Make Cork Greater .. to counter balance Dublin

flavirostris

I remember posting on another thread that Cork should develop a Latin quarter similar to what Galway has. Would help pull in the tourists.

There's loads of areas that are suitable. Barrack St, Douglas St, Around South Main St.

4horsemen

Had to be done :D ... BUT a genuine serious thing to consider for our country? .. THE DUBLIN COUNTER BALANCE

I remember in Urban Geography in College it was always said that a major city in any country. especially smaller countries needs a counter balance. To date in Ireland this has not happened.

For such a small country is it healthy for its economy to have such a large and growing concentration of population and business / jobs up the east coast in Dublin?

Should Irelands 2nd city be this counter balance?

However their are utterances that the current 2nd city should not be that counter balance. That it should be Limerick or Galway?

Limerick can be a counterbalance to Dublin, says Chamber : Limerick Post Newspaper

Just because Cork is the 2nd city does it in fact deserve to remain that and be the Dublin counter balance? Is it geographically good for this even in a small country like Ireland?

"The population of Cork City and its immediate suburbs was 208,669 according to the 2016 census, with in excess of 300,000 in the Metropolitan Cork area." ( via https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cork_(city)#Demographics )

Plenty of room for expansion AND Cork also has the second largest natural harbour in the world by navigational area. Another vastly under utilized resource by Ireland?

Home - Cork City Development Plan

Cork City Development Plan 2015‐2021

Of course factored into this is the ever promised but never delivered Cork to Limerick motorway & maybe the same to Waterford to complete the ring?
Surely Belfast is the 2nd city of Ireland?

robut

runwiththewind

Goal 2???

What a load of BS. This is waffle. Where in ANY city in the world is social inclusion going to come into it? This is purely aspirational rubbish.

Cork is never going to be a counter balance. The economy of Dublin will always be number one. Cork should be expanded but that requires a HUGE amount of infrastructure. Currently the airport is not supporting enough flights for that to happen.
Cork actually produdes more GDP per person at 105,000 euros. Dublin 95,000 and London 102,000, according to the Sunday Business Post's supplement on Cork a few weeks ago.

Volatire

Cork actually produdes more GDP per person at 105,000 euros. Dublin 95,000 and London 102,000, according to the Sunday Business Post's supplement on Cork a few weeks ago.
GDP is meaningless because of MNCs.

Man or Mouse

Irish Gov has been trying that country-wide since the 1920's and has been failing miserably.

How is this new?

Cork will never attract the same (international) investment as Dublin so its a non starter straight away unless there is a indigenous miracle.
Maybe if they got rid of the accent first?

RodShaft

Had to be done :D ... BUT a genuine serious thing to consider for our country? .. THE DUBLIN COUNTER BALANCE

I remember in Urban Geography in College it was always said that a major city in any country. especially smaller countries needs a counter balance. To date in Ireland this has not happened.

For such a small country is it healthy for its economy to have such a large and growing concentration of population and business / jobs up the east coast in Dublin?

Should Irelands 2nd city be this counter balance?

However their are utterances that the current 2nd city should not be that counter balance. That it should be Limerick or Galway?

Limerick can be a counterbalance to Dublin, says Chamber : Limerick Post Newspaper

Just because Cork is the 2nd city does it in fact deserve to remain that and be the Dublin counter balance? Is it geographically good for this even in a small country like Ireland?

"The population of Cork City and its immediate suburbs was 208,669 according to the 2016 census, with in excess of 300,000 in the Metropolitan Cork area." ( via https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cork_(city)#Demographics )

Plenty of room for expansion AND Cork also has the second largest natural harbour in the world by navigational area. Another vastly under utilized resource by Ireland?

Home - Cork City Development Plan

Cork City Development Plan 2015‐2021

Of course factored into this is the ever promised but never delivered Cork to Limerick motorway & maybe the same to Waterford to complete the ring?
Goal 8. Build a wall around it. Fence it in like Gaza, but with less sensitivity to the locals. Over time settle it with civilized normal people who aren't up their own holes. Keep moving the wall towards the coast.

We'd have the problem sorted in a few years...

max99

Cork is a wonderful town. I was there recently on business after a long absence and I was struck again by it's charm and livability.

The sing-song accent reminds me of yeshiva bochurs.

No pub in the British Isles can compare with the Hi-B (I'd love to open something similar in London, just a little living room where cell phones are banished).

The Hayfield Manor is one of the few hotels that can compare with the Merrion in Dublin.

But I'm sorry to say that it will never hold a candle to Dublin economically and the notion of 'balanced development' is little more than a national totem and a pipe dream. Holding back Dublin is not sensible in my view.
The sing song accent reminds me of chainsaws.... can't suffer Carrkk accent...:roll:

Bea C

Goal 8. Build a wall around it. Fence it in like Gaza, but with less sensitivity to the locals. Over time settle it with civilized normal people who aren't up their own holes. Keep moving the wall towards the coast.

We'd have the problem sorted in a few years...
I was born there.
I spent eight years at college there.
And I intend moving back there very soon.

Wall or no wall.

RodShaft

I was born there.
I spent eight years at college there.
And I intend moving back there very soon.

Wall or no wall.
I'll send you a ladder.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom