• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Mairead McGuinness - FG's most wanted?

hiding behind a poster

If the exit poll in Midlands/North-West is correct, then by the middle of next week Mairead McGuinness will be the most in-demand woman in Europe. An obvious potential President of the European Parliament (a role she's been eyeing up for a while) - but, how about back home? McGuinness could at a stroke solve FG's biggest demographic worries, namely women and rural voters, whose support for FG has been drifting downwards since Varadkar became leader and FG basically lost its rural face. But would she do it? You'd have to assume she'd insist on being made deputy leader and added to the ticket in Louth, and realistically she'd either hold marginals or nail down gains for FG in virtually every constituency across Midlands/NW, and probably a few further south too. But is Varadkar prepared to a) demote Coveney after the great job he's done on Brexit; and b) add a genuine leadership rival to domestic politics, rather than having her safely out of the picture in Brussels?

Last edited:

NYCKY

She would get a shot a very decent Commission job if Leo saw fit to nominate her.

wombat

Interesting thread, sounds almost like a campaign by insiders? No way will Varadkar want to bring a potential rival back to Dublin.

hiding behind a poster

Interesting thread, sounds almost like a campaign by insiders? No way will Varadkar want to bring a potential rival back to Dublin.
Not a campaign by insiders, I can assure you. Just my own thoughts.

fifilawe

she is in good company along with the new President of Ukraine , who just happens to be a "comedian".He perhaps could give her a few tips on being "successful in climbing the greasy pole to the very top".But I don't expect any radical changes just "same old ,same old" rubbish but a different talking head saying it.

artfoley56

Not a campaign by insiders, I can assure you. Just my own thoughts.
Sorry HBAP but this far you haven't been able to demonstrate any thoughts that the rational person could consider independent of FG HQ

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies