Majority for unification in Republic less than 1% when annual cost given.

Breanainn

A rather timely poll by Ireland Thinks, given that Thursday's election could well have hastened the timeline for a Border poll. The poll used the Westminster subvention to estimate an annual cost of €9 billion to Dublin to administer NI, and asked voters if they were willing to pay that sum for a united Ireland.

Yes 33.1%
No 32.5%
Undecided 34.4%

After allocating undecideds, the final result was:

Yes 50.4%
No 49.6%

which is almost identical to the 1995 Divorce Referendum. It would cause serious tension if the North approved, but the South rejected the idea in simultaneous referenda.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0304/857226-poll-united-ireland/

O

Oscurito

NI would be more competitive as part of a UI. It wouldn't cost 9bn.

Last edited:

ger12

NI would be more competitive if ruled from Dublin. It wouldn't cost 9bn.
It wouldn't be "ruled by Dublin". It would be part of a country that elects legislators from every constituency to govern and legislate.

O

Oscurito

It wouldn't be "ruled by Dublin". It would be part of a country that elects legislators from every constituency to govern and legislate.
Whatever....

My point is that we shouldn't assume that in a UI, NI will be treated the same as it is by London.

General Urko

UDI is the only way to go for the Nordies so they can stop leeching of The UK taxpayer and us!

HarshBuzz

NI would be more competitive if ruled from Dublin. It wouldn't cost 9bn.
really? what's your basis for this?

costs are generally agreed to be lower in the North than in the RoI (check our average salary levels for example). I don't see how unification would make the North 'more competitive'.

if anything, I would see it as a similar project to the integration of the DDR into the Bundesrepublik

Strawberry

A rather timely poll by Ireland Thinks, given that Thursday's election could well have hastened the timeline for a Border poll. The poll used the Westminster subvention to estimate an annual cost of €9 billion to Dublin to administer NI, and asked voters if they were willing to pay that sum for a united Ireland.

Yes 33.1%
No 32.5%
Undecided 34.4%

After allocating undecideds, the final result was:

Yes 50.4%
No 49.6%

which is almost identical to the 1995 Divorce Referendum. It would cause serious tension if the North approved, but the South rejected the idea in simultaneous referenda.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0304/857226-poll-united-ireland/
That poll is useless then because its based on a false premise. NI would be cheaper to administer as part of Ireland than it is as part of the UK and it would also get to keep more of its own tax intake instead of having to contribute to the royal family, Trident, HS2, etc.

InsideImDancing

Laughable poll. Propaganda BS.

A UI will cruise through in the ROI. Will not be close. :)

O

Oscurito

really? what's your basis for this?

costs are generally agreed to be lower in the North than in the RoI (check our average salary levels for example). I don't see how unification would make the North 'more competitive'.

if anything, I would see it as a similar project to the integration of the DDR into the Bundesrepublik
They'd benefit from our tax regime and better business environment.

https://www.siliconrepublic.com/companies/best-countries-for-business-ireland-2016

But we'd benefit too! Dublin is bursting at the seams. A lot of FDI could be diverted to Belfast - another large city on the east coast; i.e. good proximity to major markets.

stopdoingstuff

Whatever....

My point is that we shouldn't assume that in a UI, NI will be treated the same as it is by London.
Do you hear fkn Gerry Adams!!!!!!!! Fair play- never knew you had it in you.

ger12

Whatever....

No whatever. It's important. They wouldn't be "ruled", they'd be part of.

Gin Soaked

Wonder what the percentages would be when people's actual tax contributions are factored in.

That is, ignore those who are on state support or only pay the low level of USC.

Or pitch it as the costs being met by Irish taxation as the UK bail post brexit.

HarshBuzz

They'd benefit from our tax regime and better business environment.

https://www.siliconrepublic.com/companies/best-countries-for-business-ireland-2016

But we'd benefit too! Dublin is bursting at the seams. A lot of FDI could be diverted to Belfast - another large city on the east coast; i.e. good proximity to major markets.
I don't share this sunny outlook.

Let them integrate their schools and prove they can behave like normal 21st century civilised folk. Then we'll talk.

ruserious

Would a UI be a final and concrete status that could not be reversed?

emulator

We simply cannot afford not to have a United Ireland any longer...

Political and economic unification of Ireland could potentially deliver a €35.6 billion boost in GDP for the island in the first eight years, according to a US study of reunification by two prominent academics.
The economic research, launched in New York, suggests economic unification could possibly deliver a more sizeable boost in economic output and incomes in the North, with a predicted 4-7.5 per cent long-term improvement in GDP.
Unification of Ireland

http://prcg.com/modeling-irish-unification/report.pdf

Gin Soaked

UDI is the only way to go for the Nordies so they can stop leeching of The UK taxpayer and us!
What do you mean by UDI?

Presume welfare would be same all Ireland. And what of losing the NHS?

The campaign against this will be based on tax rises, services cuts and Dublin being exposed to the wrath of Flegger knackers...

Glaucon

The Irish people will approve unification. The very DNA of the state lies in Irish republicanism and the 32 county republic declared in 1916. To think otherwise is laughable and a canard pushed by straw clutching West Brits.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies