• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Máirtín Ó Millionaire becomes Belfast's latest mayor.

theloner

After the relative successes of the youthful Niall Ó Donnghaile and Gavin Robinson, it's back to the grey haired blasts from the past, in the shape of managing director of Belfast Media Group and publisher of the US-based Irish Echo, Mairtin O'Muilleoir. He served in the council from 1987 to 1997 and even wrote a book about his experiences in the chamber, which I incidentally would recommend, regardless of political affiliation. O'Muilleoir is taking a break from his extensive business interests for the year to concentrate on Belfast's business interests. He is a Sinn Féin councillor for the Balmoral area of South Belfast.

'In the year ahead I want the help of all our citizens to make Belfast better. My theme for my year in office will be building the future Belfast together. First and foremost, that means building the peace and working hard to bring our sometimes divided people together. It also means striving to create jobs and doing all I can to help put the city's economy back on track'.

His right hand man, Alderman Christopher Stalford of the DUP was also elected as the deputy Lord Mayor at Monday's annual general meeting of Belfast City Council. He is an Orangeman and DUP Councillor for Laganbank. He also has a face like a well-scalped arse.

Here's the Belfast mayor's book about the mad goings-on in Belfast city hall a couple of decades ago.
Belfasts Dome of Delight: City Hall Politics, 1981-2000: Mairtin O Muilleoir, Tom Hayden: 9781900960083: Amazon.com: Books

DT123

Martin's comments(on UTV Live at 10-30 last night), that the Spad Bill was "not a victory for unionists,but a victory for victims",should go down well with the faithful on here.

[video]http://www.u.tv/utvplayer/video/151858/126247[/video]

Last edited:

Legolas

Did he say he supports the SpAd bill DT!?!

Gavin Robinson was an excellent Lord Mayor, fair play for stepping up at his age. Martin looks promising, and hopefully does a better job than his SF predecessor.

theloner

Gavin Robinson was an excellent Lord Mayor, fair play for stepping up at his age. Martin looks promising, and hopefully does a better job than his SF predecessor.
He was fine, still questions surrounding his fundamental religious views and how they affected his policies and stances on certain issues.

DT123

Paul Clarke asks him what he thinks of the "unionist victory" with regard to the Spad bill.Martin replies that it wasn't a victory for unionists,but a "victory for victims". It's in the link.

Lucky man if he keeps his knees.

belfast1981

While I don't really like SF, the guy seems refreshing and honest. Good luck to him, if he can help bring jobs back to Belfast then all the better.

CarnivalOfAction

After the relative successes of the youthful Niall Ó Donnghaile and Gavin Robinson, it's back to the grey haired blasts from the past, in the shape of managing director of Belfast Media Group and publisher of the US-based Irish Echo, Mairtin O'Muilleoir. He served in the council from 1987 to 1997 and even wrote a book about his experiences in the chamber, which I incidentally would recommend, regardless of political affiliation. O'Muilleoir is taking a break from his extensive business interests for the year to concentrate on Belfast's business interests. He is a Sinn Féin councillor for the Balmoral area of South Belfast.

'In the year ahead I want the help of all our citizens to make Belfast better. My theme for my year in office will be building the future Belfast together. First and foremost, that means building the peace and working hard to bring our sometimes divided people together. It also means striving to create jobs and doing all I can to help put the city's economy back on track'.

His right hand man, Alderman Christopher Stalford of the DUP was also elected as the deputy Lord Mayor at Monday's annual general meeting of Belfast City Council. He is an Orangeman and DUP Councillor for Laganbank. He also has a face like a well-scalped arse.

Here's the Belfast mayor's book about the mad goings-on in Belfast city hall a couple of decades ago.
Belfasts Dome of Delight: City Hall Politics, 1981-2000: Mairtin O Muilleoir, Tom Hayden: 9781900960083: Amazon.com: Books

Looks like bitter orange there ;)

1987: RUC physically remove Máirtín Ó Muilleoir from Belfast City Hall for speaking Irish

2013: Máirtín Ó Muilleoir is Mayor of Belfast

Comhghairdeas agus ádh mór Máirtín

InsideImDancing

That DUP boy is good at what he does, he could well end up at the assembly soon.

cillian32

He should have a good look around the mayors office for that elusive fleg.....It got to be somewhere!

InsideImDancing

He should have a good look around the mayors office for that elusive fleg.....It got to be somewhere!
Surely, with this appointment, 'Are Fleg will flow again!?!'

belfast1981

Why is it any time I hear the word 'Fleg' on here... I hear it in a Father Jack Hackett voice..

FLEG
FLEG
FLEG
FECK OFF!!!!

InsideImDancing

While coming across as a likable chap, he was nowhere to be seen during the flag debacle in East Belfast....so yes, a typical Duper and probably will get elected.
Who said he was likeable?!:)

He just seemed to put his argument across in a forceful manner and is liable to be well liked among DUPer voters.

between the bridges

Did I hear correctly that in continuation of SF/IRA's transformation into west Brit arse licking, thirty pieces of silver grabbing, average industry expense account loving, Royalists, he will be keeping the pic's of lizzie and philippos...

Mickeymac

Who said he was likeable?!:)

He just seemed to put his argument across in a forceful manner and is liable to be well liked among DUPer voters.

He will be adored amongst those voters, he brings the Gregory line of thinking into Belfast City Hall.

InsideImDancing

Did I hear correctly that in continuation of SF/IRA's transformation into west Brit arse licking, thirty pieces of silver grabbing, average industry expense account loving, Royalists, he will be keeping the pic's of lizzie and philippos...
Open-minded as opposed to welded shut?:)

CarnivalOfAction

And adding the Tri-colour & pics of Maiéad Farrell & Martin Doherty. But no fleg ;)