Majoritarianism

Talk Back

If the backstop is not a sectarian issue,
What major unionist party supports the backstop?

Hence it is a sectarian issue?
The majority of the people of Ireland (including the 6 counties) accept the de-facto border between Ireland as a whole and Britain in the Irish Sea.

What's sectarian is, some loser Unionist politicians bitchin bout what the majority want.

McSlaggart

No the backstop is mainly a constitutional issue.
That is a priority for Unionists so it is a sectarian issue.
Why does no major Unionist party support the backstop if it is only an economic issue.
Is the conservative party not a unionist party? You appear to think the only people who matter are northern Ireland unionists.

EnglishObserver

Is the conservative party not a unionist party? You appear to think the only people who matter are northern Ireland unionists.
The CONservative party contains Unioniists at all levels, but I do not think it is a Unionist party anymore. The only thing The CONservative party believes in is protecting the wealth and income of the upper quartile (and especially the upper 5%) of society. They will do anything to achieve this end. Eton fees don't grow on trees...

death or glory

So the thoughts and votes of mainland Unionists count towards the events in Northern Ireland.
Who would have believed a nationalist would have conceded this.

death or glory

So you think the Conservatives are "mainland" unionists.
McFly,
It is called the Conservative and Unionist party and the vast majority of their support is on the mainland, so I assume even you can figure that out.

Talk Back

McFly,
It is called the Conservative and Unionist party and the vast majority of their support is on the mainland, so I assume even you can figure that out.
Ireland's "mainland" is the continent of Europe - what you mean is your "homeland" nomad.

Newrybhoy

Eh? You're either talking in riddles, or you've lost your mind.
No riddles.

You're whinging about the DUP using the POC whilst ignoring the fact that SF and the SDLP used it too.

Pure hypocrisy.

Or incredible ignorance.

raetsel

No riddles.

You're whinging about the DUP using the POC whilst ignoring the fact that SF and the SDLP used it too.

Pure hypocrisy.

Or incredible ignorance.
🙄
Neither, I pointed out that the DUP had misused the petition of concern mechanism to block an issue that could not be construed as disadvantaging the unionist community.
I have no problem with either side using the mechanism for the purpose for which it was intended. As usual you've gotten the wrong end of the stick.

Newrybhoy

🙄
Neither, I pointed out that the DUP had misused the petition of concern mechanism to block an issue that could not be construed as disadvantaging the unionist community.
I have no problem with either side using the mechanism for the purpose for which it was intended. As usual you've gotten the wrong end of the stick.
I was listening to the ex captain of the Tyrone ladies team saying that people like her had no option but to vote DUP as they are the only party that are against abortion.

There are different types of community.

raetsel

I was listening to the ex captain of the Tyrone ladies team saying that people like her had no option but to vote DUP as they are twardhe only party that are against abortion.

There are different types of community.
She's quite obviously a religious fanatic, and a bit "touched". She's a also a total exception and completely irrelevant. As was pointed out a few days ago the SF breakaway group Aontú ran various candidates in the local election and won only one seat, with a candidate who'd probably have won anyway as she was a GP for the ward and well known and popular. The number of nationalists who are troubled by the abortion issue enough to vote for the DUP all over the north probably wouldn't even reach four figures if even that.
In other words you don't have a point.

Ardillaun

You would think political Unionism’s long-term objective would be to consolidate a cross-community majority against UI. However, by being so intransigent on the backstop, the DUP have antagonized the moderate nationalists they will need in future votes and made UI more likely. Let’s hope they are seeing sense now.

death or glory

You would think political Unionism’s long-term objective would be to consolidate a cross-community majority against UI. However, by being so intransigent on the backstop, the DUP have antagonized the moderate nationalists they will need in future votes and made UI more likely. Let’s hope they are seeing sense now.
You would think that Eire's objective would be to consolidate a cross community majority for a united Ireland.
However by being so intransigent on the backstop, the Eire government has antagonised the moderate Unionists they will need in future votes and made a united Ireland less likely.
Let's hope they are seeing sense now.

McSlaggart

McFly,

DUP accepts 'need to be flexible' over demands for Brexit deal
Arlene Foster vowed to block any deal that would keep Northern Ireland in the EU customs union

I hope they show this after the watershead.

Ardillaun

You would think that Eire's objective would be to consolidate a cross community majority for a united Ireland.
However by being so intransigent on the backstop, the Eire government has antagonised the moderate Unionists they will need in future votes and made a united Ireland less likely.
You need to travel the few miles to ‘Eire’ more often and listen carefully to what people are really saying about the North.

McSlaggart

McFly,
FYI

im Allister, the leader of the Traditional Unionist Voice party, said: “If the proposals we’re beginning to hear about are correct it would totally disintegrate that economic unity … No matter how you dress it up, that is a fundamental assault upon our position within the United Kingdom.”

Itsalaugh

Virtually every pundit in Ireland said the only workable solution that could accomodate the Brexiteers was a customs border down the Irish Sea. Given how utterly gormless, tactically naive the Duppers have proved there is going to be alot of soul-searching within the wider PUL community. Arlene/Dodds projected their 2017 GE successes as an epoch victory and characteristically couldn't moderate themselves from endulging in smug triumphalism but 2 years later despite their divinely bestowed pact with the Tories a divergence from GB even greater than anything the GFA dilivered is what is being finalised. At last some self awareness is creeping in that GB conservatives/unionist consider the loyal sons of ulster as a group apart that barely deserve any acknowledgement. Even Farage doesnt consider standing candidates. 90 seats in the Stormont Assembly. If an election was called now Alliance/Greens will be set for sweeping gains at the expense of DUP and UUP. I'd calculate 20/21 is highly likely for Alliance/Greens - the middle ground who'll quickly galvanise around the idea of agreeing a new Ireland with Dublin - 32 for Dup/UUP and 37/38 for nationalist parties. In 2021 when even the remaining unionists barely muster the enthuasiasm to celebrate the centennial of the Orange statelet the it'll even be obvious to the most reacalcitrant supremacists on the Shankill or along the banks of the Derg that its all over.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies