• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Make them speak English...

McDave

Just listening to RTE 6.01 News read by Siun Ni Gearailt. She just cannot pronounce English to a standard acceptable to a national news service.

First off: she "walcomes" us to "Six One Nooz", quickly followed by a reference to a "referendum compaign".

Among the other legion mispronunciations: "taken hastage"; "Carlew" (the town in Co Carlow, I suppose); "weekand".

It really is long past time RTE dealt with this butchery of pronunciation, by introducing guidelines on what presenters may not say. Or giving them elocution lessons. What might be acceptable on "Span" FM is quite simply a needless pandering to speech fashion on flagship public service programmes.

peader odonnell

she is not dublin 4 so what ,she has a nice kerry accent ,and i say this as someone who isnt from kerry,have you heard sharon ni bholain mangle the english language?

TommyO'Brien

Agreed. She has a history of it.

(Though I suppose this site can hardly condemn her, given that most posters here cannot spell!)

McDave

she is not dublin 4 so what ,she has a nice kerry accent ,and i say this as someone who isnt from kerry,have you heard sharon ni bholain mangle the english language?
Who said she was D4? I'm going by what she's saying, not where she's from (it's not K4 by any chance, is it?). A nice accent is that of the lady (Claire) currently reading the sport (although she's just said Ort-Ee-Ee - ouch!!)

peader odonnell

Who said she was D4? I'm going by what she's saying, not where she's from (it's not K4 by any chance, is it?). A nice accent is that of the lady (Claire) currently reading the sport (although she's just said Ort-Ee-Ee - ouch!!)
susan byrne and john finnerty are the best two with rte, you can hear very word, and brid og ni bhuchalla is the best as gaeilge, her voice turns me on no end.

McDave

fergalr

BBC used to have an insistance on a certain accent but ditched that years ago.

flavirostris

She is a total fox, the pronunciation wouldn't worry me.

liamfoley

I looked at this thread because I thought it might be about immigrants, have to say though that I totally agree, it's not just RTE though, I worked in a call centre to pay for tuition and had problems understanding people from throughout the country, it was the D4 types that were the worst, had a great time taking the pi*s though

flavirostris

Yep, she could butcher a seal pup on TV and I wouldn't care, whatever about butchering the language...
she's married to the baldy Donegal dude from TG4 unfortunately

Baron von Biffo

Just listening to RTE 6.01 News read by Siun Ni Gearailt. She just cannot pronounce English to a standard acceptable to a national news service.

First off: she "walcomes" us to "Six One Nooz", quickly followed by a reference to a "referendum compaign".

Among the other legion mispronunciations: "taken hastage"; "Carlew" (the town in Co Carlow, I suppose); "weekand".

It really is long past time RTE dealt with this butchery of pronunciation, by introducing guidelines on what presenters may not say. Or giving them elocution lessons. What might be acceptable on "Span" FM is quite simply a needless pandering to speech fashion on flagship public service programmes.
The worst used to be Emma (can't remember her second name) who read the business news on Radio1. She's using the odd vowel now but she was incomprehensible in the past.

At the end of her slot she would refer the listeners "Ardee e doddi e fwrd slsh bznis" for more information.

flavirostris

omma mocnomora

peader odonnell

flavirostris

Cael

You should be listening to An Nuacht, and you would hear excellent pronunciation. What do you want to listen to mealy mouthed Sasanach drivel for anyway?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies