure. He also said that he would expect any such infrastructure to be torn down by "hand if necessary" Don't forget every single border area 6 +26 is Catholic majority. So do you want 21,000 Brit troops back. That's what it took. So the brits would build the checkpoints. The local catholics would attack them. See where this is going.

boldfenianman

Drones and cameras can identify smugglers crossing fields.
I dont know what to say to you. I truly do not. Have you actually been to the border. ? There is nothing. Repeat nothing in rural areas. You are talking about tech as if you are in central London. Cameras destroyed day one. Drones shot down day one. Lorries etc? Would you want to drive one? I would not. Jeez.

boldfenianman

Northern Ireland is guaranteed full access to the EU regardless of the type of Brexit. A hard Brexit lacks support from a big minority of Tory Remainer MPs who would revolt and join with Labour MPs in a parliamentary vote against it. Brexit will be largely symbolic, like membership in EEA and EFTA which Norway has.
WHAT!!! How? Are you insane?

Talk Back

The UK needs to be brought to its knees.

Yesterday evening on BBC NI Newsline, they did a report on the 3 days of "negotiating" this week - the EU said "What we need to have is the recognition that the backstop has to be Northern Ireland specific" and "We have to do away with the fantasy that there is an all UK solution".

Sounds good - what patriotic Irish people want is the backstop making the border down the Irish Sea - which will help to break the link between Ireland and Britain, and help lead to reunification.

seanof

The UK needs to be brought to its knees.

Yesterday evening on BBC NI Newsline, they did a report on the 3 days of "negotiating" this week - the EU said "What we need to have is the recognition that the backstop has to be Northern Ireland specific" and "We have to do away with the fantasy that there is an all UK solution".

Sounds good - what patriotic Irish people want is the backstop making the border down the Irish Sea - which will help to break the link between Ireland and Britain, and help lead to reunification.
I wouldn't be too sure about bringing Britain (you reference the UK but that includes NI) to its knees because they decided to leave the EU. The time might come when it would suit Ireland's interests to do so also. With luck other countries will follow the lead of the Brits and smooth our way to form new alliances.

In the meantime, a border at the Irish Sea and, ultimately, a united Ireland, is the most desirable solution. It would solve the problem of post Brexit North / South trade and travel. It would NOT solve the problem of British customs delays in the transport of goods between Ireland and the EU mainland.

Talk Back

I wouldn't be too sure about bringing Britain (you reference the UK but that includes NI) to its knees because they decided to leave the EU. The time might come when it would suit Ireland's interests to do so also. With luck other countries will follow the lead of the Brits and smooth our way to form new alliances.

In the meantime, a border at the Irish Sea and, ultimately, a united Ireland, is the most desirable solution. It would solve the problem of post Brexit North / South trade and travel. It would NOT solve the problem of British customs delays in the transport of goods between Ireland and the EU mainland.
Yes - NI suffers - people look to the rest of Ireland.

Ferry's float on the sea to EU mainland as they do to Britain.

Patslatt1

My goodness. Do you actually read the papers? Leo has said quite clearly that not one penny will be spent on border infrastructure. He also said that he would expect any such infrastructure to be torn down by "hand if necessary" Don't forget every single border area 6 +26 is Catholic majority. So do you want 21,000 Brit troops back. That's what it took. So the brits would build the checkpoints. The local catholics would attack them. See where this is going.
If the RoI had no trade rules compliance checks inland away from the border, mainland Britain goods with low transport costs relative to prices would enjoy a major competitive advantage evading tariffs and single market compliance on goods exported across the NI/RoI border. If that didn't bother Varadkar, it would certainly bother Brussels and EU businesses competing with those illegal exports. The border would become a colossal smuggling entrepot for many UK goods exports to the EU.

Civic_critic2

If the politics of Ireland had anything to do with trade we would have a population of 40 million and have used our considerable resources productively. But since it hasn't we haven't. No amount of waffling around talking points lifted in the wake of British attempts to create hysteria and confusion over Brexit for whatever their own agenda is changes the fact that Ireland is fundamentally driven by politics that are not economic in their essence, other than what's left to the local management class as crumbs to gorge on.

Patslatt1

I dont know what to say to you. I truly do not. Have you actually been to the border. ? There is nothing. Repeat nothing in rural areas. You are talking about tech as if you are in central London. Cameras destroyed day one. Drones shot down day one. Lorries etc? Would you want to drive one? I would not. Jeez.
High tech miniaturised camera can be as small as an insect,so good luck to border hardmen with finding them. If drones could easily be shot down, the Taliban must be very bad shots. Besides, the cost of advanced drones keeps falling, making it easy to replace them. Trucks for spot checks would initially be protected by well armed security details and be quite mobile, making for difficult targets.

dresden8

High tech miniaturised camera can be as small as an insect,so good luck to border hardmen with finding them. If drones could easily be shot down, the Taliban must be very bad shots. Besides, the cost of advanced drones keeps falling, making it easy to replace them. Trucks for spot checks would initially be protected by well armed security details and be quite mobile, making for difficult targets.
Well armed security details?

You don't get more borderish than that.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom