Majority Rule

Roll_On

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/jim-allister-dup-just-feeding-crocodile-by-trying-to-revive-failed-stormont-36809212.html

Interesting article from the BT today. Apparently Jim Allister, absolute loon of a hobbit/troll that he is, has suggested that NI return to a majority rule system. Now of course you might say that's crazy but with a few tweeks I'm sure it could be workable. It would mean we wouldn't need cross community support for things.

The problem is, the only possible government under that system at the minute would be a minority pan-unionist coalition with support from Alliance. In a way it'd be ideal for nationalists who could get things like ssm and ila passed with only a few MLAs from Alliance required to be convinced. It'd be minority coalitions with the Alliance party being the decision makers for the foreseeable. I would find that an acceptable situation. The problem is I don't think Jim envisages it working quite the same way. Perhaps he wasn't aware of the results of the recent assembly election and he thought that the simple permanent unionist domination of the past could come back. In reality though Nationalists would get things their way a lot more just by way of talking to Alliance. And given the likelihood of a future SF/SDLP majority, why would nationalists oppose this?

What do piesters think of this solution? Surely it's preferable than this constant bickering and trying to talk the DUP into an ILA, when one can be passed without their approval at all.

automaticforthepeople

Jim Allistar was once a member of the DUP and couldn't agree with the vast majority in his own party at that time. His interest in majoritarianism seems to be a recent novelty.

statsman

Another attempt at ditching the GFA. The ramifications of Brexit has Unionist politicians in the north, even the Remainers, rattled it seems, but this is not the way to deal with it. Power-sharing isn't perfect, but it's just about better than having a single community dominate power to the detriment to the other one(s).

between the bridges

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/jim-allister-dup-just-feeding-crocodile-by-trying-to-revive-failed-stormont-36809212.html

Interesting article from the BT today. Apparently Jim Allister, absolute loon of a hobbit/troll that he is, has suggested that NI return to a majority rule system. Now of course you might say that's crazy but with a few tweeks I'm sure it could be workable. It would mean we wouldn't need cross community support for things.

The problem is, the only possible government under that system at the minute would be a minority pan-unionist coalition with support from Alliance. In a way it'd be ideal for nationalists who could get things like ssm and ila passed with only a few MLAs from Alliance required to be convinced. It'd be minority coalitions with the Alliance party being the decision makers for the foreseeable. I would find that an acceptable situation. The problem is I don't think Jim envisages it working quite the same way. Perhaps he wasn't aware of the results of the recent assembly election and he thought that the simple permanent unionist domination of the past could come back. In reality though Nationalists would get things their way a lot more just by way of talking to Alliance.

What do piesters think of this solution? Surely it's preferable than this constant bickering and trying to talk the DUP into an ILA, when one can be passed without their approval at all.
The reality is neither 'side' is or can be trusted to 'rule' alone, perhaps system could be tweaked to allow the largest party to form a cross community government, i.e. DUP/SDLP or SF/UUP but that would probably mean the end of the minor partners at the next election, so what we have is the only show in town. Granted its not working at the moment but it made a passable excuse of working in the past and probably will do again in the future...

Roll_On

Another attempt at ditching the GFA. The ramifications of Brexit has Unionist politicians in the north, even the Remainers, rattled it seems, but this is not the way to deal with it. Power-sharing isn't perfect, but it's just about better than having a single community dominate power to the detriment to the other one(s).
Isn't it curious how a unionist hard liner would advocate this? If his idea was implemented he could permanently remove unionism from government.

McSlaggart

The advantage of the current system is that it shows Unionism up for what it is.

statsman

The reality is neither 'side' is or can be trusted to 'rule' alone, perhaps system could be tweaked to allow the largest party to form a cross community government, i.e. DUP/SDLP or SF/UUP but that would probably mean the end of the minor partners at the next election, so what we have is the only show in town. Granted its not working at the moment but it made a passable excuse of working in the past and probably will do again in the future...
This.

michael-mcivor

Time to have the border-poll to see what the majority actually wants- ( Jim would yell No No Never-)-

AhNowStop

The problem is, the only possible government under that system at the minute would be a minority pan-unionist coalition with support from Alliance. In a way it'd be ideal for nationalists who could get things like ssm and ila passed with only a few MLAs from Alliance required to be convinced. It'd be minority coalitions with the Alliance party being the decision makers for the foreseeable. I would find that an acceptable situation. The problem is I don't think Jim envisages it working quite the same way. Perhaps he wasn't aware of the results of the recent assembly election and he thought that the simple permanent unionist domination of the past could come back. In reality though Nationalists would get things their way a lot more just by way of talking to Alliance. And given the likelihood of a future SF/SDLP majority, why would nationalists oppose this?

This is just grim jims pathetic wee delusional dream of getting rid of the GFA and ousting SF from a power sharing Stormont .... God knows what crackpot unionism would try if they were in that position again .... it is what it is ....delusional !!

Jim wants a time machine to take us all back to the good ole days of 1950 :roll: ... it aint gonna happen jim !!

AhNowStop

holy fook, ... somebody call the police .. bwigeys laptop has been stolen :shock:

Mickeymac

Problem with that is, you are ignoring the fact one half of that equation NEVER had the chance to practice majority rule like the unionists did for half a century, they abused that and that is why we are here where we are......surely history has learned you something?

Mickeymac

This is just grim jims pathetic wee delusional dream of getting rid of the GFA and ousting SF from a power sharing Stormont .... God knows what crackpot unionism would try if they were in that position again .... it is what it is ....delusional !!

Jim wants a time machine to take us all back to the good ole days of 1950 :roll: ... it aint gonna happen jim !!

Absolutely ANS, I see it as another feeble attempt by extreme onionists to "sh1t on" the GFA, clearly proves one thing though, Brexit and the continuing talk of unification has certainly rattled unionist cages (trenches):lol

Mickeymac

So far....so good ROLL ON, up to now our usual suspects have not tried to derail and deflect your very debateable OP.........let's hope it continues.

arsenal

I may be mistaken but one point that I kind of agree with Jim on is the fact that under current arrangements pretty much everyone gets to be in govt at the same time and no can be removed from office. He wants a govt and an opposition. This was actually the case under the last assembly when the SDLP,UUP and Alliance all pulled out to leave SF and DUP in govt alone. We did not get the 2-3 years to see if it would actually make any difference. The real test of Jim's viewpoint would come if ever a exclusively nationalist coalition could form a govt. I suspect Jim would demand Stormont be dissolved and direct rule be restored.

He has made these points all before brexit by the way.

former wesleyan

Problem with that is, you are ignoring the fact one half of that equation NEVER had the chance to practice majority rule like the unionists did for half a century, they abused that and that is why we are here where we are......surely history has learned you something?
They never had the chance because they were anti-partitionist. If they'd ever been in a majority ........

vivabrigada

They never had the chance because they were anti-partitionist. If they'd ever been in a majority ........
They were in a majority before Ireland was gerrymandered and Partition imposed.

Lord Deputy

Absolutely ANS, I see it as another feeble attempt by extreme onionists to "sh1t on" the GFA, clearly proves one thing though, Brexit and the continuing talk of unification has certainly rattled unionist cages (trenches):lol
Why should they be rattled by Brexit? They wanted Brexit and they've got it.
From a Southern Irish perspective it's sometimes difficult to ascertain what people in that region actually want.

statsman

Why should they be rattled by Brexit? They wanted Brexit and they've got it.
From a Southern Irish perspective it's sometimes difficult to ascertain what people in that region actually want.
The DUP were the only Unionist party to want Brexit.

runwiththewind

It's time NI moved to normal politics with a normal opposition.

But then what happens when SF become the majority party?

New Threads

Most Replies